The Republican Utopia

6 hours ago, Scarlet said:

Can anyone explain why you wouldn't condemn a coup and subsequent military crackdown on protesters against that coup, which has resulted in the murder of hundreds if not thousands of citizens supporting the duly elected government?  Unless of course you identify with that kind of action.

Ok I'll play along.

A) because most couldn't point out Myanmar on a map.  "Sounds funny, where is that?"

B) to own the libs.  

C) they haven't the foggiest that China has its mitts all over southeast Asia and while they want to look all hard on China for their base, they really don't have the energy to dig deep.   They don't know or care about Chinese expansionism in a region they never set foot in and besides, why stand up for democracy for ferners? 

18 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I 100% disagree with his thoughts here.  

Sharing this post from the "Democratic Utopia" thread in the "Republican Utopia" thread since I think it might fit in better here.  

After all, wasn't the argument for reopening the economy at the cost of our senior citizens presented from the GOP leaders.  Grandma and grandpa were a price some were willing to pay to make our society "meaningful" again...:dunno 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
24 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Sharing this post from the "Democratic Utopia" thread in the "Republican Utopia" thread since I think it might fit in better here.  

After all, wasn't the argument for reopening the economy at the cost of our senior citizens presented from the GOP leaders.  Grandma and grandpa were a price some were willing to pay to make our society "meaningful" again...:dunno 

no they weren’t.  
I think everyone understands what you are trying to do with that post but it doesn’t work.  Re-opening the economy does not force a single person to go outside and visit a single store if they don’t want to.  It also doesn’t preclude anyone from wearing one, two, or three masks when around anyone else if they want to.

It does allow people to get or retain their job, business, and livelihood.   

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

no they weren’t.  
I think everyone understands what you are trying to do with that post but it doesn’t work.  Re-opening the economy does not force a single person to go outside and visit a single store if they don’t want to.  It also doesn’t preclude anyone from wearing one, two, or three masks when around anyone else if they want to.

It does allow people to get or retain their job, business, and livelihood.   

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/texas-lt-gov-dan-patrick-says-grandparents-are-willing-to-die-to-save-economy-for-their-grandkids-2020-03-23

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

Just now, Archy1221 said:

And what does that story have to do with the discussion at hand.  You are making it a one or the other deal and it’s not.  

it also has nothing to do with the Ezekiel Emmanuel article. 

One guy says he's willing to be done living at 75 if it means not taking up resources to make life better for younger folks.

The other guy says he's willing to risk dying if it means opening up society and make life better for younger folks.

I don't think they are that much different, context aside...

• Plus1 2
46 minutes ago, funhusker said:

So I wonder if he will ask for doctor assisted suicide when he turns 75 or is that just for 'other people'??  People over 75 have a lot to offer and do offer the world.  If he can't make his life meaningful then that is on him.