The Republican Utopia

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Oh yes.....Putin is now going to come liberate America.

WTAF has happened to these GOP people? That party is more unhinged than the Taliban with their religious zealotry and no idea whatsoever of what this country was founded on. It’s freedom of religion numb nuts, not everyone needs to comply with my beliefs.  Sorry….went all woke there for a minute. ;) Dips#!ts.

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

The issue with private investments is that people are terrible with finances in general. They would likely mismanage their retirements and cost themselves money. 

Outside of idiotically withdrawing funds early, do people mismanage a 401k (this can just not be allowed for SS) Everyone, literally everyone, I know just deposits their contribution and watches it grow over time.  The contribution funds are limited and lower risk.  You m not seeing how it could be mismanaged at an individual level.  

• Plus1 2
43 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

No matter the scenario, there's a reason why Republicans don't make a serious attempt to privatize social security when they control congress: it doesn't work.

It would create more value for people over time than our current system.   One reason they don’t do it is because Dems would lie about it, they wouldn’t have the guts to stand on the better policy out of fear of not being elected.   The other reason is that a 10-20 period of time exists cost wise for the new system to take hold.  

Just saying it doesn’t work is wrong. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Outside of idiotically withdrawing funds early, do people mismanage a 401k (this can just not be allowed for SS) Everyone, literally everyone, I know just deposits their contribution and watches it grow over time.  The contribution funds are limited and lower risk.  You m not seeing how it could be mismanaged at an individual level.  

There many ways it can be mismanaged. Individuals take loans from their 401k(s), they panic when the market is down an stop contributing, they simply don't participate in their employers 401(k) plans, they withdraw money and pay a penalty, etc.

Plus, in a hypothetical where a 2008 financial crisis or another pandemic: thr government and central bank would have to intervene even more aggressively than they already do.

You're assuming everybody has great financial literacy and realizes that buy/hold strategies are their best options. People are terrible with money and make terrible choices routinely. 

• TBH 2
8 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

There many ways it can be mismanaged. Individuals take loans from their 401k(s), they panic when the market is down an stop contributing, they simply don't participate in their employers 401(k) plans, they withdraw money and pay a penalty, etc.

Plus, in a hypothetical where a 2008 financial crisis or another pandemic: thr government and central bank would have to intervene even more aggressively than they already do.

You're assuming everybody has great financial literacy and realizes that buy/hold strategies are their best options. People are terrible with money and make terrible choices routinely. 

Yep...I see it all the time with our 401K.  I have employees with 2 or 3 loans on their 401K.  And, they are close to retirement.  

• Plus1 1

I’ve been trying to figure out how the GOP defines “woke”. This is what I’ve gleaned so far.

1- Acknowledging, learning about and teaching actual proven history. This covers a lot of territory but extra emphasis is placed on racism and slavery. The GOP does not want you to know these are very real things that happened in the past and that racism is still a thing. So “woke” in this case refers to people who actually know history, understand reality and think it’s wise that people/students learn about it.

2- Acceptance and tolerance of people that happen to be different. If you understand and can live with the idea that some people prefer the same sex or were born biologically one sex but with inate inclinations towards being the opposite sex, you are “woke”. If you realize this does not harm your personal life, liberty or pursuit of happiness in any way, the GOP thinks you are “woke”.

3- If you don’t think Christianity is the only viable religious belief system allowed in this country you are “woke”. If you understand and want it taught that this country was founded on the individuals right to freedom of religion and the freedom from other’s religion, you are “woke”.

That’s about all I’ve come up with so far. I don’t like the term “woke”, they make it seem so demeaning and dirty but I guess I’ll have to accept that I am “woke” because what it actually means is you understand unrevised history and accept actual science and facts. The only takeaway for this is that the opposite of being woke is being stupid, uninformed and afraid of the truth.

• TBH 3
5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I’ve been trying to figure out how the GOP defines “woke”. This is what I’ve gleaned so far.

1- Acknowledging, learning about and teaching actual proven history. This covers a lot of territory but extra emphasis is placed on racism and slavery. The GOP does not want you to know these are very real things that happened in the past and that racism is still a thing. So “woke” in this case refers to people who actually know history, understand reality and think it’s wise that people/students learn about it.

2- Acceptance and tolerance of people that happen to be different. If you understand and can live with the idea that some people prefer the same sex or were born biologically one sex but with inate inclinations towards being the opposite sex, you are “woke”. If you realize this does not harm your personal life, liberty or pursuit of happiness in any way, the GOP thinks you are “woke”.

3- If you don’t think Christianity is the only viable religious belief system allowed in this country you are “woke”. If you understand and want it taught that this country was founded on the individuals right to freedom of religion and the freedom from other’s religion, you are “woke”.

That’s about all I’ve come up with so far. I don’t like the term “woke”, they make it seem so demeaning and dirty but I guess I’ll have to accept that I am “woke” because what it actually means is you understand unrevised history and accept actual science and facts. The only takeaway for this is that the opposite of being woke is being stupid, uninformed and afraid of the truth.

4- Understanding and accepting that our past history is not full of American being the greatest society in the world and that we, throughout our history, have made some pretty dang horrible mistakes.  But, also accept that recognizing those things that are still like that and wanting change.....that's woke.

The problem with Republicans is that they look at these things as all of us hating 'merica.  That isn't it at all.  We love America, not because of all these faults.  But, because our country can change.  We have seen it.  We have experienced it and we are a better country because of it.  America today is better than it was in the 60s.  America in the 60s was better than it was at the turn of the 20th century.  1900 was a better country than it was in 1850.  All that is because we were able to change.  Republicans look at all of that as destroying 'merica and all that's good in the world.

• TBH 2
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

4- Understanding and accepting that our past history is not full of American being the greatest society in the world and that we, throughout our history, have made some pretty dang horrible mistakes.  But, also accept that recognizing those things that are still like that and wanting change.....that's woke.

The problem with Republicans is that they look at these things as all of us hating 'merica.  That isn't it at all.  We love America, not because of all these faults.  But, because our country can change.  We have seen it.  We have experienced it and we are a better country because of it.  America today is better than it was in the 60s.  America in the 60s was better than it was at the turn of the 20th century.  1900 was a better country than it was in 1850.  All that is because we were able to change.  Republicans look at all of that as destroying 'merica and all that's good in the world.

Great addition. :thumbs

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

You're trying to deflect from the GOP lying about cutting SS/Medicare.

No, you are being obtuse on what the conversation is about yet again.  It’s been a debt and ceiling discussion since November.  And Dems like you and Joey are trying to tie a future entitlement discussion into this debt ceiling discussion.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1