The Republican Utopia

These are the new faces that will inherit the Republican party. I just saw a story yesterday about how the California College Republicans elected a Milo-esque Breitbart author who wants "real change" as their leader over a more moderate, centrist candidate that espouses inclusion and traditional politicking. 

The GOP is truly undergoing a rebirth, and these are the people leading the charge. I'm sure they will turn out more of their own, but I can only hope their pool shrinks smaller as they turn off others who don't want more Trumps.

• Plus1 1

What fight is that? The one where they vote in favor of this?

Flake, Collins, Murkowski, McCain, Corker, all of them supported this. 

Flake picked a good day to trumpet his own 'bravery'. The same night he went to bat for his own values, such as they are.

Pay attention.

• Plus1 1

I've given up on conservatives supporting fiscal policy that will benefit average working people. If you have substantial means, you stand to benefit a lot more from their policies than if you don't. We've seen the same movie play out dating back to Bush and Reagan before him. Plus, they just plain hate the CFPB. 

I've made peace with that. We'll be sold out to benefit the wealthy and big business. Hopefully it doesn't result in another financial collapse. Right now, I'll settle for more Flakes and Corkers who are honest in public about how dangerous & damaging the president is & take them as allies in getting Trump out of office.

When that more pressing need is addressed, I'll be more than happy to critique their poor policy positions once again.

33 minutes ago, zoogs said:

What fight is that? The one where they vote in favor of this?

Flake, Collins, Murkowski, McCain, Corker, all of them supported this. 

Flake picked a good day to trumpet his own 'bravery'. The same night he went to bat for his own values, such as they are.

Pay attention.

This is why I find the whole Republican Party completely inept. Words mean nothing when this is what actually happens.

I try all the time to get people to see this is what Republicans really want. There is nothing conservative or upholding personal freedom about there actions.

• Plus1 3

The issue with the banks and CC companies absolutely pisses me off.  I've been in business long enough that I know how crappy some banks are and how others are better.  I also have been following fairly closely to what has been happening at Wells Fargo.

It absolutely blows my mind that every other type of corporation can have a class action lawsuit thrown at them......except banks and financial institutions.  This is NOTHING more than the banking lobby getting what they want by paying people off.

• Plus1 4
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Good post.  And this is bore out by the budget these repubs support.  They have  no conservative credibility left  nor do they have the right to be critical of the previous adminstation's budget.   I expect big spending from liberals and for the most part it will be with good intentions.  These guys, however speak with forked tongue.  I suspect it was the same types that negotiated with the Indian tribes - swindlers of the worst kind.  Presenting themselves as one  thing to the voters and doing another in DC.

• Plus1 3

I feel like every time we willingly go along with a Republican legislator's party rebranding efforts, we should put their voting record on the board as well -- just so it's clear what sort of world they're wistfully pining for. 

And I mean, "We started to argue about flag burning" is the example? Really? Conservative/Republican hero Antonin Scalia is a well-known defender of its protection under the First Amendment and that case was from the early 90s. We started talking about minorities being moochers who don't deserve targeted social safety net expansion at best, or violent criminals at worst. Is Flake going to apply the same teardown to Ed Gillespie, Virginia gubernatorial candidate who has been fearmongering ads about the MS-13 gang? Something we're actually talking about today is protesting during the anthem. Is Jeff Flake going to use his platform to bemoan the culture wars being waged at present? Is that the weight and standard of his "I will not be complicit or silent under the Trump administration" proclamation?

"I regret that we now look as racist as the politics I still basically support" is pretty inadequate. For example.

Edited by zoogs
  • Plus1 2

Curious about how ethical or legal Trump openly pining for Gillespie and trashing Northam via his twitter is. Is it ok for him to take sides like this in elections? It may be perfectly fine (not in the manner he does it but that's obvious) I just don't really know what type of ethical guidelines and laws POTUS has to abide by. Not like the Donald would care but at some point there may be alot of ammunition against Donald that needs to be used. 

Donald Trump has won and therefore nothing matters anymore :(

It's OK for a President to support candidates. It's the manner in which he does so that we should all take issue with. Today Ralph Northam won an impressive victory in Virginia. The President of the United States has been tweeting about how "MS13 and crime will be gone" if Northam's opponent were to win.

I do appreciate this from Evan McMullin: 

This is a pretty matter-of-fact endorsement of Northam, the Democratic candidate. It is not "I cannot in good conscience support this particular Republican". It is "The best thing for America is if this Republican lost this election." There is, of course, one way to do that.

Edited by zoogs
  • Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Curious about how ethical or legal Trump openly pining for Gillespie and trashing Northam via his twitter is. Is it ok for him to take sides like this in elections? It may be perfectly fine (not in the manner he does it but that's obvious) I just don't really know what type of ethical guidelines and laws POTUS has to abide by. Not like the Donald would care but at some point there may be alot of ammunition against Donald that needs to be used. 

Presidents have campaigned for members of the party in just about every election. 

• Plus1 1