The Republican Utopia

Cruz thinks our military is going to turn into pansies and become emasculated if diversity is promoted, which got me to thinking...

How masculine and physically tough does a military need to be today to win? We can kill people while sitting at a computer or holding a remote control now. We will probably always need specialized troops that are in peak physical condition but there is also room for people who are just extremely smart.

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Cruz thinks our military is going to turn into pansies and become emasculated if diversity is promoted, which got me to thinking...

How masculine and physically tough does a military need to be today to win? We can kill people while sitting at a computer or holding a remote control now. We will probably always need specialized troops that are in peak physical condition but there is also room for people who are just extremely smart.

Ask the People who have been stuck in the mountains of Afghanistan and Iraq the last 20 years. 

• Oh Yeah! 2
4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I would sort of like our military to be strong and smart.  

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I would sort of like our military to be strong and smart.  

Agreed

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ask the People who have been stuck in the mountains of Afghanistan and Iraq the last 20 years. 

Ask them what? Maybe we don't need to be chasing Taliban into the mountains - it didn't work.

10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Agreed

Ask them what? Maybe we don't need to be chasing Taliban into the mountains - it didn't work.

Weather they should have been there is irrelevant. 

We need a strong, smart kick a$$ military. 

And, we could still have that with diversity and being much smaller and without sending them places they shouldn’t be. 

• Plus1 2

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Weather they should have been there is irrelevant. 

We need a strong, smart kick a$$ military. 

And, we could still have that with diversity and being much smaller and without sending them places they shouldn’t be. 

It isn't irrelevant, because the question is do we need every member of the military to be like that. And is what you're saying much different than what I said? By your response you thought it was, but I stated "We will probably always need specialized troops that are in peak physical condition"

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It isn't irrelevant, because the question is do we need every member of the military to be like that. And is what you're saying much different than what I said? By your response you thought it was, but I stated "We will probably always need specialized troops that are in peak physical condition"

How is that different than what we have now?

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

How is that different than what we have now?

Re-read my original post I guess. It's stupid to obsess over being super manly and macho these days when we aren't sword fighting and often times not even on the ground shooting. We should always have forces in peak physical condition but we don't need to say dumbs#!t like Cruz is saying or worry that Russia thinks our biceps aren't big enough. We can kill people with the touch of a button and should work at getting even better at that with our big brains. It's stupid to even mention being pansies or emasculated when we have so much fire power that doesn't require whatever his idea of masculinity is.

Russia's ad was akin to Nebraska pushing out a pump up video of 250+ lb dudes deadlifting twice their body weight and yelling at the ceiling while snorting lines of pre-workout and eating a 40 oz. steak.

It doesn't matter. We had those kinds of videos during the Riley era and then we all saw what happened on Saturdays.

That said, I get what Cruz and others are taking issue with. It's about image, and that particular ad runs in pretty stark contrast to what the military is at its very nature: deadly and dangerous. But, whatever commercial our country is running to try and boost recruiting doesn't really impact their ability to do their jobs. People who want to train to become elite special forces are out there, just as much as there's someone out there who will excel at being a behind-the-scenes mechanic or intelligence operative. And the people who don't belong or can't do the job will get weeded out as they always have.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Re-read my original post I guess. It's stupid to obsess over being super manly and macho these days when we aren't sword fighting and often times not even on the ground shooting. We should always have forces in peak physical condition but we don't need to say dumbs#!t like Cruz is saying or worry that Russia thinks our biceps aren't big enough. We can kill people with the touch of a button and should work at getting even better at that with our big brains. It's stupid to even mention being pansies or emasculated when we have so much fire power that doesn't require whatever his idea of masculinity is.

On the ground combat, or not, I can't imagine masculinity, or whatever comes with that, not being preferred in a military setting.

Just now, DevoHusker said:

Regular? Or reserve/guard?

Both.

• Plus1 1