The Republican Utopia

55 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kremlin-tv-hopes-putin-unhinged-095626302.html

Just saying.... It's super odd, that Russian propaganda is praying that their attack on Ukraine will help restore Trump to the Presidency. I mean why would they want someone who was "SOOOOOO Hard on them," leading the world opposition against their dreams of conquest. 

Putin’s invasion of Ukraine pitted Russia against most of the world, leaving Kremlin propagandists yearning for any tidbits of pro-Russian sentiment in the United States. These days, state television draws on a bounty of translated quotes almost exclusively from two Western voices: Tucker Carlson of Fox News and former U.S. President Donald J. Trump. They have a plan to reward them both: Carlson with a highly coveted interview with Russian President Vladimir Putin, and Trump with a freebie PR campaign designed to light his path back to the White House.

It boggles the mind why many GOP voters support these two when they're obviously suckling at the teat of Putin and his ilk.

To paraphrase the modern-day GOP on topics like Universal Health Care that Europeans are ahead of our country on...If you love Russia so much, why don't you move there?

• Plus1 2

5 hours ago, Enhance said:

And I think it’s the fact that some of his policies allegedly do represent Republican ideals is what’s concerning.

Would you be able to expand on this as I’m curious about which policies you are referring to.  Might give me a better idea of why you find him offensive or I guess a better way to say, not your type of candidate.   

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Your takeaway about people that don’t like Trump could not be further from reality. Sure there are democrats that are going to hate Trump or any republican but you aren’t giving any credit of critical thinking to moderates, independents or reasonable Republicans who can see through his bulls#!t.

Poor Donald, only sticking up for himself:facepalm: 

I wasn’t even referring to Trump.  What are you talking about? Geesh.   You may want to re-read the post you responded to.  

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I wasn’t even referring to Trump.  What are you talking about? Geesh.   You may want to re-read the post you responded to.  

Forgive me for not differentiating between Trump and DeSantis, not that it matters. What you said about Desantis applies equally to Trump and my comments apply equally to DeSantis. Both are POS catering to and exemplifying the worst elements in the R party. Deeply concerning that anyone would seriously consider either one for the top office.

• Plus1 4
4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:
29 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Forgive me for not differentiating between Trump and DeSantis, not that it matters.

It does matter, as you tried to rail against me for something I didn’t even say.  A simple “my bad” would have sufficed. 

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Both are POS catering to and exemplifying the worst elements in the R party. Deeply concerning that anyone would seriously consider either one for the top office.

I asked this if @Enhancealso (and I know will get a reply when he’s available)…what are the policies of DeSantis that make him so concerning to you?  What elements are you assigning to him that make him so bad in your eyes? 

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

It does matter, as you tried to rail against me for something I didn’t even say.  A simple “my bad” would have sufficed. 

I asked this if @Enhancealso (and I know will get a reply when he’s available)…what are the policies of DeSantis that make him so concerning to you?  What elements are you assigning to him that make him so bad in your eyes? 

With DeSantis, for me, it’s more about how he plays the politics game. TBH I don’t know much about his actual policy positions on things that matter, like the economy, foreign policy, domestic policy etc. The reason for that is he seems to be preoccupied catering to evangelicals and homophobes and fanning the flames on race issues like CRT. Plus I don’t believe he handled the pandemic very well. He seems to default on all issues to pitting right against left, conservative against liberal etc. Extremely poor habits for somebody who would seek the Presidency and would need to completely to change to become anything I would desire in that position. We’ve got enough partisan dips#!ts in politics already. I’d like to see somebody that gets us headed in a more productive direction, not more of the same extremes.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

With DeSantis, for me, it’s more about how he plays the politics game. TBH I don’t know much about his actual policy positions on things that matter, like the economy, foreign policy, domestic policy etc. The reason for that is he seems to be preoccupied catering to evangelicals and homophobes and fanning the flames on race issues like CRT. Plus I don’t believe he handled the pandemic very well. He seems to default on all issues to pitting right against left, conservative against liberal etc. Extremely poor habits for somebody who would seek the Presidency and would need to completely to change to become anything I would desire in that position. We’ve got enough partisan dips#!ts in politics already. I’d like to see somebody that gets us headed in a more productive direction, not more of the same extremes.

