The Republican Utopia

31 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

After the GOP had dug a hole with Trump and Cruz as its top two candidates in 2016 there was a late push for John Kasich to step in and consolidate the Reasonable Republicans. There were very few takers. That hasn't changed, even as the Trump wing lurches even farther right. 

Unfortunately, the consolidation came much to late.  Too many of those 16 candidates didn't think Trump would pull it off until he did.  He just watched them beat each other up and he would then gang tackle on them wt some tag line -"Tired Jeb",  "Little Marco", Crazy Cruz or something similar.  There was nothing obviously wrong wt Kasich that he could attack from a policy/personality perspective but there were just too many non-trumpers trying to get the nomination that one guy could rise to the top.  If it were a 2 man primary, I think Kasich beats him - he had led Ohio successfully, appeared reasonable to most people and was not the type to engage in the mud slinging that Trump was good at.   A big time missed opportunity for the short sighted bunch called the GOP.  You noticed how the Dem party cleared the table for Biden to win the nomination I believe just before super Tuesday or else the next super primary.  The GOP should have done that wt Gov K.  But we had 3 know it all young senators who thought they knew better plus several others who were in no position to win - only to take votes away from reasonable candidates. 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Unfortunately, the consolidation came much to late.  Too many of those 16 candidates didn't think Trump would pull it off until he did.  He just watched them beat each other up and he would then gang tackle on them wt some tag line -"Tired Jeb",  "Little Marco", Crazy Cruz or something similar.  There was nothing obviously wrong wt Kasich that he could attack from a policy/personality perspective but there were just too many non-trumpers trying to get the nomination that one guy could rise to the top.  If it were a 2 man primary, I think Kasich beats him - he had led Ohio successfully, appeared reasonable to most people and was not the type to engage in the mud slinging that Trump was good at.   A big time missed opportunity for the short sighted bunch called the GOP.  You noticed how the Dem party cleared the table for Biden to win the nomination I believe just before super Tuesday or else the next super primary.  The GOP should have done that wt Gov K.  But we had 3 know it all young senators who thought they new better plus several others who were in no position to win - only to take votes away from reasonable candidates. 

The 2016 election was maddening.  All Trump did was stand on stage and act like a third grader calling people names and throwing tantrums.  And....so many people ate it up.

It truly was a point that showed how low the US was/is.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The 2016 election was maddening.  All Trump did was stand on stage and act like a third grader calling people names and throwing tantrums.  And....so many people ate it up.

It truly was a point that showed how low the US was/is.

Yep, He couldn't talk about anything of substance because he is an empty suit. So, name calling and pitting one person against another as best he could was his MO.  So the question is : Are the Dems who voted for him  in those early cross over primaries to blame for this. :dunno Many voted for Trump thinking he'd be the easiest for Hillary to beat.   Short answer, NO, but it didn't help.  The early primaries gave him the momentum to take on the more credible candidates while they  cannabolized each other.  The GOP still could have blocked him from getting the nomination if the leaders had the guts to do so.  After he got the nomination, the GOP should have pulled that nomination from him after the Access Hollywood tapes came out.  I'll always blame Pence for that - he could have and should have spoken up at that point. If he had withdrawn as VP, no one, other than Trump, would have blamed him. But the GOP values power over what is best for the nation.  Leadership persuaded Pence to stay and the unexpected happened in Nov.  As much as I did not want Hillary to be president ( I didn't vote for Trump) she would have been better that the Dufus we ended up with.  

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yep, He couldn't talk about anything of substance because he is an empty suit. So, name calling and pitting one person against another as best he could was his MO.  So the question is : Are the Dems who voted for him  in those early cross over primaries to blame for this. :dunno Many voted for Trump thinking he'd be the easiest for Hillary to beat.   Short answer, NO, but it didn't help.  The early primaries gave him the momentum to take on the more credible candidates while they  cannabolized each other.  The GOP still could have blocked him from getting the nomination if the leaders had the guts to do so.  After he got the nomination, the GOP should have pulled that nomination from him after the Access Hollywood tapes came out.  I'll always blame Pence for that - he could have and should have spoken up at that point. If he had withdrawn as VP, no one, other than Trump, would have blamed him. But the GOP values power over what is best for the nation.  Leadership persuaded Pence to stay and the unexpected happened in Nov.  As much as I did not want Hillary to be president ( I didn't vote for Trump) she would have been better that the Dufus we ended up with.  

