The Republican Utopia

Republicans: "Stop calling us bigots"

Also Republicans: "GOP lawmaker won't apologize for retweeting prominent British neo-Nazi"

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/394337-gop-lawmkaer-wont-apologize-for-retweeting-prominent-british

16 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Who applauds this kind of crap? Has this man no soul?

I'm just glad it wasn't a joke about someone's makeup, which is truly something to be outraged by. 

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Who applauds this kind of crap? Has this man no soul?

I heard a statement by someone with a different twist - that we Americans are ok wt separating children from their parents who go to jail.  Again - it minimizes the situation at hand and is a false comparison.  The other argument is that the policy isn't at fault it was the parents who brought the children with them that are at fault.     Regardless - this is not a joking matter. 

Long term I see only 3 solutions:

1.  Fortress American - we lock out, block out anyone and everyone 'not like us'  - although we are becoming more diverse by the day so the like us is constantly changing.  Long term this is a defeatist option and shows lack of leadership. Unfortunately this is the track of the current admin.

2.  NAU - the old North American Union argument  - borderless, migration of workers from one country to another as labor needs require and we look more like the Euro zone.

3. Federalization of NA -  USA and Canada subsidizing the Mexico and Latin American countries or we expand it to include USA, Canada, Brazil - the larger economies - taking care of the 

western hemisphere (with the help of other healthy economies in the w hemi) - Instead of mass migration, we build infrastructure, businesses, etc in the poor countries  - the "Teach Me how to Fish" idea.   Maybe instead of partnering with China to supply all of our Walmart goods, we should be building up the poorer economies of our hemisphere by helping them to grow businesses that can fulfill the needs of our consumer driven economy. 

• Plus1 1

Kennedy to retire July 31st.

McConnell has already stated they'll vote on Trump's nominee this fall.

Currently the non-Republicans basically need a 60% majority to win the House due to gerrymandering and underrepresentation when it comes to Rep allocation, they're underrepresented in the Senate for obvious reasons, and they're underrepresented in the Electoral College, and now the Supreme Court will have a strong 5-4 majority (or 6-3 if a non GOP judge dies or retires) after stealing a justice from Obama.

Please quit arguing against the popular vote if you don't think the above is okay. 2 of these things are a direct result of it. Also, conservatives need to quit pissing and moaning about how they're being left behind and ignored. That was bulls#!t before and it still is. They have more than their share of a voice in every single aspect of national politics.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

How fitting that the party that chose for years and years to coddle these types with a nod & a wink to ensure their vote is now threatened by them. 

Not all that much changed. It's just that now the racists are out of the woodwork & more comfortable openly wearing the banner of Trump's GOP. They're not going to be subtle with their messaging like the old guard; they're going to be themselves. The chickens have come home to roost and people finally realize what's going on. 

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Clifford Franklin said:

How fitting that the party that chose for years and years to coddle these types with a nod & a wink to ensure their vote is now threatened by them. 

Not all that much changed. It's just that now the racists are out of the woodwork & more comfortable openly wearing the banner of Trump's GOP. They're not going to be subtle with their messaging like the old guard; they're going to be themselves. The chickens have come home to roost and people finally realize what's going on. 

I agree.

Look at how the Republicans don't have a problem with Steve King from Iowa being in office.  It's clear he fits right in with the people mentioned in this article.  However, he wasn't as blatant about it when he first was running.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

That's what bothers me about Steve Schmidt and a slew of other former Republicans who claim "this isn't the party I joined."

It's exactly the party you joined. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Fru said:

That's what bothers me about Steve Schmidt and a slew of other former Republicans who claim "this isn't the party I joined."

It's exactly the party you joined. 

To be clear, I don't think everyone in the party was guilty of this behavior. McCain admirably smacked one down during a rally in 2008 - that will always be one of my fondest memories of him - and I think Romney tried to play to our better angels.

But then Trump came and traded in the dogwhistle for a bullhorn. The party as a whole has been much too comfortable appealing to these types & it is finally backfiring on them in a way they can't control.