The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

That guy may be right at this point with all the Fauci backtracks and his record on the early part of the AIDS epidemic. :)

I’d put a lot of money on Fauci if there was a debate between the two.

I mean an actual debate. Like one with actual evidence and logic the basis of scoring.

Not the current definition of debate where the goal is to “own” the other.

I miss smart Republicans.

• Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I’d put a lot of money on Fauci if there was a debate between the two.

I mean an actual debate. Like one with actual evidence and logic the basis of scoring.

Not the current definition of debate where the goal is to “own” the other.

I miss smart Republicans.

I miss people who can’t take jokes about the almighty Fauci.   Of course Dr. Seuss is not on par with Fauci in medical related matters.  And of course Fauci made mistakes along the way and was behind the curve with Covid and the initial treatment during the AIDS epidemic.   

doesn’t mean he is an awful or stupid human being.  It means he was wrong at times just like everyone else during Covid and his wrongness should be called out every bit as hard as others.  

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I miss people who can’t take jokes about the almighty Fauci.   Of course Dr. Seuss is not on par with Fauci in medical related matters.  And of course Fauci made mistakes along the way and was behind the curve with Covid and the initial treatment during the AIDS epidemic.   

doesn’t mean he is an awful or stupid human being.  It means he was wrong at times just like everyone else during Covid and his wrongness should be called out every bit as hard as others.  

It's not a joke.  There has been a concerted effort on the right to hate on Dr Fauci.  It's because he dared to contradict the almighty Trump.  Whom the majority of your party unconditionally adores.  

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

It's not a joke.  There has been a concerted effort on the right to hate on Dr Fauci.  It's because he dared to contradict the almighty Trump.  Whom the majority of your party unconditionally adores.  

And you will agree that some of those contradictions or disputes by Fauci were indeed wrong as some were indeed right 

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

And you will agree that some of those contradictions or disputes by Fauci were indeed wrong as some were indeed right 

As far as I know, Fauci at least was making decisions based on what we knew at the time.  Some positions changed as we learned more.  There is nothing wrong with that.

Some people may have “ultimately” been right about things but made their claims based on their guts.  In other words, they guessed.  There is a lot wrong with that.

• Plus1 3

The t-shirt would be funny if it didn't represent a very tangible perspective held by many Republicans and far right extremists, people who legitimately rebuke science and ongoing COVID research. People who routinely took any and all opportunity to criticize or contradict scientists (not just Fauci)... scientists at virtually every turn over the last 12-14 months.

No rational person would say science has been 100% accurate over the last year, nor that scientists are above criticism. That shirt represents a very real mindset... one targeted at discrediting and humiliating Fauci... which is bizarre, considering there's very little evidence to suggest Fauci did anything out of ill-intent in the last year.

Maybe the next time that guy needs to go to the hospital, he can trust his medical care to a children's book author, too.

• Plus1 1

Here's Trump's handpicked National Security Advisor saying there is no reason a coup a la Myanmar should not happen here. "It should"  When the question is posed "why can't there be a coup here like in 'Minamar'?" the crowd erupts.  Trump's gaslighting on full, bone chilling display. 

Remember when we were told there was no need to be concerned about a coup?

Good times

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

As far as I know, Fauci at least was making decisions based on what we knew at the time.  Some positions changed as we learned more.  There is nothing wrong with that.

Some people may have “ultimately” been right about things but made their claims based on their guts.  In other words, they guessed.  There is a lot wrong with that.

Saying that the virus DID NOT come from a “wet market” that is nowhere close in location to the species of bats that supposedly carried the Covid-19 virus is more than just a “gut feeling”.   Remember that’s the story we were told and most media latched into while calling the WIV theory “debunked”. 

We knew schools were safe based on European data months and months before Fauci even would say it’s possible schools are ok to be in person.  

Fauci said late Q3/earlyQ4 2021 and possibly into 2022 would be the EARLIEST we would see vaccines come out.  Others had said much earlier including the companies doing the research. 

All that was more than “gut feelings” or “guesses”. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

There isn't a scientist or medical expert in the world who hasn't had to do a 180 based on new information or circumstances.  Of course he has.  He's human.  But he's damn smart and good at what he does.  He never wanted COVID to be political, but the right has made it that way with him, take his grilling at the hands of Jim Jordan, for example.... and it really irks me because my field is close enough to his that I know he's right and he's trying to do the best he can, with the information that we have, to keep people safe from COVID.  So when I see an imbecile like the one wearing the shirt a few posts above, it really pisses me off.

• Plus1 5
15 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Saying that the virus DID NOT come from a “wet market” that is nowhere close in location to the species of bats that supposedly carried the Covid-19 virus is more than just a “gut feeling”.   Remember that’s the story we were told and most media latched into while calling the WIV theory “debunked”. 

We knew schools were safe based on European data months and months before Fauci even would say it’s possible schools are ok to be in person.  

Fauci said late Q3/earlyQ4 2021 and possibly into 2022 would be the EARLIEST we would see vaccines come out.  Others had said much earlier including the companies doing the research. 

All that was more than “gut feelings” or “guesses”. 

Dr Fauci joins the thousands of experts, who when asked to advise on public policy errs on the side of caution.

if we’re going back to the early days of the pandemic, and the people most dangerously and willfully wrong on the subject, you could make a lot of unfunny t-shirts.

• Plus1 2