The Republican Utopia

18 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Huh...who would have ever guessed this story would unravel?  

Rebekah Jones smear by National Review finally challenged by MSNBC

Smearing her with irrelevant (and selectively-quoted) looks at her pre-employment history, they tell the story of a state-government whistleblower by...only talking to the people she blew the whistle on!   Bent on revenge, her former employers now obligingly divulge her personnel file (which the National Review again selectively quotes).  If you want the real story, turn to a local Florida PBS channel, which distills it down to two irrefutable sentences — which are backed by actual documents they obtained from the state.

"Internal emails at the [Florida health] department confirm that her [Rebekah Jones] superiors asked her to remove raw data from the dashboard after new reports showed the disease circulating in Florida as early as January. If she did, no outside party would be able to analyze the data. But Jones refused."

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

These endorsements. Sheesh.

Well to there it is again.  Evidence that policy trumps character, or it should, when deciding on a candidate, or so we've been told.  

The child bride victim of Bouchard killed herself at 20 but, hey, pro-life and such.  

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, knapplc said:

These endorsements. Sheesh.

this whole thing is just something that shouldn’t be in the political discussion.   

judging someone years later from something they did as an 18 year old is ridiculous.  Claiming he raped her is ridiculous.  Claiming he’s some highly moral individual because they didn’t abort the baby is ridiculous. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

It would be statutory rape under current Florida law and might have been at the time too depending on what year this happened.

I understand that. But, that is different than acting like he violently raped her. And, it’s not like he was a 30 year old going it.  Heck, probably doing the exact same thing a few months earlier would have been perfectly legal.  

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I understand that. But, that is different than acting like he violently raped her. And, it’s not like he was a 30 year old going it.  Heck, probably doing the exact same thing a few months earlier would have been perfectly legal.  

I guess minimizing statutory rape is one way to go.

8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I guess minimizing statutory rape is one way to go.

I have always had a problem with absolutes with age in these situations. So, I’m dating a girl younger than me.  I’m 17.  I’m having sex with her the day before my birthday. I’m fine. I have a birthday.  Now if I have sex with her I could be labeled a sexual predator for life.  Sorry, that doesn’t make sense. 

My son turns 21 in about 20 days.  He would get arrested for holding a beer now. In 21 days he won’t.  

doesn’t make sense.  

• Plus1 4

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have always had a problem with absolutes with age in these situations. So, I’m dating a girl younger than me.  I’m 17.  I’m having sex with her the day before my birthday. I’m fine. I have a birthday.  Now if I have sex with her I could be labeled a sexual predator for life.  Sorry, that doesn’t make sense. 

I've looked into the Florida law. Here's my interpretation (not a lawyer). There's a few categories:

• Age of consent is 18 (any two consenting partners 18 and over having sex is legal)
  • Anyone having sex with a minor under the age of 12 is rape
  • Anyone over 24 having sex with anyone under 18 is rape
  • Someone 18-24 having sex with a consenting partner that is 16-17 is not rape

There's also a "Romoe and Juliet" exception if the parties are within 4 years of age, but that exception is only for having to registering as a sex offender and does not appear to me (not a lawyer) to apply to the statutory rape charges themselves.

Make of that what you will.

10 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I've looked into the Florida law. Here's my interpretation (not a lawyer). There's a few categories:

• Age of consent is 18 (any two consenting partners 18 and over having sex is legal)

There's also a "Romoe and Juliet" exception if the parties are within 4 years of age, but that exception is only for having to registering as a sex offender and does not appear to me (not a lawyer) to apply to the statutory rape charges themselves.

I take it as this situation is not rape. 18 and 14.  

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

What was the law circa 1980?

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I take it as this situation is not rape. 18 and 14.  

You'd have to ask a lawyer, but it's still rape the way I'm reading the law. Bouchard was 18 and the girl was 14 (under the 16). The "Romeo and Juliet" exception appears to only reduce sentencing to not having to register as a sex offender.