The Republican Utopia

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Well, we just used a poll that you feel comfortable with, which has a heavy Con bias.  Look at other polls, where Trump sits in the low 40s to upper 30s. 

You can't only ever look at the most friendly polling data.  You get a skewed perspective (shocking, I know) doing that.  That's why I follow 538, Rasmussen, Gallup & Pew on twitter.  Looking at all of them, I see that Rasmussen consistently asks questions framed to make Trump look as good as possible, and thus has skewed data.  They have a poor rating.

Here's another set of polls. Trump is down in every single state.  Every one.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-trumps-popularity-is-holding-up-by-state/

Again you are using a reference from 4 months ago. With the 24 hour news cycle a lot changes in a short period of time. Moreover, many of the other polls you prefer to use had Trumps approaval in the upper 30s and low 40s on election day 2016 and guess what...he still won!

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Any yet another source from October 2018 showing manufacturing confidence at all time highs. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonexaminer.com/business/manufacturing-confidence-nears-all-time-high-despite-workforce-shortage%3f_amp=true

Despite being told the US manufacturing sector could not come back, Trump is making it happen..

You do know that US manufacturing is the largest in the world, right?  Even without Trump doing a thing?

7 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Here is the final RCP polls taken before election day.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president/clintontrumpfavorability.html

Feel free to cherry pick the data to align with your predetermined conclusion that Trump is less supported now.

I think one major piece about poll discussion is being overlooked.

No president from FDR to now, except 1, has had a highest approval rating of under 50%.  That one is Trump.  

Only one has had an average of under 45%.  That one is Trump

You're literally arguing about how beautiful something ugly looks.  

• Plus1 4
13 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Here is the final RCP polls taken before election day. 

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president/clintontrumpfavorability.html

Feel free to cherry pick the data to align with your predetermined conclusion that Trump is less supported now.

Yeah. That shows a pretty accurate polling of the population.  What are you saying is wrong here? 

Clinton owned an advantage, on average, of 41.8% favorable to Trump's 37.5% favorable.  About 3.5% difference.

Clinton won 62,980,160 votes to Trump's 62,980,160, meaning Clinton won 49% of the vote and Trump won 47%, about 2% difference.

Each one of those polls had a margin of error, some between 4-5%, some between 2-3%. So the final outcome was pretty close to the polling data.

What are you claiming this is evidence of?

Edited by knapplc
To further clarify the numbers
  • Plus1 1
11 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Trump is a street fighter,

I'm so tired of hearing this.  The guy is an immature imbecile that when he gets insulted, he starts calling people grade school names that make all of his Trumpster supporters stand up and cheer.  The guy is an absolute disgrace and embarrassment.....and a pathological lier who even brags about making up crap when speaking to our biggest allies. 

As for campaign season, all politicians go in attack mode. 

He has never left "campaign season".  That's literally all the guy does...including the spectacle at the White House last night.

• Plus1 5

However, I think he is also a transactional POTUS like Clinton was, and the prime example was with the immigration debate in which he told both sides to work something out and send him something and he would likely approve it.  Remember his willingness to cave on DACA despite the frustration from the Right?  He wanted to get a deal done.  

So....you're using an example of where he has never flinched on his demand that we build and fund a wall.  A wall....remember....that Mexico is supposed to pay for.

What a total waste of tax payer's money.  So much for fiscal conservatism.  

He also has constantly lied about immigrants and demonized an entire race of people....to appease the most racist parts of his base.

Edit:

And...speaking of the DACA issue.  There was no need to do anything with DACA until he came into office and canceled the program.  Then...all of a sudden...he starts proclaiming that the Democrats don't care about them and won't do anything to save the people in DACA.  What a complete fraud.

• Plus1 5

On 10/7/2018 at 7:40 PM, HuskerNation1 said:

Do I believe everything Trump or any politician says?  No.

You shouldn't believe pretty much anything out of the guy's mouth....or his twitter feed.

Remember when he got his Trumpsters all lathered up when he looked at Hillary and promised that when he came into office, he was going to prosecute her and "LOCK HER UP".

Then....almost immediately, after getting into office, he made an about face?

The guy is a fraud and is playing to the absolute worst parts of our society to gain power.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Citing one company from 2017 does not speak to the macro manufacturing boom we are now witnessing. Here is just one of many recent articles discussing the Trump manufacturing boom.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-trump-blue-collar-job-boom-20180910-story,amp.html

Manufacturing confidence is higher now than it has been in a long long time. 

