The Republican Utopia

Perhaps the Republicans you know, but I'd wager you only know a few.

I know at least 1,000 of them. The overwhelming majority of my family members, my high school and college peers are all Republicans.

I'd be willing to bet if you polled 1,000 Trump voters, a majority would say yes to most, if not all those points.

A Trump supporter and a Republican aren't the same thing. There is overlap, but they have different definitions.

You have almost no idea just how much hatred for non-whites, non-Christians, LBGTQIA, etc there truly is out there. I see this stuff every day.

I am white, Christian, and hetero and cis-gendered, so I haven't lived under the heel of that boot, but I do have an idea. I spend time with my Muslim and black friends and ask about their life experiences. I march in Pride parades. I volunteer on the south side of Chicago. Do not continue to presume to know about me, the same way you presume to know about all Republicans.

NOTE: I should have qualified what I said above to mean members of Congress, both the House and Senate.

Why should you have done that when you very obviously didn't mean that?

Okay, here goes:

NOTE: I should have initially qualified what I said here to mean members of Congress, both the House and Senate.

The Republican Utopia

​* "Dangerous" non-whites are completely removed from America.

Black people are exterminated out-right.

​Brown people are killed and/or rounded up and shipped back to their country of origin.

* Non-christians are either forced to convert or are jailed or killed.

* People who are gay, transgender, queer, non-binary, etc are forced to become straight or are killed.

* No minimum wage. It'll be completely up to corporations and companies what to pay their employees.

* No ethics committees to oversee them and make it impossible to get any information on what they do.

* Remove all regulations governing safety of employees, abolish vacation time, over-time pay.

* Legalize discrimination against anyone non-white and non-Christian and call it "religious freedom."

* Deny people of non-Christian faiths the right to practice their religion. (Mostly this refers to Islam.)

* Abolish science as a subject taught in schools and completely forbid teaching evolution.

* Make studying the bible, praying in public schools, and teaching creationism a part of the core learning.

* Outlaw protests against them and make obtaining permits for any protest nearly impossible to get.

* Revoke citizenship or jail anyone who burns the American flag.

I'm sure there are more, but those are what I can think of, off the top of my head because those subjects have all come up recently.

While Chimichangas tends to get a bit extreme when he throws around claims like these, there are kernels of truth in what he's saying. I boded what I consider to be goals of most and/or influential Republicans at the moment.

As seen in the Denying Science thread, several predominantly conservative state legislatures have pushed to supplant evolution with creationism in classrooms. DeVos has talked about charter schools as a way of advancing God's kingdom, and she's our Secretary of Ed.

We've also seen several anti-protest bills pop up lately, some going as far as protecting motorists who mow down and kill a protestor, given that it was accidental.

We all know how most GOP politicians feel about burning the flag.

They've made attacks and attempted to legislate out of being important ethics committees meant to hold them accountable on the federal level, and South Dakota recently abolished an anti-corruption measure.

Most Republican politicians I've heard talk seem to not mind paring as many regulations as possible to the benefit of corporations and businesses. While this could be a positive for small business owners, it could be a disaster for our environment and the average workers themselves, depending on how far they push the paradigm in the corporate direction.

Honestly, I don't think most of them would mind if we exist in a largely unregulated corporatist state.

And while they certainly don't want to out and out exterminate minorities, they certainly don't fight as hard for people who aren't in the in-group. I see a lot less constructive policies aimed at addressing minorities and a lot more kowtowing to White America. Just yesterday I was reading about a bill from Tom Cotton aimed at halving our LEGAL immigration.

Just my .02 trying to generate some more moderated versions of what he was saying. I feel this is a lot more true to life.

That's why we called CM's description of "Republicans" a caricature. It took some kernals of truth and exaggerated them to extremes.

Sure, it vaguely resembles some known Republican positions, but as a statement of fact it's worthless.

cm or MC?
  • Fire 1

"The bottom line is, it was long overdue with [Warren]," [Lindsey Graham] said. "I mean, she is clearly running for the nomination in 2020."

Ya. I imagine he'd like it if she'd sit in the corner like a good girl and do what she's told.

There are 20 female senators and one isn't allowed to speak on the AG nominee.

• Fire 1

Man, I really vacillate on guys like Graham and McCain.

I start to feel like they're on our side because they don't pull punches with Russia and appear to have clear eyes and full hearts on Putin.

Then they go and say something ridiculous like that or do something stupid like vote for DeVos.

Can't win 'em all I guess. Got to take strange bedfellows where you can get them.

• Fire 1

Okay, here goes:

NOTE: I should have initially qualified what I said here to mean members of Congress, both the House and Senate.

The Republican Utopia

​Brown people are killed and/or rounded up and shipped back to their country of origin.

* People who are gay, transgender, queer, non-binary, etc are forced to become straight or are killed.

* No minimum wage. It'll be completely up to corporations and companies what to pay their employees.

* No ethics committees to oversee them and make it impossible to get any information on what they do.

* Remove all regulations governing safety of employees, abolish vacation time, over-time pay.

