The Republican Utopia

That's the kick in the crotch. What I said wasn't extreme. What I said, everything, has been articulated by various Republicans over the years.

Some Republican leaders and politicians support or want some of those things. Some others want others. No, that isn't extreme.

What is extreme, and is what you did, is implying that all Republicans want all of those things. Forget being in the ballpark of that being accurate - that's not even playing the same sport.

Well Landlord, the problem is: I can't differentiate between which Republicans are bigots and which are not. None of them have a sign on or near them indicating what they believe. Therefore, it is simply safer for me to assume they're haters and want to discriminate or do harm.

This is the biggest problem I have in talking with most straight people: most of you have absolutely zero idea just how much hatred, bigotry, and intolerance there actually is out there. Anti-gay sentiments, blind hatred and fear of trans people, it's everywhere. Why don't you see it? It's not because you're bad. It's because you're straight. None of you have to worry about getting insulted, threatened, or attacked when holding your partner's hand. No one who is straight ever has to worry about being fired from your job because you're straight. No one who is straight has to worry about being denied housing because you're straight. No one who is straight has to worry about being assaulted because you're straight.

I know you mean well Landlord, but the truth is, for those who aren't LBGTQIA, you have no idea just how extreme and dangerous the Republican agenda is for me and people like me, because you're not affected.

QoV46Kr.png

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/immigration/article131227599.html

This disturbing fact follows ICEs admission that, of the 36,007 criminal aliens it released from ICE custody in Fiscal Year 2013, 1,000 have been re-convicted of additional crimes in the short time since their release, according to the letter, dated June 12, 2015.

The Senate Judiciary Committee letter revealed that 121 immigrant convicts were charged with homicide following their release from ICE custody between 2010 and 2014. It also noted that in 2014, ICE released 2,457 immigrant convicts because of the Supreme Court ruling prohibiting detention of deportable foreign nationals beyond six months.

The Senate Judiciary Committee letter - PDF: http://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news/article131327329.ece/binary/ICE_Letter.pdf

But in response to the letter, Sarah Saldaña, then-director of ICE, stated that 33 of the 121 immigrant convicts accused of homicide-related offenses had been released on bond at the discretion of immigration courts. Another 24 were released because ICE was unable to obtain approval to deport them to their countries within the 180-day deadline set by the Supreme Court in 2001.

Of course none of that info justifies an immigration ban, but to say no crimes or murders have come at the hands of immigrants is just not true.

That's the kick in the crotch. What I said wasn't extreme. What I said, everything, has been articulated by various Republicans over the years.

Some Republican leaders and politicians support or want some of those things. Some others want others. No, that isn't extreme.

What is extreme, and is what you did, is implying that all Republicans want all of those things. Forget being in the ballpark of that being accurate - that's not even playing the same sport.

Well Landlord, the problem is: I can't differentiate between which Republicans are bigots and which are not. None of them have a sign on or near them indicating what they believe. Therefore, it is simply safer for me to assume they're haters and want to discriminate or do harm.

This is the biggest problem I have in talking with most straight people: most of you have absolutely zero idea just how much hatred, bigotry, and intolerance there actually is out there. Anti-gay sentiments, blind hatred and fear of trans people, it's everywhere. Why don't you see it? It's not because you're bad. It's because you're straight. None of you have to worry about getting insulted, threatened, or attacked when holding your partner's hand. No one who is straight ever has to worry about being fired from your job because you're straight. No one who is straight has to worry about being denied housing because you're straight. No one who is straight has to worry about being assaulted because you're straight.

I know you mean well Landlord, but the truth is, for those who aren't LBGTQIA, you have no idea just how extreme and dangerous the Republican agenda is for me and people like me, because you're not affected.

The bolded reminds me of how some talk about Muslims. People shouldn't generalize. I have trouble understanding how people can vote Republican considering their anti-gay policies, but I know Republicans who aren't anti-gay. To many of them, when you weigh "killing babies" vs discrimination, the former outweighs the latter so they go ahead and vote Republican.

You are right, I don't know what it's like. But I do know the place of ignorance and hate that I came from personally, and I know the struggles and the trials of my friends, and I fight for you. All the time I fight for you.

What I am telling you is that if you have a goal of your conversation actually contributing to the solution, you're not achieving it because people are immediately tuning out anything you might have to offer due to your broad brush diagnosing. If your goal is only to stay safe, I do not condemn you for that because you need to take care of yourself, but I'm telling you that we need you in the fight FOR something better and not just in the fight against something.

QoV46Kr.png

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/immigration/article131227599.html

This disturbing fact follows ICEs admission that, of the 36,007 criminal aliens it released from ICE custody in Fiscal Year 2013, 1,000 have been re-convicted of additional crimes in the short time since their release, according to the letter, dated June 12, 2015.

The Senate Judiciary Committee letter revealed that 121 immigrant convicts were charged with homicide following their release from ICE custody between 2010 and 2014. It also noted that in 2014, ICE released 2,457 immigrant convicts because of the Supreme Court ruling prohibiting detention of deportable foreign nationals beyond six months.

