The Republican Utopia

18 hours ago, knapplc said:

Trent Lott was the Senate Majority Leader.

These are not fringe Republicans.  These are the leaders and recent leaders of today's Republican party.

My goodness.  How soon do we go from "A Good Child with a Gun" to   children terrorists.  This sounds every bit as bad as the Islamic Terrorists training kids to kill.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isis-uncovered/generation-isis-when-children-are-taught-be-terrorists-n812201

Abu Shahed first realized his 11-year-old son was being brainwashed by ISIS when he saw the fourth-grader's textbooks.

They were filled with images of "bombs, guns, machine guns, tanks, warplanes and other war symbols,” the father of four recalled.

The militant group's black flag also featured in materials given to children at the ISIS-run school that Abu Shahed's son was forced to attend after the militants captured the Syrian town of Al Bukamal in 2014.

“My son changed a lot at school and became very pro-ISIS,” said Abu Shahed, who now lives in Turkey with his family and like others interviewed by NBC News did not want to give his full name out of concern for relatives sill living in Syria.

“Me and my wife knew that we had a little spy at home," he said.

As ISIS continues to lose territory across Syria, families are grappling with the effect the militants’ education system has had on their children and the reality of what could be a generation of radicalized youngsters.

ISIS has invested heavily in ensuring that children become jihadis, in an attempt to outlive the impending collapse of its so-called caliphate, said Rachel Bryson, an expert in the radicalization of children under ISIS at the Tony Blair Institute for Global Change in London.

“ISIS’ central command hope that the children educated within their caliphate will carry on Baghdadi’s vision,” she said, referring to the ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

• Plus1 1
On 7/9/2018 at 9:51 AM, Fru said:

That's what bothers me about Steve Schmidt and a slew of other former Republicans who claim "this isn't the party I joined."

It's exactly the party you joined. 

I disagree.  I was a Republican for quite a while.  However, I saw the shift happening in real time and left the Republican party about 8 years ago.

Historically it was southern Democrats who were the slave owners, creators of Jim Crow laws and segregation.  Historically, democrats were the nazis, white nationalists, and racist piles of excrement.  It wasn't until about 10 years ago that party affiliation began to shift.  Some were just a little slow to see the change happening, or were in denial.  

But no...the Republican party of today IS NOT the Republican Party I was a part of and believed in.  The (Rs) of today are a disgrace.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I disagree.  I was a Republican for quite a while.  However, I saw the shift happening in real time and left the Republican party about 8 years ago.

Historically it was southern Democrats who were the slave owners, creators of Jim Crow laws and segregation.  Historically, democrats were the nazis, white nationalists, and racist piles of excrement.  It wasn't until about 10 years ago that party affiliation began to shift.  Some were just a little slow to see the change happening, or were in denial.  

But no...the Republican party of today IS NOT the Republican Party I was a part of and believed in.  The (Rs) of today are a disgrace.

Ummm... the history of the Civil Rights movement disagrees with you.

And the signs were there going back to at least the 1990's when I too left the Republican Party.

• Plus1 4

9 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Yes, and what party did the Dixie-crats go running to?

Are you saying Republicans only embraced racism 8 years ago? I'll refer you to the Lee Atwater quote above that has outlined the GOP strategy of using dog whistle racist rhetoric for decades. 

9 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Historically it was southern Democrats who were the slave owners, creators of Jim Crow laws and segregation.  Historically, democrats were the nazis, white nationalists, and racist piles of excrement.  It wasn't until about 10 years ago that party affiliation began to shift. 

I'm no mathemagician, but I believe 1964 was more than 10 years ago.

The republicans being the party of Abraham Lincoln was a loooooooong time ago. After the Civil Rights Act, the GOP became the party of Barry Goldwater, Strom Thurmond, and Richard Nixon, culminating in the de-evolution that we are witnessing now.

• Plus1 4

Dean G. Skelos, once one of the most powerful political figures in New York State, was found guilty of bribery, extortion and conspiracy on Tuesday, marking the fourth time in five months that a major federal case targeting corruption in Albany has ended in a conviction.

The jury in Federal District Court in Manhattan deliberated for three days before finding Mr. Skelos and his son, Adam, guilty; prosecutors said the elder Mr. Skelos, the former leader of the State Senate’s Republican majority, had wielded his political clout to pressure business executives to send his son around $300,000 for a patchwork of no-show or low-show jobs.

5 hours ago, Ulty said:

I'm no mathemagician, but I believe 1964 was more than 10 years ago.

The republicans being the party of Abraham Lincoln was a loooooooong time ago. After the Civil Rights Act, the GOP became the party of Barry Goldwater, Strom Thurmond, and Richard Nixon, culminating in the de-evolution that we are witnessing now.

Yes.  So my timeline is off, that doesn't make what I said entirely wrong.  Point is, it was (and it is today) southern Democrats who decided to rebrand themselves as Republicans.  When that happened en masse that's when it really became noticeable.  But yes, today the Republican party is nothing more than a racist, white nationalist, pooh show.