The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

How is this method of execution, or any other for that matter, humane?  This is crazy

Pro-birth ≠ Pro-life apparently

Correct.  Those scumbags on death row had their chance at life, and chose to rape and kill.  Unborn babies are helpless and haven’t had their chance.  Quite the difference in my mind.  

• Plus1 2

35 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Correct.  Those scumbags on death row had their chance at life, and chose to rape and kill.  Unborn babies are helpless and haven’t had their chance.  Quite the difference in my mind.  

And those that are falsely convicted waiting on death row?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

If that's your position, great.  Just don't go around parading as a pro-life Christian.  

• Plus1 2
12 hours ago, ZRod said:

And those that are falsely convicted waiting on death row?

Probably going through the appeals process I guess.  Hopefully they get their justice and compensation for years in jail lost.  

And those millions of babies who never had a chance?  

• Plus1 1

58 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Probably going through the appeals process I guess.  Hopefully they get their justice and compensation for years in jail lost.  

I'm not the one making broad general statementd here.

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

They are in heaven and lucky that they get to stay in heaven. Now there is no way they will be eternally tortured in hell. What God should do with everyone if he actually loved us. This is your doctrine, not mine. And if its true, I would have much rather been aborted and spend eternity in heaven then be put on this earth for 70-80 years with the possibility of being sent to hell for the rest of time.

41 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

They are in heaven and lucky that they get to stay in heaven. Now there is no way they will be eternally tortured in hell. What God should do with everyone if he actually loved us. This is your doctrine, not mine. And if its true, I would have much rather been aborted and spend eternity in heaven then be put on this earth for 70-80 years with the possibility of being sent to hell for the rest of time.

Okie dokie.  Another disingenuous post about religion.  Or possibly a bad attempt at humor in the killing of babies.  A little hard to tell.  

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Okie dokie.  Another disingenuous post about religion.  Or possibly a bad attempt at humor in the killing of babies.  A little hard to tell.  

Not humor. If Christianity is real, these babies are the lucky ones and I envy them. They get to spend eternity in heaven and avoid disease, famine, hunger, work, debt, sickness, despair, sadness, death. You think they really care when they are in heaven? I sure as hell wouldnt. Id be like hell yeah, Im in heaven enjoying paradise with unendless love while my piece of s#!t parents are down there dealing with all the BS life has to offer. And then after life, they will be spending eternity being tormented and tortured. Sucks to be them!

3 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Not humor. If Christianity is real, these babies are the lucky ones and I envy them. They get to spend eternity in heaven and avoid disease, famine, hunger, work, debt, sickness, despair, sadness, death. You think they really care when they are in heaven? I sure as hell wouldnt. Id be like hell yeah, Im in heaven enjoying paradise with unendless love while my piece of s#!t parents are down there dealing with all the BS life has to offer. And then after life, they will be spending eternity being tormented and tortured. Sucks to be them!

Ok, I'm thinking out loud here and I don't want to hijack this thread but :

What if what we were taught in Sunday School or Catechism was wrong - about the hell part?  :dunno (Hint: I think we are all 'lucky') There are many  theologians today who would not push the 'hell' half of that equation.  My favorite is NT Wright.  What if the salvation of Christ is more 'Universal' than what  western  Christianity   has preached.  The Eastern Orthodox Church - the part that split from the Catholic Church in the great schism of 1054 is of that persuasion.  Here is a short video on what they say about the subject:

https://www.goarch.org/-/heaven-and-hell

I, for one, am becoming more convinced of the immense love of God and His patience towards all of us - the aborted baby, the living baby, the parents who aborted the baby, the parents who kept their baby and old people like me and young people like you - those who have a heart towards God, and those who's heart has been hurt and have turned from God.  He loves us all.     Some have interpreted Revelations 21:25 that the gates of heaven won't be shut on anyone, at any time.  The Spirit and the Bride keep saying "Come"