You're missing the forest for the trees. These are things Trump has personally bragged about, and yet the reality is that they aren't what he touts them too be. One person is quoted in the article I linked as saying Trump came in and "blew smoke up their butt".

A few key things from the article you listed, just to add some perspective:

The biggest drivers of the blue-collar hiring surge are the rebound in oil prices, the need to rebuild after disasters such as Hurricanes Irma and Harvey, and rising demand generated by a growing economy.

Oil prices steadily rose under Bush (not entirely his fault, see Katrina), and then came down significantly under Obama. Thanks in large part to him continuing a Bush policy of producing more oil domestically. Trump simply hasn't done anything to dramatically change the trend (although prices are on the rise). In the same vein, economic recovery and growth is a continuation of the previous 8 years. A pretty solid foundation was laid under the previous administration. It took time, and was shakey for awhile, but it's the reason we can see the gains we do today.

Only 13.9 percent of workers are employed in blue-collar professions, versus 15 percent in government and 71.1 percent in the service sector. But "muscle jobs" still play an outsized role in some communities.

That's a pretty important thing to remember. These "blue-collar" jobs make up a small fraction of the total employment pool. I'm glad they are seeing significant growth, but they live and die in boom and bust cycles... We need steady growth for stability. If you really want to bring back these manual labor jobs, why don't we focus on rebuilding our infastructure? The amount of work that needs to be done on roads, bridges, power grids, etc. is extraordinary, and could employees hundreds of thousands for years.

3 minutes ago, ZRod said:

That's a pretty important thing to remember. These "blue-collar" jobs make up a small fraction of the total employment pool. I'm glad they are seeing significant growth, but they live and die in boom and bust cycles... We need steady growth for stability.

This is a big issue with me.

Slow and steady growth is good.  We have been in a 9 year growth cycle and a steady growth in jobs, drop in unemployment, increase in confidence, And.....over time, that naturally will see a difference in people's paychecks....and we are seeing that now.

We didn't NEED a completely upheaval in our economy, trade agreements....etc. 

Slow and steady is good.  What goes up fast.....will eventually come DOWN fast.  People are celebrating now.  I'm very concerned about what is coming.

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

You're missing the forest for the trees. These are things Trump has personally bragged about, and yet the real I it is that they aren't what he touts them too be. One person is quoted in the article I linked as saying Trump came in and "blew smoke up their butt".

A few key things from the article you listed, just to add some perspective:

Oil prices steadily rose under Bush (not entirely his fault, see Katrina), and then came down significantly under Obama. Thanks in large part to him continuing a Bush policy of producing more oil domestically. Trump simply hasn't done anything to dramatically change the trend (although prices are on the rise). In the same vein, economic recovery and growth is a continuation of the previous 8 years. A pretty solid foundation was laid under the previous administration. It took time, and was shakey for awhile, but it's the reason we can see the gains we do today.

That's a pretty important thing to remember. These "blue-collar" jobs make up a small fraction of the total employment pool. I'm glad they are seeing significant growth, but they live and die in boom and bust cycles... We need steady growth for stability.

Good luck convincing the other side that this is true. Obummer was the worst president ever, dontchaknow? The only good thing he did was create the need for the greatest president ever, Lord Donald J. Trump.

So backwards.  Not that Obama was the grestest president. But man its so backwards.

• Plus1 1

However, I think he is also a transactional POTUS like Clinton was, and the prime example was with the immigration debate in which he told both sides to work something out and send him something and he would likely approve it.  Remember his willingness to cave on DACA despite the frustration from the Right?  He wanted to get a deal done.  

Speaking of trade issues.

Here's another example of why I have a problem with Trump and your quote above.

Supposedly (we haven't really seen anything yet), we are on the cusp of a new NAFTA.  I actually support a few changes in the new deal.  See?  I can say good things about what is going on.

Problem????  These are extremely minor changes in the grand scheme of things.  If what has been reported is signed, we will have almost the exact same agreement with a few bench marks tweaked a little.

So...Why the F*** do we need to do this by totally disrupting everything?  The Ag markets are in the tank because of this at over 10 year lows in both corn and soybeans.  You know what happened in those markets when the new NAFTA was announced?  Pretty much nothing.  Why???  Because people are getting worn out and tired of the bluster from the White House with nothing of real substance to stand on.

Sure...I guess, to your point above, he caved to Mexico and Canada.  Problem??? We never needed to be in this situation in the first place.

But...hey...according to him....it's the most amazing trade deal in the history of the world.

• Plus1 3