The Republican Utopia

This is not a defense of Ryan's absurd statement, but you can't possibly use that excuse with Clinton. After 20+ years in public office, she's not remotely new to the rules of the game.

I totally can and it's not wrong.

The claim that Trump was ignorant about it being okay to ask the FBI to stop investigating his friend is not anymore believable than the claim that Clinton was ignorant to the dangers of using a personal email server. The claim about her wouldn't be about being ignorant of checks and balances.

It's easy to say everyone her age is "new to this" when it comes to that kind of thing.

• Fire 1

Jalopnik: Why Kushner's Russia Back Channel Looks "Dirty as Hell" http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/why-kushners-russian-back-channel-looks-dirty-as-hell-1795855952

In the world of U.S. diplomacy, back channels of communication between governments exist for various reasons. But they are more regulated than you may think. Though, it appears that President Trump’s son-in-law ’s meeting with the Russian ambassador at Trump Tower was anything but regulated. And his actions weren’t just suspicious to the average person. Experts who held diplomatic positions with top-secret clearance said all of this looks very bad for Jared Kushner.

This is pretty bad. On the one hand, Hillary was careless and flout-the-rules secretive. On the other hand, we have people who quite seriously have bad intent -- not because they're paranoid about record-keeping but actually to go under the nose of the U.S.'s own security services in order to sidle up to foreign powers inappropriately.

The same Republicans who put on their serious "concerned citizen" faces to try to bring the house down on Hillary are now coming up with every manner of excuse, explanation, and whataboutism for Kushner, Flynn, and Trump himself. And these are the sane voices, supposedly, in the building. Lindsey Graham? John McCain? Those are the Republicans' stalwart anti-Russia mavericks of the day.

If this is what we get out of Republican leadership then rule of law has already lost, and decisively. Nobody is willing to bring down President Trump over this. Because deep, deep down, they love him. They need him.

I fear we're paving the way for something worse than Trump. All of this is showing that Congress will put party over country. A government takeover is looking a lot easier than it did previously.

We'll see what they do with the voting laws. Maybe it's already happening.

• Fire 3

https://news.thestreet.com/story/13749658/3/if-nevertrump-candidate-evan-mcmullin-was-president-here-s-what-would-happen-to-the-u-s-economy.html

Woo!

On financial regulation, McMullin would roll back Dodd-Frank. He would instead replace it with a "market-oriented solution" to provide incentives for banks to maintain higher capital reserves, which he says would reduce the bailout risk to taxpayers.

Conservatives are applauding this -- even the ones for whom it's not convenient to advertise. Evan McMullin won't highlight this alignment, I suspect; he's got a brand to build.

I wonder where we'd be as a country if opinion shows never started being prolific on TV.

Imagine this hearing happening 20-30 years ago. Many more people would probably watch most/all of the testilony and maybe get a statement by a couple important Democrat or GOP politicians.

Now so many people get the whole thing through a filter and have their opinions formed for them.

I wonder where we'd be as a country if opinion shows never started being prolific on TV.

Imagine this hearing happening 20-30 years ago. Many more people would probably watch most/all of the testilony and maybe get a statement by a couple important Democrat or GOP politicians.

Now so many people get the whole thing through a filter and have their opinions formed for them.

Well....that would have been right at the start of my Rush phase where I thought he was the greatest thing on radio.

So, we would have had that.

• 3 weeks later...

Well....that would have been right at the start of my Rush phase where I thought he was the greatest thing on radio.

So, we would have had that.

I will give him credit, he makes me laugh sometimes. Still can't stand him though. Or the damage he causes.