The Republican Utopia

33 minutes ago, commando said:

i wonder why disney isn't complaining about it?  might it be because they will save money by not having to maintain all the infrastucture and those costs will be passed to the local taxpayers?  to the tune of $2,000,000,000 a year.    

Does this mean it won’t negatively affect Disney as has been posted? 

• Plus1 2

26 minutes ago, commando said:

i wonder why disney isn't complaining about it?  might it be because they will save money by not having to maintain all the infrastucture and those costs will be passed to the local taxpayers?  to the tune of $2,000,000,000 a year.    

No idea, however I'm guessing you don't just switch your independent infrastructure reliance on to the surrounding counties like a light switch. You'd probably also have to fire a lot of people. And, ultimately, the charter gives Disney a ton of self-governance leverage which I can only assume they value.

But yeah, it's certainly possible it could be a long term savings passed onto the Florida taxpayer? No idea. It's either that or they're just unwilling/uninterested in playing into DeSantis' game by commenting.

If there’s a chance that this wouldn’t negatively impact Disney, then why are Republicans looking into it now instead of some point in the last 50 years? Some bizarre attempt at chivalry? Why hasn’t Disney positioned for this move in previous years? 

We all seem to agree the roots of this move are political in nature I.e. retaliatory. It is abundantly clear based on Republican rhetoric that they think this will hurt Disney.

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m not saying it will or won’t, but how do you know either way?

I would suggest doing things for which we don't have a good idea of the likely outcomes is bad policy;. Policy should be evidence-based when possible. Naturally a lot of it isn't.

I would also suggest using political power to punish political opponents is bad. But as you've said, both sides do it (i.e., Biden using his leverage to help unions). So I guess we should evaluate each offense on the merits and decide who we think does things that benefit us.

Getting into a showdown with Mickey Mouse because they said mean words you don't like doesn't inspire great confidence in DeSantis as a leader. The book on him was already that he was petty and vindictive. This doesn't help that image. Gotta say, one of the reasons I just can't ever see myself identifying as Republican is I just don't think I possess the requisite sense of perpetual victimhood. It's really not my bag.

Also the American right's steadily increasing embrace of authoritarianism they believe benefits them creeps me out.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Poor little snowflake.  

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/donald-trump-tantrum-interview-piers-morgan-2020-election-1340648/amp/

The consistently insufferable British TV host interviewed the former president for his new show Piers Morgan Uncensored. After the interview, Morgan on Wednesday tweeted out a very dramatic teaser in which appeared the two had a highly contentious interview — and that suggested Trump had left in anger.

A subsequent report Wednesday night, however, suggested Morgan’s dramatic clip may be overhyping the interview — and misleading viewers about how it actually went. NBC News says it has audio of the interview that suggests Trump and Pierce ended the interview amiably, with both men agreeing it was a good interview and parting on good terms. The tape came from Taylor Budowich, Trump’s communications director.

• Plus1 3