The Republican Utopia

26 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I mean, bad teachers are the reason!

Defund Teachers!

No one is saying that.  Quite the opposite of you look at the data.   It seems too much of the money is being spent on non teachers and maybe that’s one of the reason results don’t match up with spend. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

No one is saying that.  Quite the opposite of you look at the data.   It seems too much of the money is being spent on non teachers and maybe that’s one of the reason results don’t match up with spend. 

Ha!  I know, I was joking.

I can remember years ago...OPS bought brand new laser disc players for all the classrooms...unreal

image.png.1072eea47a6a4a54022c7fe7ce4a4098.png 

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I'm not surprised at all at this.

Think about the technology advancements our schools have had to go through over this period of time. All of that would have been non-teacher spending.  I was in our high school's first computer class in 1984. Before that, no student had even touched a computer.  Now, every student has a computer they take home.  All facilities have internet access, distance learning...etc.  

The same thing at the college level.  When I took my oldest to tour UNL in 2013, I thought "eh...I can do this tour."  Nope....the campus and dorms are completely different, in large part to the technology that is built into everything.  All that takes a lot of money to keep our kids up to date on what they are learning.

Our community just put through a very vote on funding to remodel the facilities.  Much of that is the science departments because they were out of date.  Money spent on non-teacher spending.  We will have the same number of teachers. They will now just have up to date technology to keep teaching our kids the latest and greatest.

And, no, this isn't saying we shouldn't spend more on teachers.  We need to attract and keep good teachers.

I will also say that the constant idiotic political attacks on our public school systems from the right doesn't help.

• Plus1 2

I will also say that it's very difficult to compare our educational system to some other countries like China.  Our goal is completely different.  Our goal is to educate everyone.  Their goal is to pick put the top students and educate them.

Imagine if our school systems could pick out the top 50% of the kids and only have them in school.  Think about the crap that teachers have to deal with now that they wouldn't have to deal with them.  Also, that puts tremendous pressure on the students that ARE being educated to actually learn and work to stay in school.

• Plus1 2
53 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Think about the technology advancements our schools have had to go through over this period of time. All of that would have been non-teacher spending.  I was in our high school's first computer class in 1984. Before that, no student had even touched a computer.  Now, every student has a computer they take home.  All facilities have internet access, distance learning...etc.  

The same thing at the college level.  When I took my oldest to tour UNL in 2013, I thought "eh...I can do this tour."  Nope....the campus and dorms are completely different, in large part to the technology that is built into everything.  All that takes a lot of money to keep our kids up to date on what they are learning.

I’m not disputing anything you said, but where is the improvement in education output based on all that technology spend?   Inputs are not equaling outputs.  Just adding more input isn’t really fixing the issue of the US lagging behind in education.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

A chart ending in 2006. A few sources dated 2014 and 2015. 

Not sure how relevant that stuff is in 2022.

Adding in 2019/2020 and 2020/2021 school years most likely won’t be helping the outcomes are great crowd.  But go ahead and give us the “relevant stuff”. 

• Fire 1
17 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m not disputing anything you said, but where is the improvement in education output based on all that technology spend?   Inputs are not equaling outputs.  Just adding more input isn’t really fixing the issue of the US lagging behind in education.  

Not sure you can ascertain that from this data.  Let's say no money has been spent on technology over the last 30 years.  Wouldn't our results be much worse?  Looks to me like they are being maintained at a certain level.  

Kid's now days aren't being taught the exact same things they were 30 years ago because of advancement in technology and knowledge.  So, if they were being taught the exact same thing as 30 years ago with technology from that time, the text scores would be much worse.

An example of difference in what is being taught. When I was helping my kids in middle school, they were learning the math (algebra)  I learned in HS.  In HS, they were learning the math I learned in college (Calculus...etc.).

There are, unsurprisingly, different views on "best education systems."

Education Rankings by Country 2022

While education levels vary from country to country, there is a clear correlation between the quality of a country's educational system and its general economic status and overall well-being. In general, developing nations tend to offer their citizens a higher quality of education than the least developed nations do, and fully developed nations offer the best quality of education of all. Education is clearly a vital contributor to any country's overall health.

According to the Global Partnership for Education, education is considered to be a human right and plays a crucial role in human, social, and economic development. Education promotes gender equality, fosters peace, and increases a person's chances of having more and better life and career opportunities.

The annual Best Countries Report, conducted by US News and World Report, BAV Group, and the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, reserves an entire section for education. The report surveys thousands of people across 78 countries, then ranks those countries based upon the survey's responses. The education portion of the survey compiles scores from three equally-weighted attributes: a well-developed public education system, would consider attending university there, and provides top-quality education. As of 2021, the top ten countries based on education rankings are:

Countries with the Best Educational Systems - 2021 Best Countries Report*

1. The United States
  2. The United Kingdom
  3. Germany
  4. Canada
  5. France
  6. Switzerland
  7. Japan
  8. Australia
  9. Sweden
  10. The Netherlands

*For the full list of countries' educational systems ranked from best to worst, scroll down.