Pence proved he is nothing but a 2 bit politician in a worthless polyester leisure suit at that point.  He has always made it well known that he's so conservative that he can't even meet with a woman alone for a business meeting (puke) ......but he runs with and supports for 4+ years a man who molests women, has cheated on every woman he's ever been married to and doesn't respect anyone for anything unless they are licking his shoes.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Pence proved he is nothing but a 2 bit politician in a worthless polyester leisure suit at that point.  He has always made it well known that he's so conservative that he can't even meet with a woman alone for a business meeting (puke) ......but he runs with and supports for 4+ years a man who molests women, has cheated on every woman he's ever been married to and doesn't respect anyone for anything unless they are licking his shoes.

All good points and reflective of the GOP - all words and expediency over substance 

Has anyone ever explained how America has been harmed by any of these migrant caravans? There have been hundreds in the last couple of decades, but I don't remember any reports on the havoc they wreak when they arrive.

As much as the Tuckers of the right-wing media squawk and scream about them, you'd think they were the end of life as we know it. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Has anyone ever explained how America has been harmed by any of these migrant caravans? There have been hundreds in the last couple of decades, but I don't remember any reports on the havoc they wreak when they arrive.

As much as the Tuckers of the right-wing media squawk and scream about them, you'd think they were the end of life as we know it. 

Um YES! Tucker and many others are trying to raise the alarm on how we're being harmed by all of them replacing all of us!

/s

18 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Unfortunately, the consolidation came much to late.  Too many of those 16 candidates didn't think Trump would pull it off until he did.  He just watched them beat each other up and he would then gang tackle on them wt some tag line -"Tired Jeb",  "Little Marco", Crazy Cruz or something similar.  There was nothing obviously wrong wt Kasich that he could attack from a policy/personality perspective but there were just too many non-trumpers trying to get the nomination that one guy could rise to the top.  If it were a 2 man primary, I think Kasich beats him - he had led Ohio successfully, appeared reasonable to most people and was not the type to engage in the mud slinging that Trump was good at.   A big time missed opportunity for the short sighted bunch called the GOP.  You noticed how the Dem party cleared the table for Biden to win the nomination I believe just before super Tuesday or else the next super primary.  The GOP should have done that wt Gov K.  But we had 3 know it all young senators who thought they knew better plus several others who were in no position to win - only to take votes away from reasonable candidates. 

The difference is that the Democrats had four or five candidates splitting the centrist vote, while Bernie Sanders led the pack by commanding nearly 100% of the left/activist/youth wing (Liz Warren could play both fields).  So the DNC did the really simple math and realized any one centrist could probably fend off Sanders, and in some backroom maneuvering pulled it off just in time for Super Tuesday. 

The GOP never had that math. Trump and Cruz pulled way ahead early leaving Bush and Rubio in the single digits. Throw in Ben Carson, and Republicans had made a clear choice of the most inflammatory, disliked, and incompetent candidates available. In other words, the reasonable Republican candidates may have split the reasonable vote, but even added together they didn't come close to what Trump or even Cruz commanded. 

We're not even talking about the Kasich wing in these primaries. We're talking about candidates fighting to out-Trump Trump. 

• Plus1 1

23 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

So you don't think there are enough Republicans/ Former Republicans disgusted with the Trumpening of the Republican party to vote for an independent Romney Cheney ticket?  Romney and Cheney most likely already recognize their career is over. They will be primaried hard in upcoming reelections. 

And I agree, it would be a self sacrifice on their part, which is why I labeled it as an act of political heroism. 

Mitt Romney in Utah is probably fine, it's a conservative state but not quite stuck in the MAGA-verse as say Western Nebraska or something. Liz Cheney's political career is over.

And the number of Republicans disgusted over Trump and are willing to switch parties is far outweighed by the number of blue-collar white votes who now show up in droves. For every Republican horrified about what's happening to the party, 3 people are behind them who love what they see. The destruction of our institutions - elites as they see them - is great.

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Mitt Romney in Utah is probably fine, it's a conservative state but not quite stuck in the MAGA-verse as say Western Nebraska or something. Liz Cheney's political career is over.

And the number of Republicans disgusted over Trump and are willing to switch parties is far outweighed by the number of blue-collar white votes who now show up in droves. For every Republican horrified about what's happening to the party, 3 people are behind them who love what they see. The destruction of our institutions - elites as they see them - is great.

This is what scares me.  My brother is one of these people, and when you listen to him talk about what he views as problems in America it makes your stomach turn.

2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This is what scares me.  My brother is one of these people, and when you listen to him talk about what he views as problems in America it makes your stomach turn.

It's like watching Tucker, isn't it?

Right-wing media is killing this country. 

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

My Dad is (in his 90s) and 2 sister-in-law are into Qanon stuff that supports trump.  What a snake pit of vipers the GOP open up to all of America in 2016

• Plus1 1