https://www.amazon.com/Her-Gates-Will-Never-Shut/dp/1606088823

Everlasting hell and divine judgment, a lake of fire and brimstone--these mainstays of evangelical tradition have come under fire once again in recent decades. Would the God of love revealed by Jesus really consign the vast majority of humankind to a destiny of eternal, conscious torment? Is divine mercy bound by the demands of justice? How can anyone presume to know who is saved from the flames and who is not? Reacting to presumptions in like manner, others write off the fiery images of final judgment altogether. If there is a God who loves us, then surely all are welcome into the heavenly kingdom, regardless of their beliefs or behaviors in this life. Yet, given the sheer volume of threat rhetoric in the Scriptures and the wickedness manifest in human history, the pop-universalism of our day sounds more like denial than hope. Mercy triumphs over judgment; it does not skirt it. Her Gates Will Never Be Shut endeavors to reconsider what the Bible and the Church have actually said about hell and hope, noting a breadth of real possibilities that undermines every presumption. The polyphony of perspectives on hell and hope offered by the prophets, apostles, and Jesus humble our obsessive need to harmonize every text into a neat theological system. But they open the door to the eternal hope found in Revelation 21-22: the City whose gates will never be shut; where the Spirit and Bride perpetually invite the thirsty who are outside the city to "Come, drink of the waters of life."

Another good read on the subject is - written by an Eastern Orthodox theologian. 
https://www.amazon.com/That-All-Shall-Saved-Universal/dp/0300246226/ref=pd_bxgy_img_3/147-2797614-4772122?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0300246226&pd_rd_r=41a4fc54-b901-4bc8-b152-3e57e2865db0&pd_rd_w=9hJj2&pd_rd_wg=ILZcp&pf_rd_p=fd3ebcd0-c1a2-44cf-aba2-bbf4810b3732&pf_rd_r=EE1AH4BW2GAWV2CQQMXA&psc=1&refRID=EE1AH4BW2GAWV2CQQMXA

A stunning reexamination of one of the essential tenets of Christian belief from one of the most provocative and admired writers on religion today

“A scathing, vigorous, eloquent attack on those who hold that that there is such a thing as eternal damnation.”—Karen Kilby, Commonweal

The great fourth‑century church father Basil of Caesarea once observed that, in his time, most Christians believed that hell was not everlasting, and that all would eventually attain salvation. But today, this view is no longer prevalent within Christian communities.

In this momentous book, David Bentley Hart makes the case that nearly two millennia of dogmatic tradition have misled readers on the crucial matter of universal salvation. On the basis of the earliest Christian writings, theological tradition, scripture, and logic, Hart argues that if God is the good creator of all, he is the savior of all, without fail. And if he is not the savior of all, the Kingdom is only a dream, and creation something considerably worse than a nightmare. But it is not so. There is no such thing as eternal damnation; all will be saved. With great rhetorical power, wit, and emotional range, Hart offers a new perspective on one of Christianity’s most important themes.

I found this to be a very good read, easy to follow and a more approachable book by Pastor Brian Zahnd:

https://www.amazon.com/Sinners-Hands-Loving-God-Scandalous/dp/1601429517/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1MLMA13R9P9T9&dchild=1&keywords=sinners+in+the+hands+of+a+loving+god&qid=1620338643&s=books&sprefix=sinners+in+th%2Cstripbooks%2C192&sr=1-1

God is wrath? Or God is Love?

In his famous sermon “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God,” Puritan revivalist Jonathan Edwards shaped predominating American theology with a vision of God as angry, violent, and retributive. Three centuries later, Brian Zahnd was both mesmerized and terrified by Edwards’s wrathful God. Haunted by fear that crippled his relationship with God, Zahnd spent years praying for a divine experience of hell.

What Zahnd experienced instead was the Father’s love—revealed perfectly through Jesus Christ—for all prodigal sons and daughters.