Ironically, despite the United States having the best-surveyed education system on the globe, U.S students consistently score lower in math and science than students from many other countries. According to a Business Insider report in 2018, the U.S. ranked 38th in math scores and 24th in science. Discussions about why the United States' education rankings have fallen by international standards over the past three decades frequently point out that government spending on education has failed to keep up with inflation.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I will also say that it's very difficult to compare our educational system to some other countries like China.  Our goal is completely different.  Our goal is to educate everyone.  Their goal is to pick put the top students and educate them

I would agree with this and I’m glad you brought it up.   I hope people carry this same thought process to other areas where the US is compared to other countries such as Covid response and infant mortality rates, healthcare outcomes.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Kid's now days aren't being taught the exact same things they were 30 years ago because of advancement in technology and knowledge.  So, if they were being taught the exact same thing as 30 years ago with technology from that time, the text scores would be much worse.

An example of difference in what is being taught. When I was helping my kids in middle school, they were learning the math (algebra)  I learned in HS.  In HS, they were learning the math I learned in college (Calculus...etc.).

I definitely understand this as I have 4 kids in ranges from elementary through recent college grad.  I get what is being taught and what has changed even from my first to last child. I also think your China analogy can carry over to a US public school number.  I’m quite certain the US test score number would be higher if the inner city public schools were taken out of the equation, but I think that represents an opportunity for those in charge of fixing education issues on where to spend their time and energy.   The suburban school districts where I live are on apt or in some terms better than the private schools.  The inner city schools are quite awful and have been for decades.  IMO that’s where the focus should be, and it’s not just about funding because those schools are funded as well or better than the suburban districts.  

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I definitely understand this as I have 4 kids in ranges from elementary through recent college grad.  I get what is being taught and what has changed even from my first to last child. I also think your China analogy can carry over to a US public school number.  I’m quite certain the US test score number would be higher if the inner city public schools were taken out of the equation, but I think that represents an opportunity for those in charge of fixing education issues on where to spend their time and energy.   The suburban school districts where I live are on apt or in some terms better than the private schools.  The inner city schools are quite awful and have been for decades.  IMO that’s where the focus should be, and it’s not just about funding because those schools are funded as well or better than the suburban districts.  

I agree.  The problem in those schools, however, many times is social issues in the community that the school is trying to overcome.  Spending money on social issues in those communities can help the school systems.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.  The problem in those schools, however, many times is social issues in the community that the school is trying to overcome.  Spending money on social issues in those communities can help the school systems.

I would add Spending money “in the right places”.  

I would put the majority of the blame on the non-existent parents in many of the situations.  I can’t speak for NE, but when I speak to teacher friends here about kids in their classes, they say lots of it (not all) comes down to the effort the parents put into their kids.  Unfortunately for the kids, you can’t just spend money and make parents be better parents.   

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I would add Spending money “in the right places”.  

I would put the majority of the blame on the non-existent parents in many of the situations.  I can’t speak for NE, but when I speak to teacher friends here about kids in their classes, they say lots of it (not all) comes down to the effort the parents put into their kids.  Unfortunately for the kids, you can’t just spend money and make parents be better parents.   

Can't argue with that.

So, people need to focus on areas society can improve.  Like, healthcare, drug rehab, law enforcement, jobs in those areas, safety nets....etc.

There are just some crappy parents.  But, many times, those kids are caught in a cess pool at home affected by things like drug use and unemployment.  Then there are times where a parent or parents really are trying hard, but maybe a single parent has to work two jobs to make ends meet so the kid is home raising themselves.  Then they are influenced by bad people around them that don't have their best interest at heart.  Sometimes simply helping with child care can go a long ways.

And....going back to the schools.  The schools need to have the ability to take out of the system kids that are only there to cause problems for the kids that actually want to learn.  THEN, you have the problem with what to do with the problem kids once they are taken out.  There needs to be a system that can still work with those kids to hopefully rehabilitate them to rejoin the normal school system.  FYI.....this isn't a problem only in inner cities.  

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There are just some crappy parents.  But, many times, those kids are caught in a cess pool at home affected by things like drug use and unemployment.  Then there are times where a parent or parents really are trying hard, but maybe a single parent has to work two jobs to make ends meet so the kid is home raising themselves.  Then they are influenced by bad people around them that don't have their best interest at heart.  Sometimes simply helping with child care can go a long ways.

Add in to the first part of just being a lazy a$$ and relying on social welfare to the equation for a portion of those people. 

I really feel heartache for the kids caught in both situations and feel for the parents in the second situation.  More safe community centers, mentor programs, child care when needed are all good places to put resources IMO.  

BTW…the lazy a$$ equation isn’t just for the inner city.  I saw a lot of that in the “white trash” population growing up in western Kansas where people were very content living off the public dime and moving from odd job to odd job while not giving two tips about their kids were out doing (or not doing in school).  A portion of those kids turned out how you would expect them too.  Others who had good outside influences on them decided their parents lives weren’t what they wanted for their future and did well for themselves.   

• Plus1 2