The Republican Utopia

15 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Add in to the first part of just being a lazy a$$ and relying on social welfare to the equation for a portion of those people. 

I really feel heartache for the kids caught in both situations and feel for the parents in the second situation.  More safe community centers, mentor programs, child care when needed are all good places to put resources IMO.  

BTW…the lazy a$$ equation isn’t just for the inner city.  I saw a lot of that in the “white trash” population growing up in western Kansas where people were very content living off the public dime and moving from odd job to odd job while not giving two tips about their kids were out doing (or not doing in school).  A portion of those kids turned out how you would expect them too.  Others who had good outside influences on them decided their parents lives weren’t what they wanted for their future and did well for themselves.   

You can add that.  The problem is, society is stuck with dealing with it.  Somehow, society has to help those kids break through that mess they have at home so they don't grow up to have the same type of home.

My daughters had a major wakeup call to all of this.  They were lifeguards at the local pool in HS.  As usual, every summer there's a group of kids that they see every day (affectionately called pool rats).  Wide range of kids.  But, some come from very poor families where the pool ends up being their summer child care.  One day, my daughter was talking to one of these kids and told him it's time for him to go home for supper.  The kid, without skipping a beat, says "Naaa....it's my brother's turn to eat tonight."  My daughters were absolutely heart broken.  So, they started stocking the pool fridge with stuff for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  They got to know the certain kids that needed them.

One of my more proud moments as a parent.  But, imagine now in a community where a kid like that, first....doesn't have a place like the pool to go hang out. Second, doesn't have people who care.  And third, instead they have the local gang waiting on the corner with the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  

That's where society needs to play a major part.

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Why?

Because I would rather my kids attend a church service than take them to a drag bar, or any strip coin for that matter.  Seems pretty straight forward people with my values :dunno and such a strange question to be asked.   

17 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Why?

Because I would rather my kids attend a church service than take them to a drag bar, or any strip coin for that matter.  Seems pretty straight forward people with my values :dunno and such a strange question to be asked.   

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

But it's not a binary choice. There are wholesome things in each place and dangers in each place. One may even be more likely to find dangers to young children in church than a drag bar.

Drag bars are not strip clubs. There could be some overlap, but no different than all bars are not strip clubs.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

FUlMU6kXEAAwLTA?format=jpg&name=medium

The things these politicians come up with are just hysterically inept and awful. Would love to see the statistics on how many parents are taking their children to drag bars, but I think we can all safely assume there aren’t many, and it’s not enough to even try to make it a talking point in the first place.

I also love the unstated but intentional evangelical inference that being a good parent and person requires church. :facepalm: 

Edit: BTW, I went to a drag show in Puerto Vallarta a few years ago. Incredibly entertaining and fun. Highly recommended.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You didn't make that clear when you agreed with Ms. Boebert, who said to go to one, not the other - a binary choice.

I don’t believe she said you had to pick one so taking them to neither is a third choice.   Non-binary choice.  Take kids to baseball game  not drag bar, take kids to restaurant not drag bar, take kids bowling not drag bar, take kids golfing not drag bar, take kids to broncos game not errrrrr never mind, I will stop there.   Hope that clears up your confusion. 

• Plus1 1

Strange argument.  

I’ve taken my kids to both church and a bar. However, I’d argue that there are more wholesome things, on average, at church than a bar. 

But, that’s not really a reasonable argument. I know plenty of kids that ended up screwed up when their parents always took them to church and never a bar.  My neighbor who is a minister is a prime example. His kids ended up a total mess. 

I know kids whose parents owned bars and they worked there. Kids turned out awesome. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Strange argument.  

I’ve taken my kids to both church and a bar. However, I’d argue that there are more wholesome things, on average, at church than a bar. 

But, that’s not really a reasonable argument. I know plenty of kids that ended up screwed up when their parents always took them to church and never a bar.  My neighbor who is a minister is a prime example. His kids ended up a total mess. 

It does happen.  

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don’t understand why they’re being associated in the first place. Is there some context I don’t know about?

Likely, a statistically insignificant number of people are taking their children to drag bars (which, in most places I’ve seen, almost always require entrants to be of legal age in whatever municipality they’re in, or at least 16 years of age).

Just seems like another baseless opportunity to trigger a voting base over something that’s not really a thing right?

• Plus1 2