The Republican Utopia

6 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Because the independent voters swing the elections, and a lot of them are waking up to the idea that maybe it wasn't so horrible under orange man compared to current leadership...

That just means they aren't paying attention. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

But enough to swing it all the way over?

I guess my question is, what states will vote R instead of D, assuming they voted D last time?

PA, GA, AZ, WI, MI, NV, & maybe VA. All of those were basically a coin flip and have been almost every election

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

PA, GA, AZ, WI, MI, NV, & maybe VA. All of those were basically a coin flip and have been almost every election

Sorry, I get that part.

I guess what I mean is why are those states flipping or why would they flip?

What has changed since 2 years ago?

With the exception of inflation and I guess gas prices...why would someone flip their vote?  Or is that enough? 

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Sorry, I get that part.

I guess what I mean is why are those states flipping or why would they flip?

What has changed since 2 years ago?

With the exception of inflation and I guess gas prices...why would someone flip their vote?  Or is that enough? 

Mainly what I said at first. Independents are realizing (not quickly enough, but they are) that maybe it wasn't so bad under Trump.

The Ukraine and Afghanistan fiascos will certainly have an impact (if people remember that in 2 more years)

When you look at states like VA, the governor race was decided mainly due to school issues and parents not wanting their children groomed by their teachers. That's becoming a bigger and bigger deal as people realize how bad that's gotten and put their foot down.

As the truth begins to come out about the jabs, people who were forced to get it or lost their jobs as a result (or were personally or had family or friends injured by the jabs) will surely be swayed.

Gas prices (whether president poopy-pants is directly to blame for that or not, that will be the perception by voters who aren't die-hard Dems)

The pushing of fluid gender theory on society at-large, especially within the military.

There's a long list. And again, I'd rather it not be Trump, but I'd take that any day over the clown show we have now.

Edit: Forgot to mention possibly the biggest one: the contents of the Hunter Biden laptop have now been verified as true (as they were pre-election but the "intelligence" agencies kept it under cover till the election was over)

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

1 minute ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Mainly what I said at first. Independents are realizing (not quickly enough, but they are) that maybe it wasn't so bad under Trump.

The Ukraine and Afghanistan fiascos will certainly have an impact (if people remember that in 2 more years)

When you look at states like VA, the governor race was decided mainly due to school issues and parents not wanting their children groomed by their teachers. That's becoming a bigger and bigger deal as people realize how bad that's gotten and put their foot down.

As the truth begins to come out about the jabs, people who were forced to get it or lost their jobs as a result (or were personally or had family or friends injured by the jabs) will surely be swayed.

Gas prices (whether president poopy-pants is directly to blame for that or not, that will be the perception by voters who aren't die-hard Dems)

The pushing of fluid gender theory on society at-large, especially within the military.

There's a long list. And again, I'd rather it not be Trump, but I'd take that any day over the clown show we have now.

Oooh. So you HAVE been fully indoctrinated. That’s the only explanation you needed to provide.

The real answer is, if it does swing as it’s likely to, the economy. Unfortunately many of the brainwashed hardcore will interpret any change as validation of their weird issues.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Oooh. So you HAVE been fully indoctrinated. That’s the only explanation you needed to provide.

The real answer is, if it does swing as it’s likely to, the economy. Unfortunately many of the brainwashed hardcore will interpret any change as validation of their weird issues.

You're welcome to ignore the myriad of issues that voters care about, but those are all issues that work against the current administration. You're right that economic concerns are the biggest swing factor (which also works against democrats), but all of the things I listed will impact the elections, and you'll see that real soon in the midterms.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

Although the last two elections have posted clear electoral majorities, the election could have swung the other way based on a handful of votes in a dozen zip code. 

The midterms have traditionally gone against the party of the last elected President, and some like to credit that to our collective desire for checks and balances. 

But honestly, our votes swing on prevailing emotions more than logic, which is why simple manipulative messaging is so important. Republicans have been much better at it than Democrats. 

