The Republican Utopia

The tax bill.

Millions of people are about to get seriously hurt.

A tiny few will profit beyond their existing riches.

It's virtually impossible for the tax bill to do what its proponents claim. The economics community and all available evidence are united on this one. The proponents know it, too.

It's cruel. It's ugly. It wasn't finished and was never read by the people who just passed it.

I don't care about Russia or Pussi Grabbing or the latest stupid racist Tweet --- this is the part where it gets real and everyone is going to have to explain what they were doing when they watched it happen. 

Edited by Guy Chamberlin
  • Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The tax bill.

Millions of people are about to get seriously hurt.

A tiny few will profit beyond their existing riches.

It's virtually impossible for the tax bill to do what its proponents claim. The economics community and all available evidence are united on this one. The proponents know it, too.

It's cruel. It's ugly. It wasn't finished and was never read by the people who just passed it.

I don't care about Russia or Pussi Grabbing or the latest stupid racist Tweet --- this is the part where it gets real and everyone is going to have to explain what they were doing when they watched it happen. 

Let's be clear, all of this is real and none of it is ok. Anyone who has given Trump a pass for any of this needs to explain the same. There are repercussions for all of these things that will have to be dealt with. This is not a one issue problem, we are being hurt on many different levels. 

Edited by Nebfanatic
  • Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Let's be clear, all of this is real and none of it is ok. Anyone who has given Trump a pass for any of this needs to explain the same. There are repercussions for all of these things that will have to be dealt with. This is not a one issue problem, we are being hurt on many different levels. 

I'm thinking more about the GOP leadership and the money behind them, who are attempting to distance themselves from Trump while using him at the same time. 

I think they've benefitted from Trump's distractions and should the time come to remove him from office, they will position themselves as reasonable men who came forward for the benefit of the country and offered up the stalwart and ethical  presence of Mike Pence to heal the country.

But the tax bill they just passed is far more unethical, offensive, and consequential than anything Donald Trump recklessly spews. And sometimes that gets lost in the moment --- like today, when it's tempting to celebrate the Mueller investigation, while knowing it does nothing to reverse things like the tax bill.

• Plus1 3
32 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm thinking more about the GOP leadership and the money behind them, who are attempting to distance themselves from Trump while using him at the same time. 

I think they've benefitted from Trump's distractions and should the time come to remove him from office, they will position themselves as reasonable men who came forward for the benefit of the country and offered up the stalwart and ethical  presence of Mike Pence to heal the country.

But the tax bill they just passed is far more unethical, offensive, and consequential than anything Donald Trump recklessly spews. And sometimes that gets lost in the moment --- like today, when it's tempting to celebrate the Mueller investigation, while knowing it does nothing to reverse things like the tax bill.

Fair enough. I can see where you are coming from and don't disagree this tax bill will have a lasting negative impact, I just think it's important we don't ignore everything else because while Trump may be disposable, he is setting an example for the Nation now and what is going on will also have a lasting impact unless we recognize this as wrong and consciously choose a better direction.

My question is - if they've supposedly let him stay in office with no push back so that they could get healthcare/taxes passed - is it open season on him Monday if this thing passes?  Honestly if so, I'll take it - get rid of him, flip the house in 18' and turn back tax time.

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Fair enough. I can see where you are coming from and don't disagree this tax bill will have a lasting negative impact, I just think it's important we don't ignore everything else because while Trump may be disposable, he is setting an example for the Nation now and what is going on will also have a lasting impact unless we recognize this as wrong and consciously choose a better direction.

Make no mistake about it. Set the tax bill and deportations and tweeting aside for a moment...

Trump the human being has irreparably lowered the necessary standard for what should be the most powerful and respected position in the world.

• Plus1 5

Today, the GOP became the party of child molesters and sexual assaulters, so long as you love God and lower taxes.

What a sad, sad fall for the party of Ronald Reagan and Jack Kemp. The moral standards of the GOP are obliterated. I'm tired of talk about whether the Dems aren't getting their own house in order. Conyers is being called on to step down & Franken should as well.

We need to talk about this garbage.

• Plus1 1

It really is pathetic what the Republican Party has become.  I never in my life thought the party I belonged to for so long would vote in to President a sexual predator who openly endorses a child molester.  

It's like living in some weird alternate universe.

That said, I'm fine talking about Democrats who sexually harass too.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

It really is pathetic what the Republican Party has become.  I never in my life thought the party I belonged to for so long would vote in to President a sexual predator who openly endorses a child molester.  

It's like living in some weird alternate universe.

That said, I'm fine talking about Democrats who sexually harass too.

Oh, talking about it, sure. I want Conyers gone yesterday and I'm just done with Franken at this point, too. I do think there is still a discussion to be had about making sure accusations are credible before action, but if they are, people should lose jobs.

That said, I just think Dems are... slowly, painfully... learning to handle this better.

The GOP is just reverting. No one but the Never Trump folks are holding POTUS accountable at all & they're reverting on Moore to "let the people decide" & presidential endorsements.

It's nauseating how craven they are.

• Plus1 2

the republican party has been taken over by the alt right and is leaving many of it's members behind.   i believe many more will eventually realize the alt right isn't what they want and step back themselves.  hopefully we still ahve a democracy left when that day comes.

• Plus1 2

The fascinating thing is that this stuff -- tax bill, etc -- is NOT the alt-right. It's orthodox American conservatism going back decades.

The fringe alt-right stuff you'll find in open racism, white nationalism, and so on. Tax cuts no matter what? Core tenet. 

• Plus1 4