The Republican Utopia

13 hours ago, admo said:

Thanks, no worries, you're fine @funhusker :thumbs

I could be completely wrong.  It's just my thinking and my opinion. 

I just wonder, with politics, if there is something going on below the surface, and we only get to see the stuff above it.  There is no verifiable proof who is doing what.  To me it's all political imagery.  Even I could dress up as a democrat for money and be on video looking like a fool. 

This is hateful imagery, that we have not seen in our country for decades and decades, but has now shown it's ugly head in the past few years?  I have a hard time believing that.  

If you line up what Republicans already admit, in their own words and actions and without any media bias, it's a hateful, ugly journey they have planned for America.

I would have had a hard time believing it six years ago. Now it's happening on an almost hourly basis.

And that's the bulwark conservatives. There is zero doubt that rightwing extremists have felt emboldened and empowered, watching what used to be considered extremist political action and language enter the mainstream of a major political party and the most watched nightly newscast in America. 

• Plus1 2
On 5/6/2022 at 8:28 PM, knapplc said:

I don't get America's fascination with old men and the wealthy.

Didn't we become a nation by throwing off the yoke of the rich aristocracy?

Have we forgotten that already?

A lot of low-income and aspirational people think a rich man is going to help make them rich.

They tend to forget that a lot of these guys got rich by keeping them poor and not sharing. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Meanwhile the Biden admin is arming ACTUAL Nazis in Ukraine because "Russia bad" (which it is, but Ukraine is also a pit of corruption, so...)

This is Putin's talking point. It ignores, for political reasons, that a free nation is comprised of a diverse group of people. 

Let's take America. There are Nazis here, too. If the Russians attacked us and it was "every man on deck," would you refuse to fight the invaders because American Nazis fought, too? Would you consider yourself a Nazi if you fought, and they fought, too?

Let's look at Husker Football. You're a fan, right? You realize you share that fandom with White Supremacists, murderers down in the State Pen, and all kinds of unsavory people, right? Does that make you a murderer? 

It doesn't take much time to see through this propaganda. It just takes a tiny bit of effort.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

A lot of low-income and aspirational people think a rich man is going to help make them rich.

They tend to forget that a lot of these guys got rich by keeping them poor and not sharing. 

Not necessarily "make them rich," but they see the success of those rich people as their potential success. "If they did it, I can too." 

But they often don't think of your second line, which is entirely too true.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Not necessarily "make them rich," but they see the success of those rich people as their potential success. "If they did it, I can too." 

But they often don't think of your second line, which is entirely too true.

A lot of Trump voters don't know the true story of Donald Trump's financial journey.

I will never, ever understand how the Nebraskans I grew up with came to support the celebrity obsessed silver spoon New York billionaire, who inherited and squandered his wealth, took credit for things he never did, blamed everyone else when things went wrong, and refused to pay hardworking contractors because he had enough lawyers to get away with it.

It's literally everything common-sense Nebraskans distrusted in a person. 

• Plus1 5
11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is Putin's talking point.

Exactly.  It's almost something an actual bot would post.  Or somebody who was gaslit by such a thing after lurking about far right wing websites.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is Putin's talking point. It ignores, for political reasons, that a free nation is comprised of a diverse group of people. 

Let's take America. There are Nazis here, too. If the Russians attacked us and it was "every man on deck," would you refuse to fight the invaders because American Nazis fought, too? Would you consider yourself a Nazi if you fought, and they fought, too?

Let's look at Husker Football. You're a fan, right? You realize you share that fandom with White Supremacists, murderers down in the State Pen, and all kinds of unsavory people, right? Does that make you a murderer? 

It doesn't take much time to see through this propaganda. It just takes a tiny bit of effort.

Surely you would agree that there's a difference between sharing a favorite sports team or country with neo-nazis, and explicitly arming them using American money, no?

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Surely you would agree that there's a difference between sharing a favorite sports team or country with neo-nazis, and explicitly arming them using American money, no?

you do know that US aid to ukraine is banned from going to the far right militias in ukraine...right?

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/380483-congress-bans-arms-to-controversial-ukrainian-militia-linked-to-neo-nazis/

A little-noticed provision in the 2,232-page government spending bill passed last week bans U.S. arms from going to a controversial ultranationalist militia in Ukraine that has openly accepted neo-Nazis into its ranks.

House-passed spending bills for the past three years have included a ban on U.S. aid to Ukraine from going to the Azov Battalion, but the provision was stripped out before final passage each year.

{mosads}This year, though, the $1.3 trillion omnibus spending bill signed into law last week stipulates that “none of the funds made available by this act may be used to provide arms, training or other assistance to the Azov Battalion.”

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

But defended to the death. Weird.

i don't think he is defending his position.  it seems the white flag has been presented judging from the lack of response here while he is actively engaged in other threads.

• Plus1 1