The Republican Utopia

10 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Because it still is taking a shot at someone that the Tweeter disagrees with politically. Because Noem is trying to assist with border security. A majority of US citizens feel that border security is crucial, including roughly 50% of registered Ds. Is it theatrical, as @knapplcsays...? Sure. But most politicians are.

So you admit it's theater, which means Noem isn't actually trying to assist, but you still disagree with making fun of the politician that's doing the political theater. Seems pretty inconsistent.

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

A secure border is a keystone to increased legal immigration. A few things that (even non-racists) feel are important are improving border security, better enforcement of existing immigration laws for those that overstay visas, but also improve and enlarge the temporary worker program.

I thought Biden announced he shut the border? Why didn’t that help? :ahhhhhhhh 

I noticed in the last election map that many of the Texas districts along the border were blue , but in one of districts, the town of  McCallen Texas just elected a Republican Mayor by 17 points. He is Hispanic. The population of McCallen is 85% Hispanic. I suspect the real crisis that Democrats care about is those districts flipping. 

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, nic said:

I thought Biden announced he shut the border? Why didn’t that help? :ahhhhhhhh 

I noticed in the last election map that many of the Texas districts along the border were blue , but in one of districts, the town of  McCallen Texas just elected a Republican Mayor by 17 points. He is Hispanic. The population of McCallen is 85% Hispanic. I suspect the real crisis that Democrats care about is those districts flipping. 

What?

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

So you admit it's theater, which means Noem isn't actually trying to assist, but you still disagree with making fun of the politician that's doing the political theater. Seems pretty inconsistent.

Not what I said. Pretty sure I have stated that I feel border security is an issue I believe needs to be strengthened. I also have stated that I feel increased legal immigration is also needed.

And, I can disagree with Not Brian taking a shot at a politician regardless of your viewpoint on my consistency. 

2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

According to you/your opinion.

Many others say that even the 1050 are not enough, and more are needed. 

They aren't though. We keep adding more border agents and the apprehensions per agent decreases. We definitely do not need the national guard there, nor do we need more border agents. And we are going to face worse and worse labor shortages. We need more immigrants, not less. We should reduce the the # of agents and increase the maximum number of legal immigrants we accept.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Not what I said. Pretty sure I have stated that I feel border security is an issue I believe needs to be strengthened. I also have stated that I feel increased legal immigration is also needed.

And, I can disagree with Not Brian taking a shot at a politician regardless of your viewpoint on my consistency. 

It being political theater means that it's performative and not actually helpful, so it is what you said. If you want to instead make the argument that 50 guards is actually helpful, then do so. But as I've already posted, it's a tiny drop in the bucket - regardless of beliefs about border security.

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

It being political theater means that it's performative and not actually helpful, so it is what you said. If you want to instead make the argument that 50 guards is actually helpful, then do so. But as I've already posted, it's a tiny drop in the bucket - regardless of beliefs about border security.

It's also the wrong kind of "help." 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Things don't have to only be this or that. It can be helpful, and she may have announced it theatrically. Not too hard of a concept to grasp. 

50 alone would be a drop in the bucket. 50+300+500+250 et cetera becomes meaningful when "doing the math."

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Pretty sure I have stated that I feel border security is an issue I believe needs to be strengthened. I also have stated that I feel increased legal immigration is also needed.

Can you tell me what is being done and what has been done in the last 10 years to increase legal immigration?

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Can you tell me what is being done and what has been done in the last 10 years to increase legal immigration?

President Donald Trump has had a singular focus on restricting immigration, and his administration has issued more than 400 executive actions that have reshaped the U.S. immigration system. Yet for all its efforts, the administration’s success in actually reducing the number of legal immigrants admitted to the United States has been notably limited. The overall number of admissions—both on a permanent and temporary basis—declined only somewhat during most of the Trump years, remaining largely in line with broader trends that predated it. This changed with the COVID-19 pandemic, which brought about a dramatic reduction in immigration unlike anything seen in years.   https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/trump-effect-immigration-reality

I don't think anything has been done to increase it...which is why I say it is needed.

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

I don't think anything has been done to increase it...which is why I say it is needed.

Agree.  Everything that is always talked about is reducing immigration (both legal and illegal).  I have a real problem supporting the efforts to only do one side of the equation.

If you want me to support sending troops to the border, propose what you are also working on to increase legal immigration. (not you, I'm saying that to politicians)

We need immigration BADLY. 

• Plus1 3
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Agree.  Everything that is always talked about is reducing immigration (both legal and illegal).  I have a real problem supporting the efforts to only do one side of the equation.

If you want me to support sending troops to the border, propose what you are also working on to increase legal immigration. (not you, I'm saying that to politicians)

We need immigration BADLY. 

same 

• Plus1 1
On 6/26/2021 at 4:26 PM, admo said:

And, this is also what Desantis said regarding crt teaching

“Critical Race Theory is basically teaching people to hate our country, hate each other,” DeSantis said in March. “It’s divisive, and it’s basically an identity politics version of Marxism. Dividing kids on race, attacking law enforcement and saying law enforcement attacks people on race. Those things are poison, and that’s not what we should be doing (teaching).”

So he's a liar and he's purposefully obfuscating the message. 

• Plus1 2