The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah. There is a very small minority of elected Republicans willing to call out the party's extremism, and they get treated like traitors and threatened with primary challenges by the party establishment. I hear the chatter, and presume it also takes place behind closed doors, but I do not see Republicans stepping up in public to provide an off-ramp for the party. 

If they are being treated like traitors in public, it’s much worse behind closed doors.  

41 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

For those you "left the Republican party," do you still vote Republican? Do you participate in any primaries? One issue we have here in America is the whole system is built for two party rule. So the extremes of both sides hold too much sway as far as who makes it through the primary and into the general election. 

In Nebraska, you almost have to be registered R to have any impact on statewide politics. 

I'm a registered Independent in Nebraska. I can choose to vote for a Republican, but that's rare. Most of them in the past few cycles have been TFG drones.

As an Independent you can choose from a few different ballots in the primary - Republican/Independent, Democrat/Independent, or no party Independent. I don't have to be registered for any particular party to vote in that party's primary. 

Being an Independent gives you much more freedom, at least in this state (and California, where we used to live).

I agree about the two-party system. It has held this country back far too long. And the dumb thing is, the Republican Party and the Democrat Party are just private clubs. People have been trained to associate them with "the government," but the government exists independently of these parties. 

• Plus1 2
43 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If they are being treated like traitors in public, it’s much worse behind closed doors.  

Maybe. But if you go back to January 6 and 7, you'll find every major figure in Republican leadership, and apparently many in the Fox News sphere, declaring the election was legit and distancing themselves from Trump as conventional wisdom suggested fashioning a Trump-free version of the Republican party as soon as possible.

I don't think Republican leadership wants MTG, Matt Gaetz, Lauren Bobert, Madison Cawthorne, and other QAnon-level true believers being the voice of the party. Frankly, they''d like to get Trump behind them. They didn't like or trust him in 2016, either. Behind closed doors, I gotta think many of them think more like Romney and Cheney. But they simply don't want to take phone calls or lose votes from the electoral base. And that electoral base is what made them declare January 6 "legitimate public discourse."  You won't find any of them saying that on January 7, 2021. 

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

There's no good reason for this. All this is doing is driving wedges between people.

We need to be banding together, not engaging in this petty crap.

Nope - and remember when Biden said "no national funding and support to FL" after the Surfside Building Collapse?  The Feb tornados?  Tropical Storm Fred?

Merica'

3 hours ago, Scarlet said:

What a coward.  His nonresponse took as long as it would have to actually respond.  

Well, to quote another Republican, a White-Nationalist is better than a Democrat.

It's not like voters are going to punish McCarthy or his party for refusing to condemn her. So why do it? 

• Plus1 3