In Sinners in the Hands of a Loving God, Zahnd asks important questions like: Is seeing God primarily as wrathful towards sinners true or biblical? Is fearing God a normal expected behavior? And where might the natural implications of this theological framework lead us?

Thoughtfully wrestling with subjects like Old Testament genocide, the crucifixion of Jesus, eternal punishment in hell, and the final judgment in Revelation, Zanhd maintains that the summit of divine revelation for sinners is not God is wrath, but God is love.

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Ok, I'm thinking out loud here and I don't want to hijack this thread but :

What if what we were taught in Sunday School or Catechism was wrong - about the hell part?  :dunno (Hint: I think we are all 'lucky') There are many  theologians today who would not push the 'hell' half of that equation.  My favorite is NT Wright.  What if the salvation of Christ is more 'Universal' than what  western  Christianity   has preached.  The Eastern Orthodox Church - the part that split from the Catholic Church in the great schism of 1054 is of that persuasion.  Here is a short video on what they say about the subject:

https://www.goarch.org/-/heaven-and-hell

I, for one, am becoming more convinced of the immense love of God and His patience towards all of us - the aborted baby, the living baby, the parents who aborted the baby, the parents who kept their baby and old people like me and young people like you - those who have a heart towards God, and those who's heart has been hurt and have turned from God.  He loves us all.     Some have interpreted Revelations 21:25 that the gates of heaven won't be shut on anyone, at any time.  The Spirit and the Bride keep saying "Come"

https://www.amazon.com/Her-Gates-Will-Never-Shut/dp/1606088823

Another good read on the subject is - written by an Eastern Orthodox theologian. 
https://www.amazon.com/That-All-Shall-Saved-Universal/dp/0300246226/ref=pd_bxgy_img_3/147-2797614-4772122?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0300246226&pd_rd_r=41a4fc54-b901-4bc8-b152-3e57e2865db0&pd_rd_w=9hJj2&pd_rd_wg=ILZcp&pf_rd_p=fd3ebcd0-c1a2-44cf-aba2-bbf4810b3732&pf_rd_r=EE1AH4BW2GAWV2CQQMXA&psc=1&refRID=EE1AH4BW2GAWV2CQQMXA

I found this to be a very good read, easy to follow and a more approachable book by Pastor Brian Zahnd:

https://www.amazon.com/Sinners-Hands-Loving-God-Scandalous/dp/1601429517/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1MLMA13R9P9T9&dchild=1&keywords=sinners+in+the+hands+of+a+loving+god&qid=1620338643&s=books&sprefix=sinners+in+th%2Cstripbooks%2C192&sr=1-1

I mean even if hell doesnt exist, isnt heaven better than Earth? Would you rather be in heaven or on Earth with parents that dont want you, wont love you and might even beat you when you piss them off? And even if they do give you up, you spend your lofe in foster homes and orphanges and hopefully are one of the select few to actually find a loving home. Its an easy answer for me. Thankfully, I dont believe in any of it and I have loving parents. Life still sucks sometimes, but I have a support system. Lots lf these kids dont and end up on death row where people

like archy then want to put them to death. 

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

I mean even if hell doesnt exist, isnt heaven better than Earth? Would you rather be in heaven or on Earth with parents that dont want you, wont love you and might even beat you when you piss them off? And even if they do give you up, you spend your lofe in foster homes and orphanges and hopefully are one of the select few to actually find a loving home. Its an easy answer for me. Thankfully, I dont believe in any of it and I have loving parents. Life still sucks sometimes, but I have a support system. Lots lf these kids dont and end up on death row where people

Yes life sucks for all of us at different times and sometimes more suck a than average for some people. But life is also beautiful and sometimes those who have had what appears to be the suckiest life turn it into the most beautiful tapestry. It all depends on how we choose to deal with the hand that has been dealt to us

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Wow.  Insanity at its finest

• Thanks 1