The Republican Utopia

22 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I didn't say that, but yeah, teach kids all they want about the impact slavery had on our country, and past civil rights violations. That's great. We learned all about that 20 years ago when I was in high school. I'm glad we're on the same page.

I was in high school several year before that, and mostly what I remember is that Lincoln freed the slaves after the Civil War, a century went by, and then Martin Luther King led the Civil Rights movement, and now black people are getting elected and starring in their own tv shows. Case closed. 

Last week, Mitch McConnel reminded us that "African-Americans voters are voting in just as high a percentage as Americans" as a way to distract from the GOP refusing to let the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act reach the Senate floor. 

I dunno, man. Seems like some issues demand more reflection. You can call it tribalism or classism, but it's not like racism isn't a major component.  History isn't supposed to make you feel comfortable, but at the very least you're supposed to learn from it. 

• Plus1 2

11 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

So much for the rule of law.  Didn't the GOP once call itself the party of law and order?

Good god….now people are going to run with this.

There is a significant portion of our population that is just plain dumb.  I don’t have any idea how this can be dealt with when they are actually proud of how idiotic they are.

18 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

So much for the rule of law.  Didn't the GOP once call itself the party of law and order?

Whether we agree with Newt or not on what he said, he clearly spoke to his interpretation of What’s happening with the commission.  He believes people are breaking laws in the process of doing what they are doing.  He didn’t say they should go to jail purely for having a commission and investigation. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Whether we agree with Newt or not on what he said, he clearly spoke to his interpretation of What’s happening with the commission.  He believes people are breaking laws in the process of doing what they are doing.  He didn’t say they should go to jail purely for having a commission and investigation. 

What laws would those be?

28 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I wonder if he expanded and said exactly what laws are being broken.

My guess, just a hunch, is he is just throwing out the “jail thing” because that’s what American politics has reduced to.  If we don’t like it, it just has to be a crime!

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I wonder if he expanded and said exactly what laws are being broken.

My guess, just a hunch, is he is just throwing out the “jail thing” because that’s what American politics has reduced to.  If we don’t like it, it just has to be a crime!

Probably so.  

33 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

What laws would those be?

Don’t know what he is referencing.  I wouldn’t think there would be any but I’m also not a lawyer 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Probably a good idea. But, I think you know I'm not suggesting we don't teach about slavery or the civil rights movement in the 60s etc.

Slavery, the Civil War and freeing the slaves and Underground Railroad, and MLK/Rosa Parks were the only things I/we ever learned in school (at any level), and those were from a very 30,000 foot view.

Here's a non-exhaustive list of some things I've learned about as an adult since leaving the education system. I'm curious if you think any of these are inappropriate to teach in public school history/social studies curriculum?

Redlining

The Indian Removal Act and the Homestead Act

The Naturalization Act

Jim Crowe

The Tuskegee Airmen Experiments

The Social Security Act excluding agricultural workers and domestic servants (read, black, mexican and asian)

The GI Bill

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Don’t know what he is referencing.  I wouldn’t think there would be any but I’m also not a lawyer 

Sounds more like the commission is doing their job according to the law and it's making some people really uncomfortable. 

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m seems they are doing their job, though I highly doubt Newt has anything to do with Jan 6th.   Not sure he is uncomfortable. 

No but he's a politico who's working for the party.  He'll run a disinformation campaign like this at the drop of a hat.

I couldn't find anything where he was talking about specific laws being broken.  Just generalities about the Jan 6th commission running roughshod over people.  Basically he has nothing but it was a pretty ominous threat he made.  Hopefully it's not a harbinger of things to come.

• Plus1 1
21 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'm okay with uncomfortable conversations, but are you suggesting that white children should be willing to feel guilt for past government and current culture failures?

You teach history and try to stick to the facts. It's up to each person how they feel about it.

Some people think the same country that made them feel proud in World War II lost its moral compass in Vietnam. I don't feel personally guilty for that, but it does inform my views on U.S. foreign intervention. 

• Plus1 3

Ahhhh yes, my favorite.  Non teachers talking about how teachers teach.  Bunch of wannabes!

Now if you will excuse me I am catching a flight today and I have to let the pilet know how to take off and land.  

19 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Slavery, the Civil War and freeing the slaves and Underground Railroad, and MLK/Rosa Parks were the only things I/we ever learned in school (at any level), and those were from a very 30,000 foot view.

Here's a non-exhaustive list of some things I've learned about as an adult since leaving the education system. I'm curious if you think any of these are inappropriate to teach in public school history/social studies curriculum?

Redlining

The Indian Removal Act and the Homestead Act

The Naturalization Act

Jim Crowe

The Tuskegee Airmen Experiments

The Social Security Act excluding agricultural workers and domestic servants (read, black, mexican and asian)

The GI Bill

Bro...what crap school did you attend?  Haha

Or did you just skip a lot of classes?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

@teachercd do teachers get to pick and choose what historical topics they cover in classes?

I think Lorewarn's point was that in his education there were a lot of very important historical events skipped over.  I know there was in mine as well - shouldn't' there be some curriculum standard about what is taught?  And shouldn't all those examples be taught?