The Republican Utopia

17 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, it served its purpose. Opened in 2016 right when trump took office. 

This, to me, is one of the key indicators that he is not running again. 

I suppose he could acquire another nearby property if he does, but the fact that this is now gone and that his ego couldn't accept a second loss, I'd be stunned if he threw his hat into the ring.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I suppose he could acquire another nearby property if he does, but the fact that this is now gone and that his ego couldn't accept a second loss, I'd be stunned if he threw his hat into the ring.

If he doesn't run, he will basically be controlling the candidate.  Let's say it's Desantis.  Trump is going to be campaigning just like him, getting his own followers all lathered up.  So, Desantis is going to have to play to that to get those votes.  Might even be a bigger issue in the primaries.  Trump will pick out his favorite candidate that licks his boots and does everything to get them elected.  So.....would it go like Nebraska where the vast majority of Republicans don't vote for his candidate?

I have my doubts on that unless he ends up a perv like Herbster.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

If he doesn't run, he will basically be controlling the candidate.  Let's say it's Desantis.  Trump is going to be campaigning just like him, getting his own followers all lathered up.  So, Desantis is going to have to play to that to get those votes.  Might even be a bigger issue in the primaries.  Trump will pick out his favorite candidate that licks his boots and does everything to get them elected.  So.....would it go like Nebraska where the vast majority of Republicans don't vote for his candidate?

I think he is seeing how much power he wields within the Republican party without having to dance around in the dog-and-pony show that envelopes the presidency. He never liked that, other than being in the spotlight. He is not a governor, and never wanted to govern. He wants to dictate. Since that's not possible, he'll do what he's been doing - peddling influence for cash while maintaining his adoring fans. 

I wonder how malleable DeSantis will be. Seems like he's polling just fine on his own.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

peddling influence for cash while maintaining his adoring fans. 

Bingo.

It's a money making deal for him.

One report I saw recently at a rally showed the big area of vendors selling everything you can imagine "Trump".  I'm sure he's making a nice income off of that.

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

DeSantis isn't a huge Trump guy

49 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Yep...I don't see him running again either.

Here's an interesting thread on the baby formula shortage.  It's claiming that much of the shortage is caused by banning imports.  There's a lot of excuses for this, but in reality, it's to protect domestic producers with tariffs and regulations.

So, my question is, if Republicans are going to rant about this and claim Biden needs to deregulate and get rid of tariffs so there can be imports, how do they reconcile that with the Trump era idiotic tariffs and regulations to prevent imports of other products to protect domestic manufacturing?

• Thanks 1