The Senate Judiciary Committee letter - PDF: http://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news/article131327329.ece/binary/ICE_Letter.pdf

But in response to the letter, Sarah Saldaña, then-director of ICE, stated that 33 of the 121 immigrant convicts accused of homicide-related offenses had been released on bond at the discretion of immigration courts. Another 24 were released because ICE was unable to obtain approval to deport them to their countries within the 180-day deadline set by the Supreme Court in 2001.

Of course none of that info justifies an immigration ban, but to say no crimes or murders have come at the hands of immigrants is just not true.

The quote was specific to refugees.

Moraine said: The bolded reminds me of how some talk about Muslims. People shouldn't generalize. I have trouble understanding how people can vote Republican considering their anti-gay policies, but I know Republicans who aren't anti-gay. To many of them, when you weigh "killing babies" vs discrimination, the former outweighs the latter so they go ahead and vote Republican.

​The bolded part...unfortunately that is true.

However, if there is one subject that most Republicans, most Muslims, and in fact most of society can all agree on, is that being gay, trans, queer, etc is reprehensible and anyone who is LBGTQIA should be, at the minimum, discriminated against. They hold the view that we do not belong in society and as such, any action they take against us, no matter how extreme, is always justifiable through religious beliefs.

The irony is, religious republicans, for all their anti-Muslim rhetoric, are far closer aligned to Islamic militants in ideology than they are what the Republican party was founded on: freedom, prosperity, adherence to the Constitution, limited government, etc.

And not to stray too far from the point: too many Republicans (both elected and rank and file) have an agenda that very closely has goals exactly what I have bullet pointed above.

And while I am catching flack (?deserved?) for what I say for being so general, all I can do is ask you (and everyone else) one question...

What's worse, the 1 Republican who openly espouses the extremist bullet points I listed earlier, or the 10 Republicans who sit by idly and do nothing even if they disagree?

Moraine said: The bolded reminds me of how some talk about Muslims. People shouldn't generalize. I have trouble understanding how people can vote Republican considering their anti-gay policies, but I know Republicans who aren't anti-gay. To many of them, when you weigh "killing babies" vs discrimination, the former outweighs the latter so they go ahead and vote Republican.

However, if there is one subject that most Republicans, most Muslims, and in fact most of society can all agree on, is that being gay, trans, queer, etc is reprehensible and anyone who is LBGTQIA should be, at the minimum, discriminated against. They hold the view that we do not belong in society and as such, any action they take against us, no matter how extreme, is always justifiable through religious beliefs.

The irony is, religious republicans, for all their anti-Muslim rhetoric, are far closer aligned to Islamic militants in ideology than they are what the Republican party was founded on: freedom, prosperity, adherence to the Constitution, limited government, etc.

And not to stray too far from the point: too many Republicans (both elected and rank and file) have an agenda that very closely has goals exactly what I have bullet pointed above.

And while I am catching flack (?deserved?) for what I say for being so general, all I can do is ask you (and everyone else) one question...

What's worse, the 1 Republican who openly espouses the extremist bullet points I listed earlier, or the 10 Republicans who sit by idly and do nothing even if they disagree?

My question is, what are you hoping to accomplish with these broad-brushed accusations? If your goal is to advance LBGTQIA rights, you are only hurting your cause by vilifying all Republicans regardless of their views on LBGTQIA rights. You are promoting the same us vs them mentality that is largely responsible for the discrimination that you are fighting against.

Hey Chimi - forgive me if you've disclosed this before (and certainly don't share if it's an inappropriate question) but where in the country do you live? I ask because I've lived on the east coast for a number of years and I don't see the same level of vitriol and discrimination of LGBTQ folks here, so I'm trying to understand if it's a regional thing or if I'm really that disconnected. Certainly I know there are pockets of discrimination and discomfort here - but my LGBTQ friends are feeling pretty good about how things are going right now (except what may lie ahead with this administration - and there are many of us scared about many things).

I'm just wondering if your perspective and experience is influenced a great deal by your region/community.

The whole convo about broad brush statements - I'm assuming that what you write of has been your experience. I'm sorry and you should know that there are many of us who support you whole heartedly and fight right along side you.

And to answer your question - 10 R's that sit by idly and do nothing.

Okay, here goes:

NOTE: I should have initially qualified what I said here to mean members of Congress, both the House and Senate.

The Republican Utopia

​* "Dangerous" non-whites are completely removed from America.

Black people are exterminated out-right.

​Brown people are killed and/or rounded up and shipped back to their country of origin.

* Non-christians are either forced to convert or are jailed or killed.

* People who are gay, transgender, queer, non-binary, etc are forced to become straight or are killed.

* No minimum wage. It'll be completely up to corporations and companies what to pay their employees.

* No ethics committees to oversee them and make it impossible to get any information on what they do.

* Remove all regulations governing safety of employees, abolish vacation time, over-time pay.

* Legalize discrimination against anyone non-white and non-Christian and call it "religious freedom."

