The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

I agree with the above.  The more the GOP acts like the current GOP (talk of sales tax, talks of cutting SS, Medicare, etc) the more

I'm becoming a Democrat.  And they all think in the end game they will all end up in palaces and they won't give a rip about the voter

who sent them to Congress.  They will be well into their corporate cushy job and not have to be accountable for their actions. A job paid by

their betrayal of the voter and their loyalty to the corporate bosses who they are really working for.  

You have to figure that this board is somewhat of a microcosm of the larger electorate.  Strictly looking at this from a strategic perspective, I have to wonder if instead of moving to the far right, the Republicans should have moved more to the center.  How many posters here are former Republicans who will be hard pressed to ever vote for that party again?  I guess the internal strategists to this into account but if it wasn't for gerrymandering and the Electoral College this party would have gone the way of the ivory-billed woodpecker over the past 10 years.  

18 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

You have to figure that this board is somewhat of a microcosm of the larger electorate.  Strictly looking at this from a strategic perspective, I have to wonder if instead of moving to the far right, the Republicans should have moved more to the center.  How many posters here are former Republicans who will be hard pressed to ever vote for that party again?  I guess the internal strategists to this into account but if it wasn't for gerrymandering and the Electoral College this party would have gone the way of the ivory-billed woodpecker over the past 10 years.  

Yes, but of all those on the board there's just a handful that are on the P&R board ... and that too is representative of the level of engagement and knowledge out in the world.  The others just vote like they do without engaging here about the topics.  I can only speak for my parents, one who is a Fox TV watcher 24/7 and straight GOP and the other who lives with it on, calls themselves an independent but talks about Soros and Hilary's Bengazi and "The Squad" like they're some sort of mobster gang and so she votes R.  Theyu "don't care to learn more, and none of it will impact us anyway, we'll be dead."  People vote without paying attention to what's going on.  If there's anything we could figure out that would improve this country would be to:

1. determine how to get folks caring and engaged (Trump actually helped I think with this) and

2. Teach folks how to determine "fake news" from real.  We see it even here all the time, people are not able or don't care to figure out the truth, they'd rather latch onto the quick and dirty headlines and run with them.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Yes, but of all those on the board there's just a handful that are on the P&R board ... and that too is representative of the level of engagement and knowledge out in the world.  The others just vote like they do without engaging here about the topics.  I can only speak for my parents, one who is a Fox TV watcher 24/7 and straight GOP and the other who lives with it on, calls themselves an independent but talks about Soros and Hilary's Bengazi and "The Squad" like they're some sort of mobster gang and so she votes R.  Theyu "don't care to learn more, and none of it will impact us anyway, we'll be dead."  People vote without paying attention to what's going on.  If there's anything we could figure out that would improve this country would be to:

1. determine how to get folks caring and engaged (Trump actually helped I think with this) and

2. Teach folks how to determine "fake news" from real.  We see it even here all the time, people are not able or don't care to figure out the truth, they'd rather latch onto the quick and dirty headlines and run with them.

True enough 

21 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Whoopsie.... there goes that Constitution thingy again

With the SCOTUS loaded with conservatives and today's political environment you know that if they could possibly identify a liberal as the leaker they would.  The fact that they can't sorta tells the whole story. 

On 1/18/2023 at 12:31 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

I used to make that argument. I thought we gave organized White Supremacists too much attention: they were tiny parties who were given little space in the public sphere and tended to embarrass themselves whenever they did emerge. Call it political correctness or just correctness, but no national elected official or media outlet would give them cover.

That simply isn't true today. It's kinda mind-boggling, but the Trump Supporters of which you speak have normalized racist beliefs, words, and actions. Almost like there were millions of people who agreed with some or most of the White Supremacist manifesto but were afraid to raise their voice. Until it was normalized by a President who actually found a way to sympathize with the Confederacy and Nazis. Tucker Carlson has the highest rated news show on television, and he is providing an incredible amount of cover for overt white nationalism. These people feel their voices are finally being heard. 

They are being elected to office and they are advancing white supremacy. Not sure which country you're watching. 

There are a majority of good people on the other side, but pretending they will prevail is dangerous.

Again I'm going to complain that you guys are hijacking the original conversation about the King Lee Day.

Can you comment on if there is overt white nationalism in this picture. Were people's voices being heard?

Carl Vinson signed the Southern Manifesto and voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1957, the Civil Rights Act of 1960, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and against ratifying the 24th amendment.

CVN-70-USS-Carl-Vinson-photo-082.thumb.jpg.4926fd87db894655713ce7c2a5eb7938.jpg

• TBH 1
59 minutes ago, Gage County said:

Again I'm going to complain that you guys are hijacking the original conversation about the King Lee Day.

Can you comment on if there is overt white nationalism in this picture. Were people's voices being heard?

Carl Vinson signed the Southern Manifesto and voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1957, the Civil Rights Act of 1960, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and against ratifying the 24th amendment.

CVN-70-USS-Carl-Vinson-photo-082.thumb.jpg.4926fd87db894655713ce7c2a5eb7938.jpg

Pretty sure we can agree that there has been a major nationwide rethinking of historical figures and statues and namesakes over the last 25 years, with a rapid acceleration in the last five years. Honestly not sure what point you're trying to make here, other than the fact that most people don't know who Carl Vinson was and did not raise their voice about it during the Clinton administration.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Gage County said:

Not sure if you're trolling or just can't read the title of the thread, which is the "original conversation". Start another thread if you want more focus on King Lee Day.

• TBH 2

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

With the SCOTUS loaded with conservatives and today's political environment you know that if they could possibly identify a liberal as the leaker they would.  The fact that they can't sorta tells the whole story. 

This whole thing is stupid. 

Do you know how easy it would be to leak that and nobody would have even a remote chance of finding out?  

But, Republicans think it’s done deep state conspiracy that they can’t figure it out. 

Idiots.  

2 hours ago, Scarlet said:

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952r8z4k5od4iwts0bbhbv

I was republican until approx. Trumps 2nd year in office. And I wasn’t just a casual R, I leaned pretty hard right. I typically voted R down the line. Hated Hillary, hated Pelosi etc. In 2016 I voted Independent, Gary Johnson IIRC. 2020 I voted Biden and Ds down the line. I don’t feel I’ve changed much at all politically. The difference is the R party hammered it hard right and left me in the dust. They will need to stop the crazy train to get me back on board.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

There are actually very few people who would have had access to the draft. 

And anybody who did have access had a pretty diligent monitor on who opened it and when, copies made etc.  They know exactly who did it or was directed to do it.