The Republican Utopia

22 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Shall I start making those "Liz for Prez 2024" signs now?? 

If Romney/ Cheney are as disgusted with their party as the say they are, the both should run and if anyone but them wins the nomination, they should run 3rd party to split the vote and safe the US from another Trump candidate. Who knows, they could even be the launch pad for a common sense middle 3rd party to actually matter. 

That would be one of the greatest acts of political heroism the nation has seen. 

• Plus1 1
53 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

If Romney/ Cheney are as disgusted with their party as the say they are, the both should run and if anyone but them wins the nomination, they should run 3rd party to split the vote and safe the US from another Trump candidate. Who knows, they could even be the launch pad for a common sense middle 3rd party to actually matter. 

That would be one of the greatest acts of political heroism the nation has seen. 

They are disgusted, but Republicans believe in preserving Repubican power (gotta protect the wealthy from pesky taxes!) over what is best for America.

Maybe a 3rd party is viable in Utah, but any candidate outside of that will be labeled a RINO and their political career is over.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

They are disgusted, but Republicans believe in preserving Repubican power (gotta protect the wealthy from pesky taxes!) over what is best for America.

Maybe a 3rd party is viable in Utah, but any candidate outside of that will be labeled a RINO and their political career is over.

So you don't think there are enough Republicans/ Former Republicans disgusted with the Trumpening of the Republican party to vote for an independent Romney Cheney ticket?  Romney and Cheney most likely already recognize their career is over. They will be primaried hard in upcoming reelections. 

And I agree, it would be a self sacrifice on their part, which is why I labeled it as an act of political heroism. 

2 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I'd vote for that ticket.  Regardless, more GOP leaders need to speak up and get the party back to the party of Reagan/Eisenhower/TR/Lincoln  and away from the party of Trump and radical nationalism and craziness.  

In the same way, I'd like to see the Dem party become the party of Kennedy (John and Robert.  Not much of a fan of Ted)/HHH/Truman/FDR again  - liberal in many respects but also grounded and not looney tune.  

• Plus1 1

I don't know if Mitt wants to run though, does he?

I could see him being a popular choice though and he is not half the robot he used to be and he has way more personality than Pence (that is clearly not saying much though)

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I'd vote for that ticket.  Regardless, more GOP leaders need to speak up and get the party back to the party of Reagan/Eisenhower/TR/Lincoln  and away from the party of Trump and radical nationalism and craziness.  

In the same way, I'd like to see the Dem party become the party of Kennedy (John and Robert.  Not much of a fan of Ted)/HHH/Truman/FDR again  - liberal in many respects but also grounded and not looney tune.  

Is Joe Kennedy III done with politics now?

Just now, teachercd said:

he has way more personality than Pence (that is clearly not saying much though)

How much personality does a 2 x 4 board have :dunno

Regarding Romney: 

Romney said he tried 2x and that is enough. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mitt-romney-president-2024-not_n_6269f8c6e4b050c90f3bd844

Romney expects Trump to be the nominee if he runs.   I know he won't support him.  

https://thehill.com/news/3478176-romney-trump-very-likely-to-be-2024-republican-nominee-if-he-runs-again/

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

How much personality does a 2 x 4 board have :dunno

Regarding Romney: 

Romney said he tried 2x and that is enough. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mitt-romney-president-2024-not_n_6269f8c6e4b050c90f3bd844

Romney expects Trump to be the nominee if he runs.   I know he won't support him.  

https://thehill.com/news/3478176-romney-trump-very-likely-to-be-2024-republican-nominee-if-he-runs-again/

Pence is a 2x4!  

He looks like the person they call in for a photo shoot when the shoot calls for "CEO Type"

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Is Joe Kennedy III done with politics now?

From Wikipedia.    

In 2020, rather than run for re-election to his House seat, Kennedy unsuccessfully challenged incumbent Senator Ed Markey for the Democratic nomination in the Massachusetts U.S. Senate election.[2] He was succeeded by fellow Democrat Jake Auchincloss.[3] Since leaving office, he has founded Project Groundwork, which focuses on boosting local community organizing efforts throughout the United States.[4] He has also joined several advisory boards and began appearing as a political commentator for CNN.[5] On June 4, 2021, President Biden appointed him to be a member of the President's Commission on White House Fellowships.[6]

I'm thinking a lot of people would like him to run for president.  He is talented and well spoken.  But losing that senate race may have set his time table back a ways. 

https://future.fandom.com/wiki/2024_Presidential_Election_(A_New_Era)

The 2024 Election was held on November 5th, 2024, in all 50 states and Washington D.C. Democratic candidate Joe Kennedy III defeated Republican candidate Nikki Haley and Libertarian Candidate Justin Amish.

Editorial - Robert Kennedy for 2024. No he won't rise from the dead. But he recommends  someone like Robert Kennedy - who has his principles. The author recommends 2:  

https://thehill.com/opinion/opinion/592381-budowsky-robert-kennedy-for-president-in-2024/

Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom of California, a devout admirer of Robert Kennedy, applies RFK ideals on big projects for the most populated state in the nation.  When Republicans tried to recall him, Newsom, who I believe may have a brilliant long-term future in American politics, fought back with a ferocious will, won a landslide, and doubled down on his RFK-like programs in California, such as initiatives combatting climate change.

And Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), who I urged to run for president in 2020, has spent a career championing progressive RFK-like values. He won election after election in Ohio with the same broad winning coalition as Robert Kennedy — a formula Biden and all Democrats can win with today.

• Thanks 1

So you don't think there are enough Republicans/ Former Republicans disgusted with the Trumpening of the Republican party to vote for an independent Romney Cheney ticket?  Romney and Cheney most likely already recognize their career is over. They will be primaried hard in upcoming reelections. 

And I agree, it would be a self sacrifice on their part, which is why I labeled it as an act of political heroism. 

After the GOP had dug a hole with Trump and Cruz as its top two candidates in 2016 there was a late push for John Kasich to step in and consolidate the Reasonable Republicans. There were very few takers. That hasn't changed, even as the Trump wing lurches even farther right.