The Republican Utopia

In the Republican Utopia, nobody needs your stinkin' CBO!

Seriously, it's becomingly increasingly disconcerting that the GOP feels the need to try to hatchet objective analysis of their plans. It reminds me of the time right after Trump won, when their first move was to try to neuter the Office of Government Ethics.

Maybe if you have problems with those organizations, the problem is you.

• Plus1 1

A House Republican explains why deficits don’t matter anymore

Back when Barack Obama was president, congressional Republicans could frequently be heard arguing that both short-term budget deficits and the long-term accumulation of national debt were acute economic problems that needed to be addressed immediately. Debt aversion was a key reason not to stimulate the economy, not even with tax cuts like the payroll tax holiday that expired in 2012 due to GOP opposition. 

Today, though, Republican leaders are lining up behind a tax plan that looks sure to increase the deficit, with the money largely flowing to unpopular tax cuts for big business and the rich. 

To some critics, it smacks of partisan hypocrisy. But to congressional Republicans themselves, it’s, well, partisan hypocrisy. Via the Hill:

“It’s a great talking point when you have an administration that’s Democrat-led,” said Representative Mark Walker, Republican of North Carolina and the chairman of the Republican Study Committee, a group of about 150 conservative House members. “It’s a little different now that Republicans have both houses and the administration.”

Sometimes people accidentally tell the truth. :dunno

• Plus1 4

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

I knew this guy was an a-hole the moment I first heard him speak. Just like I knew John Edwards was an a-hole the moment I first heard him speak. They were both fake as s#!t and I can't believe anyone buys it. They remind me a lot of each other although maybe that's just 'cause they were VP candidates. 

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, knapplc said:

One of the greatest examples of how dysfunctional the GOP is right now is that they consider the guns these guys use to commit mass murder a right, while the health care needed to treat the victims is a privilege.

Great observation. 

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/04/trump-republican-senate-mcconnell-243421

More Repubs willing to oppose Trump and McConnell.  Some are deciding to stand on principle and not on party lines.  I say AMEN to the underlined and bold below.

Quote:

There’s a growing faction inside the Senate Republican Conference, and it looks like bad news for Mitch McConnell and Donald Trump: The devil-may-care caucus.

Unbeholden to Republican orthodoxy and freed from the burdens of imminent reelection campaigns, more GOP senators are flexing their independence in the aftermath of the party’s failed effort to repeal Obamacare. Sen. Bob Corker of Tennessee is the latest addition to the ranks. Days after announcing he would not seek reelection in 2018, he threatened to buck Republicans on tax reform and stood by his earlier criticism of Trump as lacking the stability or competence to be president.

In an interview, Corker acknowledged his freedom from facing reelection made it a “little easier” to take on his party. He’s declared he will oppose any tax plan that adds “one penny” to the deficit, which the GOP proposal is widely expected to do. Not only that, Corker told Politico, he’d “rail against” any such plan.

“People have lost their heads since the election,” Corker said of his party’s lurch from fiscal conservatism. “It’s a debate about the future. Are we folks who care about leaving this country better for future generations? Or are we all about ‘party-time’ here, to make ourselves beloved by people not having to pay taxes but throwing kids under the bus down the road?”

11 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/04/trump-republican-senate-mcconnell-243421

More Repubs willing to oppose Trump and McConnell.  Some are deciding to stand on principle and not on party lines.  I say AMEN to the underlined and bold below.

Quote:

There’s a growing faction inside the Senate Republican Conference, and it looks like bad news for Mitch McConnell and Donald Trump: The devil-may-care caucus.

Unbeholden to Republican orthodoxy and freed from the burdens of imminent reelection campaigns, more GOP senators are flexing their independence in the aftermath of the party’s failed effort to repeal Obamacare. Sen. Bob Corker of Tennessee is the latest addition to the ranks. Days after announcing he would not seek reelection in 2018, he threatened to buck Republicans on tax reform and stood by his earlier criticism of Trump as lacking the stability or competence to be president.

In an interview, Corker acknowledged his freedom from facing reelection made it a “little easier” to take on his party. He’s declared he will oppose any tax plan that adds “one penny” to the deficit, which the GOP proposal is widely expected to do. Not only that, Corker told Politico, he’d “rail against” any such plan.

“People have lost their heads since the election,” Corker said of his party’s lurch from fiscal conservatism. “It’s a debate about the future. Are we folks who care about leaving this country better for future generations? Or are we all about ‘party-time’ here, to make ourselves beloved by people not having to pay taxes but throwing kids under the bus down the road?”

Love the quote from Corker.

Hopefully this movement on Capital Hill grows.  They need to rail against BOTH Trump and McConnell because both are epic failures.

University of Wisconsin bans heckling (punishable by a semester's suspension for 2nd offense & expulsion for 3rd) at the behest of Scott Walker-appointed board of regents. 

He did a great thread on it. I'm sure Jeff Sessions will come Kool-aiding through a wall to protect free speech on campus any minute...

• Plus1 1