The Republican Utopia

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

A prime example is what people believe about gas prices.  So many people want to do the lazy thing of only blaming the president in office instead of actually studying the subject to see what is really going on.

Hmmmm….kinda reminds me of when you bring up hating “dirty brown people” whenever the immigration debate comes up.   The lazy thing to do.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would have at least listened to Desantis and then looked at who he was running against.  But, as someone who thinks government should stay out of business as much as possible, the Disney thing ruined it for me.  He might have the conservative ideas.  But, the vindictive attitude towards anyone who dares disagree with him......nope.

You say government should stay out of business yet your fine with government setting up extremely special circumstances for a certain business but not all business.  That’s the definition of government meddling.  As a conservative in many aspects  (not Republican) you should be against the special district in Florida and be on board with them getting rid of it instead of government picking winners and losers.   

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Enhance said:

Republicans are still in a massive identity crisis if Ron DeSantis is being hailed as the return to reasonable conservativism.

The same guy who hounds against big government and yet tried to push a statewide ban on mask mandates? The same guy who went out of his way to retaliate against a Fortune 500 company for exercising their right to free speech? The same guy who chases relatively non-existent issues like CRT instruction in school while his constituents face real issues like outrage property rental spikes?

If he could stop acting like a partisan simpleton for two minutes then he might be worth considering but he's about as unappealing as Trump, minus the incoherent bouts of inane babbling Trump is prone to.

That was my happy face lest anyone gets annoyed.  Couldn’t disagree more with your first and last paragraph.    The second has a small bit of truth in that he does play the culture war game.  Buuuut so do Democrats in power so I don’t really care.  Whatever you think of Ron, the people of Florida seem to like the job he is doing based on polling.  

• Plus1 2

27 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Hmmmm….kinda reminds me of when you bring up hating “dirty brown people” whenever the immigration debate comes up.   The lazy thing to do.  

Maybe if a certain president didn’t preach that people coming to America at the southern border are rapists, murders and disease infected to win favor towards his stupid worthless wall….I wouldn’t say that. 

• Plus1 1
53 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

That was my happy face lest anyone gets annoyed.

Mods/admins can see who issues what kind of reaction to posts, so there's no need to take ownership unless you feel the need to tell your compatriots. Personally, I don't care about reactions, but you did just +1 my post with positive rep so I appreciate that.

Buuuut so do Democrats in power so I don’t really care.

Disappointing you feel that way, but unsurprising.

Whatever you think of Ron, the people of Florida seem to like the job he is doing based on polling.

And bears poop in the woods. Florida is a swing state that leans Republican so it's no surprise that a marginal percentage of Floridians think he's doing a good job. I let a politician's actions speak for themselves, regardless of their ideologies and affiliations, and then I form my opinion.

The guy is a goober and represents much of what's wrong with our country's politics, but, we've had this conversation before and my opinion is not going to change based on the currently available evidence.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ActualCornHusker said:

The main error those people made was thinking that the Capitol is the people's house. It's not. It's the criminals lair.

Good lord. No. Just no. This is such utter crap.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m pro life. But, I don’t feel comfortable about this. 

It's what they were put there to do. Surprising they decided to do it so quickly, though. 

• Plus1 1

And, I agree with David that whomever leaked needs fired. 

Agreed. What was their motive?  The other two branches of government leak all the time sending out trial balloons. But it should never occur with SC rulings. The person needs to be fired

I’m pro life. But, I don’t feel comfortable about this. 

If this passes I guess each state decides what abortion limits are. I am surprised they did this. Not sure how to take this either. I have always felt like this country’s  thoughts on abortion would need to be a cultural change, not a legal one. 

• Plus1 2
43 minutes ago, nic said:

If this passes I guess each state decides what abortion limits are. I am surprised they did this. Not sure how to take this either. I have always felt like this country’s  thoughts on abortion would need to be a cultural change, not a legal one. 

Me too. 

2 hours ago, nic said:

Well, only 19% of the culture thinks abortions should be illegal under all circumstances, so the cultural change has happened, and the legal one is presumably about to go against it.

• Plus1 4