Appreciate the answer.   It’s my opinion that some of those thoughts might be misguided from you admittedly just not knowing much about him outside of some headlines but I could say off base there.  

As far as Covid specifically goes, I figured you aligned with him pretty good.   He opened up the state as soon as possible, made masks optional statewide for those who felt like they needed them (though one complaint I had was him overriding local decisions about mask mandates).  FL has the highest senior population per capita I believe and should have lead the country in deaths per capita based on the demographics most susceptible to COVID.  He was an advocate for early treatment and vaccines not just one or the other.  

Anyways, the more you learn about him I think the more

you would end up liking him.   The hit piece headlines almost always get debunked and I think they happen because he is a top choice for 2024 and Dems along with some media want to knock him out or damage him going into the primary season in 2023. 

The current bill that is misrepresented by media as “don’t say gay bill” doesn’t even have those words in it.  And I agree with him that my 6 yr girl doesn’t really need to be taught about sex at school (straight, gay, lesbian, trans or whatever else there is out there) or when she’s in 1st or 2nd grade either.  I think I can do a fine job having those discussions at home when they need to be discussed just as I have done with my other three and they have turned out great so far.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
On 3/28/2022 at 4:15 PM, Archy1221 said:

Would you be able to expand on this as I’m curious about which policies you are referring to.  Might give me a better idea of why you find him offensive or I guess a better way to say, not your type of candidate.   

Correct - I don't explicitly find him offensive. I find him to be a poor politician and a poor leader.

I think DeSantis is a tale of two people: one is a conservative-minded man that beholds to what we would probably all consider traditional, conservative values (i.e. smaller government, pro-life, stiff enforcement of immigration laws) and the other is a man who seemingly exists as the right's equivalent of a "woke liberal..." often appearing more interested in dunking on libs and berating people who have the audacity to contradict or question him.

Policy-wise, his obsession over banning CRT was and continues to be more of a boogeyman than an actual issue facing his state. He tried to enact a number of orders and policies to prevent mask mandates, limit vaccination requirements, and stop companies from asking about vaccination statuses, seemingly more interested in an individual's right to health than the risk posed to the larger community. And he has previously supported pro-life legislation that does not include abortion exclusions for rape and incest, something I disagree with.

These are just a few, but for a man who claims to be a conservative, he sure tries to iron grip his way into getting things he wants. Not very "small government" of him.

But, even if somebody agrees with his policies, one of the larger issues remains - he is categorically obsessed with fighting liberals and propping up issues that I don't think are near as important as others. That's not becoming of a leader, and frankly, it's exhausting. He often spends more fighting the 'woke liberal agenda' than he does talking about and fighting problems in his state... like their affordable housing and healthcare crises. He gets seemingly more aroused pandering to Fauci-haters than he does addressing crazy property insurance increases. He rarely exhibits qualities becoming of a true leader in his quest to rid liberalism from his state and the country, acting like some bastion of truth.

He's an opposition politician, not a leader.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
33 minutes ago, Enhance said:

He's an opposition politician, not a leader.

A succinct description of the modern Republican party. 2016-2020 with every other week being "infrastructure week" without any significant infrastructure legislation, and instead a torrent of personal attacks and grievances showed that.

Every top-polling 2024 candidate is the same. And that's not even including the one likely to be indicted for election obstruction soon.

• Plus1 4

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Did he take financial advice from Trump?

NY pension fund has roughly the same investment in Russia as Florida does and CA has between 2-4 times that amount invested in Russian assets.  Not sure if CA divested or not yet in those though.  I’m sure Ron will dig into that for us.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

I see several references to the overall value of the fund being in the hundreds of billions...$200b-ish in June 2021.

Wonder what percentage that $300 m is?

.15% if my math is correct which be probably be just ever so slightly above the normal allocation of a fund or pensions money in assets such as those.  

• Plus1 3