* Deny people of non-Christian faiths the right to practice their religion. (Mostly this refers to Islam.)

* Abolish science as a subject taught in schools and completely forbid teaching evolution.

* Make studying the bible, praying in public schools, and teaching creationism a part of the core learning.

* Outlaw protests against them and make obtaining permits for any protest nearly impossible to get.

* Revoke citizenship or jail anyone who burns the American flag.

I'm sure there are more, but those are what I can think of, off the top of my head because those subjects have all come up recently.

Well...I'm conservative and at one time was a Republican. I believe the Republican party has lost it's way and isn't something I can vote for.

But...your post is out in la la land on the subject.

This would be akin to me claiming Obama is Muslim and wants install Sharia law in the US and Democrats have been planning this for 40 years when they first brought him from Kenya as a child prodigy to ultimately destroy America.

Except, there are stories from CNN and other sites where Republicans are actually talking about doing many of the things I mentioned.

Legalizing religious based discrimination: https://www.texastribune.org/2016/02/17/senate-republicans-zeroing-religious-freedom-bills/

Burn the American flag, go to jail: http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/29/politics/donald-trump-flag-burning-penalty-proposal/index.html

So you are for the first amendment ..but not really?

Okay, here goes:

NOTE: I should have initially qualified what I said here to mean members of Congress, both the House and Senate.

The Republican Utopia

​Brown people are killed and/or rounded up and shipped back to their country of origin.

* People who are gay, transgender, queer, non-binary, etc are forced to become straight or are killed.

* No minimum wage. It'll be completely up to corporations and companies what to pay their employees.

* No ethics committees to oversee them and make it impossible to get any information on what they do.

* Remove all regulations governing safety of employees, abolish vacation time, over-time pay.

* Legalize discrimination against anyone non-white and non-Christian and call it "religious freedom."

* Deny people of non-Christian faiths the right to practice their religion. (Mostly this refers to Islam.)

* Abolish science as a subject taught in schools and completely forbid teaching evolution.

* Make studying the bible, praying in public schools, and teaching creationism a part of the core learning.

* Outlaw protests against them and make obtaining permits for any protest nearly impossible to get.

I'm sure there are more, but those are what I can think of, off the top of my head because those subjects have all come up recently.

Well...I'm conservative and at one time was a Republican. I believe the Republican party has lost it's way and isn't something I can vote for.

This would be akin to me claiming Obama is Muslim and wants install Sharia law in the US and Democrats have been planning this for 40 years when they first brought him from Kenya as a child prodigy to ultimately destroy America.

Except, there are stories from CNN and other sites where Republicans are actually talking about doing many of the things I mentioned.

Legalizing religious based discrimination: https://www.texastribune.org/2016/02/17/senate-republicans-zeroing-religious-freedom-bills/

Burn the American flag, go to jail: http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/29/politics/donald-trump-flag-burning-penalty-proposal/index.html

The first article is pro-14th amendment and the second is pro-1st amendment. I don't see your point.

Okay, here goes:

The Republican Utopia

The first article is pro-14th amendment and the second is pro-1st amendment. I don't see your point.

I guess I see the texas tribune article and the cnn piece both as 1st amendment issues. How is it a 14th issue?

Okay, here goes:

The Republican Utopia

I guess I see the texas tribune article and the cnn piece both as 1st amendment issues. How is it a 14th issue?

The article is about laws that would grant individuals the right to discriminate against individuals in the LBGTQIA community. The 14th amendment prohibits states from passing laws that allow for targeted discrimination and was used by SCOTUS to declare bans on gay marriage unconstitutional.

So say muslim cab owners wont let drunks in their cab ( happens in Minn a lot) or gay print shop owners wont print westboro baptist posters. Should they be forced to provide those services? I don't think so.

That court ruling was and is out of their bounds, they say what the law is, not make law. A problem we've had for sometime now.

The 1st protects flag burning. It's disrespectful to those that have bled and died in service of that flag. Disrespectful yes, illegal no.

Same with refusing service on religious beliefs. I see it as authoritarian govt overreach when the state tells private business to whom and when they can conduct business.

So say muslim cab owners wont let drunks in their cab ( happens in Minn a lot) or gay print shop owners wont print westboro baptist posters. Should they be forced to provide those services? I don't think so.

That court ruling was and is out of their bounds, they say what the law is, not make law. A problem we've had for sometime now.

The 1st protects flag burning. It's disrespectful to those that have bled and died in service of that flag. Disrespectful yes, illegal no.

Same with refusing service on religious beliefs. I see it as authoritarian govt overreach when the state tells private business to whom and when they can conduct business.

The state is what created the rules for even having businesses and markets. Without the govt setting up and enforcing those rules, there would be no business. Part of those rules is equal treatment. You have the choice to follow the rules and have a business or not.

• Fire 2

The state is what created the rules for even having businesses and markets. Without the govt setting up and enforcing those rules, there would be no business. Part of those rules is equal treatment. You have the choice to follow the rules and have a business or not.

No, humans have traded and bartered since the beginning of time.