The Republican Utopia

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Huge win for Florida taxpayers! *sarcasm*

Some lawmakers say the decision, if it takes effect, could create a significant financial hit for the counties affected by the Reedy Creek district. Disney finances the services the district provides, which would normally be paid for by local municipalities. Disney effectively charges itself property taxes to finance these services. For law enforcement, Disney pays the Orange County Sheriff’s Office.

If the district is dismantled, those responsibilities could fall to local municipalities and taxpayers, experts said. So could the district’s debt-load. The district’s long-term bonded debt totaled more than $977 million as of September, according to Reedy Creek’s annual financial report. State Sen. Stewart tweeted that removing the district “could transfer $2 Billion debt from Disney to taxpayers” and could have “an enormous impact on Orange & Osceola residents.”

Yet the ultimate effect on taxpayers remains unclear, as the government in its haste has not produced a thorough review of the financial impact. Rep. Fine speculated to Insider that taxes could go down as a result of “eliminating a layer of government.” The state Senate’s analysis of the bill simply says it would have an “indeterminate fiscal impact” on local governments that “will assume the assets and indebtedness of an independent special district dissolved by the bill.”

So best case scenario, the impact is 'unclear.' Worst case scenario, $2 billion in debt now becomes a local taxpayer problem. What a poorly executed and poorly thought out situation. Absolutely embarrassing leadership from DeSantis and Florida Republican lawmakers. According to the article, state law also requires a special district to be dismantled by district voters. Not the legislature. So this very well could be a square peg, round hole attempt by lawmakers to try and push something through that they actually don't have the power to do.

• Plus1 2

Again, this could go on about any thread. Just wondering:

America's heavy lean towards autocracy and nationalism isn't just an American thing. It's a global thing. Big drama demagogues are assuming the populist mantle and wielding political power across western democracies, along with the full-on kleptocracies they've enjoyed in developing nations. Lots of disinformation and blaming "the other" in common.

I know American conservatives are applauding the un-democratic likes of VIktor Orban in Hungary, and likely take comfort in every immigrant hating Conservative party getting footholds across Europe and elsewhere.

But what's the endgame?  Nationalism pretends to empower your specific nation, but when nationalism takes hold across  the world, the animosity is baked into every economic and political decision. 

i.e. if Nationalists are supporting Nationalists, they're also creating their own enemy. 

• Plus1 2

21 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Again, this could go on about any thread. Just wondering:

America's heavy lean towards autocracy and nationalism isn't just an American thing. It's a global thing. Big drama demagogues are assuming the populist mantle and wielding political power across western democracies, along with the full-on kleptocracies they've enjoyed in developing nations. Lots of disinformation and blaming "the other" in common.

I know American conservatives are applauding the un-democratic likes of VIktor Orban in Hungary, and likely take comfort in every immigrant hating Conservative party getting footholds across Europe and elsewhere.

But what's the endgame?  Nationalism pretends to empower your specific nation, but when nationalism takes hold across  the world, the animosity is baked into every economic and political decision. 

i.e. if Nationalists are supporting Nationalists, they're also creating their own enemy. 

The end game is the Dark Ages 2.0 with the corresponding decline in civilization especially in the standard of living we've come to enjoy.  Take one aspect of this where Trumpists are proposing firing every "mid-level" civil servant in the federal government and replacing them with "their own people".  With that pressure what scientist would want to work for places like the NIH, the CDC, the EPA, BLM, and on and on?

And that doesn't even get into the kleptocracy that would form.  See Jared Kushner.

Nationalists also tend to wind up in wars in relatively short order. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Enhance said:

So best case scenario, the impact is 'unclear.' Worst case scenario, $2 billion in debt now becomes a local taxpayer problem. What a poorly executed and poorly thought out situation. Absolutely embarrassing leadership from DeSantis and Florida Republican lawmakers. According to the article, state law also requires a special district to be dismantled by district voters. Not the legislature. So this very well could be a square peg, round hole attempt by lawmakers to try and push something through that they actually don't have the power to do.

The article says Disney will most likely fight this.   Why would they fight something that strips $2 billion in debt and will supposedly be bad for the city which one would think means good for Disney.  

“Even though there might be really good reasons why we shouldn’t have Disney control three local governments

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Enhance said:

Admittedly I know and understand very little about this deal. It seems to be highly political and an attempt to punish Disney for being gay friendly and not kissing Desantis’ butt. IDK, maybe I have that wrong? But I’ve been to Disneyworld a few times. I spent a full week, mostly at Epcot while my wife was at a seminar. And I can easily say that whole area is really strange and I cannot think of another place in the US where a private company controls everything the way Disney does. Personally I don’t think it extremely wise or healthy to have a company wield that much power over things that local, county and state governments are usually responsible for. I know they have fared pretty well on taxation due to the tourist dollars coming into that area but even though this does not appear to being done for the right reasons, it also doesn’t seem like a terrible change. But yeah, there likely will be some pains and changes.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

The article says Disney will most likely fight this.   Why would they fight something that strips $2 billion in debt and will supposedly be bad for the city which one would think means good for Disney.  

Some reasons are outlined in the article. Some have also been posted here, some in direct response to you that I know you received a notification about. So you either haven't read them or have ignored them. Both are your problem to solve if you're actually interested in a conversation.

This banal cat and mouse game you like to play here with your fellow board members isn't going to work on me, particularly when you've asked some variant of 'why is this bad for Disney' and potential reasons as to why have literally been outlined.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2