The Republican Utopia

Just so we're clear - protesting that guns are killing children in Tennessee - that's an offense so bad that you should be expelled from the House.

But sexually harassing teenagers - that's not worthy of expulsion. 

Just the absolute best people, Republicans. 

GOP leader, who voted to expel Tennessee Three, found guilty of sexually harassing interns

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — A member of GOP leadership in the Tennessee House of Representatives was recently found guilty of sexually harassing at least one legislative intern, likely two, by an ethics subcommittee acting in secret, NewsChannel 5 Investigates has learned.

Rep. Scotty Campbell, who serves as vice chair of the House Republican Caucus and who recently voted to expel three Democrats who engaged in a gun violence protest on the House floor, suffered no consequences as a result of his actions.

Despite accusations of sometimes extremely vulgar comments and other inappropriate advances, Republicans did not remove the 39-year-old East Tennessee lawmaker from his leadership position nor from his committee assignments.

But taxpayers have paid for his actions.

NewsChannel 5 has learned that potentially thousands of dollars have been spent to protect one victim, relocating her from the downtown apartment building where she and Campbell both had apartments, shipping her furniture back home in another part of the state and placing her in a downtown hotel for the remainder of her internship.

Legislative officials refused to say how much they've paid out, saying that information is confidential.

Confronted with the allegations Thursday as he headed to Capitol Hill, Campbell referenced a second intern who was also involved in the investigation. NewsChannel 5 was previously unaware of that individual's complaint.

"I had consensual, adult conversations with two adults off property," he insisted.

"I think conversations are consensual once that is verbally agreed to. If I choose to talk to any intern in the future, it will be recorded."

But a four-member ethics subcommittee, composed of two Republicans and two Democrats, came to a different conclusion, according to a memorandum dated March 29 that was sent to House Speaker Cameron Sexton.

"Based on the completed staff investigation, the Ethics Subcommittee finds that Representative Campbell violated the Policy" against workplace discrimination and harassment, the memo says.

Legislative interns are generally students from Tennessee colleges and universities. NewsChannel 5 is withholding the name, exact age and university of the victim in the sexual harassment investigation to protect her identity.

The woman declined to comment for this story.

But in an email, given to NewsChannel 5 Investigates by a family member, the victim provided a detailed account to officials at her university about her experiences with the Republican leader.

For example, after seeing her and another 19-year-old female intern entering her apartment at the nearby Capitol Towers, the woman describes how Campbell later "made comments about how ... he was in his apartment imagining that we were performing sexual acts on one another and how it drove him crazy knowing that was happening so close to him."

"I uncomfortably explained that that was not happening," she recounts, "and he insisted that he knew it was and asked me to tell him about it.

"I explained that she is my friend, and he proceeded to describe how sexually attractive he finds her," referring to the 19-year-old intern.

That 19-year-old female intern is believed to be the second person who complained.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I had this same conversation with family a few weeks ago. Eerily similar. They truly believe this stuff, and refuse to modify their belief even when presented contrary evidence.

I wish the crazies would stop believing things about litter boxes and how all teachers are trying to tell kids to change their genders and crap like that.  99.9% of teachers are just there to work the day and go home.

• TBH 1
2 minutes ago, nic said:

Sorry, I am with the GOP on this topic. 

I would be interested to see where women stand on it. I know my neighbor,who is a supporter of women's rights and a supporter of LGBTQ issues, is struggling with it. she'll lean toward women, especially if they mess with title IX. 

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/20/politics/house-transgender-sports-bill/index.html

You don't need to apologize. I believe most people in this forum have always admitted that trans athletes are a more complicated and struggle-worthy issue, including that guy who's the father of a trans child. 

It's worth setting aside for a separate discussion. Similar GOP actions against trans rights involve personal decisions that harm no one. 

• TBH 2