The Republican Utopia

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

It shouldn't be.  There is a big difference between a marriage within a religion and a legal marriage as it pertains to the government.  For some reason, many Christians don't understand that part.

And, for someone to get this emotional about it, really makes me wonder about her mental wellness.

It's a power trip.  Preventing others who are "less than" her having something that she can get readily.

What a gutless bully.  But since his tactics are just another form of voter intimidation I guess he got what he wanted.

these cases shouldn’t have even existed in the first place. Politico reported a week after the initial arrests that several of those taken away in handcuffs had been “notified by official government entities they were eligible to vote."

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

On 12/9/2022 at 1:16 PM, RedDenver said:

I agree. You said marriage licenses shouldn't be a thing, which I'm pointing out that they have a purpose and legal reasons for having them.

On 12/10/2022 at 10:56 AM, teachercd said:

Sorry...NEEDING anything to get married should not be a thing, unless it is 100% free.

Even if it's free, the important thing is the things where the marriage license is used to decide something should not use a marriage license to decide something. I should be able to have whoever I want visit me in the hospital, as long as it's who I designated to be able to visit me. It shouldn't have anything to do with a marriage license. The government shouldn't be involved in marriage and marriage shouldn't be required for anything. If I can pick a power of attorney I should be able to pick someone to do the things that are generally done by a spouse.

And Christians who talk about the sanctity of marriage are nuts. Churches and their leaders can decline to marry anyone they want. The licenses are approved by the government.

6 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Even if it's free, the important thing is the things where the marriage license is used to decide something should not use a marriage license to decide something. I should be able to have whoever I want visit me in the hospital, as long as it's who I designated to be able to visit me. It shouldn't have anything to do with a marriage license. The government shouldn't be involved in marriage and marriage shouldn't be required for anything. If I can pick a power of attorney I should be able to pick someone to do the things that are generally done by a spouse.

And Christians who talk about the sanctity of marriage are nuts. Churches and their leaders can decline to marry anyone they want. The licenses are approved by the government.

Yep!

I never even thought about that hospital part but you are totally right!

10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I get what you're saying.  But, the hospital isn't as simple as that.  Let's say you have a heart attack and end up in the ICU for a week on machines keeping you alive.  You have no other family other than your significant other.  You had no chance to "designate whoever you want" to visit you.  So...the hospital has to make a decision.  In an ICU situation, many times, it's not an environment where you can have lots of visitors trotting in and out and staying for an extended period of time.  Many times the patient is not dressed in a manner that just anyone should be able to see them...etc. So, somehow there has to be rules as to who can visit in those situations if the patient isn't able to communicate and decide.  I'm fine with only allowing family, pastor/priest...etc. in those situations.  However, the rules need to understand that "family" doesn't always coincide with someone else's religious belief.  

43 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I get what you're saying.  But, the hospital isn't as simple as that.  Let's say you have a heart attack and end up in the ICU for a week on machines keeping you alive.  You have no other family other than your significant other.  You had no chance to "designate whoever you want" to visit you.  So...the hospital has to make a decision.  In an ICU situation, many times, it's not an environment where you can have lots of visitors trotting in and out and staying for an extended period of time.  Many times the patient is not dressed in a manner that just anyone should be able to see them...etc. So, somehow there has to be rules as to who can visit in those situations if the patient isn't able to communicate and decide.  I'm fine with only allowing family, pastor/priest...etc. in those situations.  However, the rules need to understand that "family" doesn't always coincide with someone else's religious belief.  

The marriage license makes things easy but it's not necessary. It should simply just have a different name so the religious people who are crazy stop freaking out over dumb s#!t, although I guess it's kind of funny that it bothers them so much. But anyhow, this piece of paper that says who can visit you at the hospital should not have anything to do with who you marry in a religious ceremony, even though it would be the same person most of the time.

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The marriage license makes things easy but it's not necessary. It should simply just have a different name so the religious people who are crazy stop freaking out over dumb s#!t, although I guess it's kind of funny that it bothers them so much. But anyhow, this piece of paper that says who can visit you at the hospital should not have anything to do with who you marry in a religious ceremony, even though it would be the same person most of the time.

Like I said earlier.  There is a difference between a religious marriage and a legal one.  They are not the same and people shouldn't be upset that a legal one doesn't abide by their religious one.

• Plus1 1