A Trump vs. Biden rematch sounds like a living nightmare to me. 

• Plus1 3
12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Although the last two elections have posted clear electoral majorities, the election could have swung the other way based on a handful of votes in a dozen zip code. 

The midterms have traditionally gone against the party of the last elected President, and some like to credit that to our collective desire for checks and balances. 

But honestly, our votes swing on prevailing emotions more than logic, which is why simple manipulative messaging is so important. Republicans have been much better at it than Democrats. 

A Trump vs. Biden rematch sounds like a living nightmare to me. 

What message would both try to push?

Biden:  Got rid of Covid, created jobs, helped Ukraine,?

Trump:  Stop inflation, lower gas prices, ( I don't think the wall stuff is really that big of a thing anymore?) and i think the abortion leak hurts him a lot.

9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

What message would both try to push?

Biden:  Got rid of Covid, created jobs, helped Ukraine,?

Trump:  Stop inflation, lower gas prices, ( I don't think the wall stuff is really that big of a thing anymore?) and i think the abortion leak hurts him a lot.

I dint want to vote for either of them...forced to vote Not for Trump.

I would vote 3rd party and continue to curse Rs and Ds leadership for putting such crappy candidates on the ballot.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

I dint want to vote for either of them...forced to vote Not for Trump.

I would vote 3rd party and continue to curse Rs and Ds leadership for putting such crappy candidates on the ballot.

I get that...sadly a vote for 3rd party is pretty much a waste.

I just don't see why so many people think that Trump wins in 2024 with ease.  

I would assume the voter turnout would be much lower but I think that helps Joe, not Trump.  I just don't see where Trump gets new votes from.

59 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Because the independent voters swing the elections, and a lot of them are waking up to the idea that maybe it wasn't so horrible under orange man compared to current leadership...

Biden is struggling with low approval ratings among Independents right now, but IMO, that does not correlate to Trump support or a belief that maybe Trump's administration wasn't so bad. Anecdotally, it certainly has not for me. I can dunk on Biden while simultaneously believing Trump should be sent out to pasture and never be deserving of another vote. The insurrection fiasco and blatant stolen election lies are, in my opinion, exclusively solid enough reasons to never put that man back in office... let alone the number of policy and administrative failures we experienced under Trump.

I think it's crazy that Trump is still even a serious consideration for 2024 at this point.

Biden's administration has unequivocally had a number of failures and disappointments to this point too, and I don't particularly want to see him as president anymore, but Trump's administration was a fiasco and a disappointment in a plethora of its own ways. It would be unadulterated recency bias to suggest otherwise.

We all need to be better about who we're putting in office. I'm tolerating Biden right now, but Trump... Trump is intolerable.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I get that...sadly a vote for 3rd party is pretty much a waste.

It wouldn't be if more people had a conscience IMO.

If we all had a dollar for every time an American b!^@hed about R's and D's but voted for R's and D's anyways... we'd all be billionaires. I regularly and firmly push back against the binarism of our political landscape. It is fundamentally democratic to vote, and it is fundamentally undemocratic to be pigeon-holed into believing you only have two options. That's what our political powers want you to think and people keep buying that stock time and time again even though they have the power to change it.

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, Enhance said:

It wouldn't be if more people had a conscience IMO.

If we all had a dollar for every time an American b!^@hed about R's and D's but voted for R's and D's anyways... we'd all be billionaires. I regularly and firmly push back against the binarism of our political landscape. It is fundamentally democratic to vote, and it is fundamentally undemocratic to be pigeon-holed into believing you only have two options. That's what our political powers want you to think and people keep buying that stock time and time again even though they have the power to change it.

Agreed 10000000%. But unfortunately, the belief that voting 3rd party would be a waste of a vote because they're not electable, and the marketing both parties do that if the other gets in power it's going to be hell on earth (they're both right about this one) keep people voting for R & D.

• Plus1 2