* Legalize discrimination against anyone non-white and non-Christian and call it "religious freedom."

* Deny people of non-Christian faiths the right to practice their religion. (Mostly this refers to Islam.)

* Abolish science as a subject taught in schools and completely forbid teaching evolution.

* Make studying the bible, praying in public schools, and teaching creationism a part of the core learning.

* Outlaw protests against them and make obtaining permits for any protest nearly impossible to get.

I'm sure there are more, but those are what I can think of, off the top of my head because those subjects have all come up recently.

OK, so you've tried to qualify this caricature (twice) by saying it refers to members of Congress, but you ruined that attempt with this line:

I do not know where you live, but where I live, I hear stuff like this (from regrettably, family members who voted for Trump) and others almost on a weekly basis.

Which is it? Do you hear stuff like this where you live "almost on a weekly basis" or just from Congress?

Nobody anywhere knows real, down-to-earth Republicans who think like this. Either be real or kindly don't post stuff like this again. :D

It means I am trying to give rank and file Republicans the benefit of the doubt, but it is really difficult given the Republicans I know.

I know that's somewhat contradictory. Work with me here. I'm trying to be less angry.

Okay, here goes:

The Republican Utopia

While Chimichangas tends to get a bit extreme when he throws around claims like these, there are kernels of truth in what he's saying. I boded what I consider to be goals of most and/or influential Republicans at the moment.

As seen in the Denying Science thread, several predominantly conservative state legislatures have pushed to supplant evolution with creationism in classrooms. DeVos has talked about charter schools as a way of advancing God's kingdom, and she's our Secretary of Ed.

We've also seen several anti-protest bills pop up lately, some going as far as protecting motorists who mow down and kill a protestor, given that it was accidental.

They've made attacks and attempted to legislate out of being important ethics committees meant to hold them accountable on the federal level, and South Dakota recently abolished an anti-corruption measure.

Most Republican politicians I've heard talk seem to not mind paring as many regulations as possible to the benefit of corporations and businesses. While this could be a positive for small business owners, it could be a disaster for our environment and the average workers themselves, depending on how far they push the paradigm in the corporate direction.

Honestly, I don't think most of them would mind if we exist in a largely unregulated corporatist state.

And while they certainly don't want to out and out exterminate minorities, they certainly don't fight as hard for people who aren't in the in-group. I see a lot less constructive policies aimed at addressing minorities and a lot more kowtowing to White America. Just yesterday I was reading about a bill from Tom Cotton aimed at halving our LEGAL immigration.

Just my .02 trying to generate some more moderated versions of what he was saying. I feel this is a lot more true to life.

That's the kick in the crotch. What I said wasn't extreme. What I said, everything, has been articulated by various Republicans over the years. The difference between then and now, is that now, they have such a strong majority in both houses of Congress, and control of the Presidency, that they can now actually start advancing and passing all this legislation. And with such a small Democratic minority, who's going to stop them? They can literally pass any law they want. And if Trump gets to fill 2 SCOTUS seats, with judges who look to the bible to figure out what the law is, these are nominations that could literally roll back civil rights to what they were in 1850. This is it, people. We're in the dystopian future right now.

Okay, here goes:

The Republican Utopia

Well...I'm conservative and at one time was a Republican. I believe the Republican party has lost it's way and isn't something I can vote for.

But...your post is out in la la land on the subject.

This would be akin to me claiming Obama is Muslim and wants install Sharia law in the US and Democrats have been planning this for 40 years when they first brought him from Kenya as a child prodigy to ultimately destroy America.

Except, there are stories from CNN and other sites where Republicans are actually talking about doing many of the things I mentioned.

Getting rid of minimum wage: http://uspolitics.about.com/od/economy/tp/5-Members-of-Congress-Who-Would-Abolish-the-Minimum-Wage.htm

Legalizing religious based discrimination: https://www.texastribune.org/2016/02/17/senate-republicans-zeroing-religious-freedom-bills/

Teaching creationism in schools: http://forwardprogressives.com/idaho-republicans-pushing-bill-allow-creationism-taught-science-classes/

Outlawing peaceful protests: http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/trump_era_republicans_push_new_laws_to_chill_protest_nationwide_20170119

Burn the American flag, go to jail: http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/29/politics/donald-trump-flag-burning-penalty-proposal/index.html

Kill gays: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/05/19/mississippi-2/

And with each link I provided, there are countless more which demonstrate very clearly the INTENT of many republicans both elected and rank and file.

Now granted, you may not be that type of extremist.

But would you stand up and tell these Republicans spouting such hate on all these topics that he/she/they are wrong? I rather doubt it.

And my fear is that truly good Republicans, who aren't hate mongers, bigots, and/or bible thumpers, will stand idly by and say/do nothing as they let extremists carry out these atrocities.

Okay, here goes:

The Republican Utopia

That's the kick in the crotch. What I said wasn't extreme. What I said, everything, has been articulated by various Republicans over the years. The difference between then and now, is that now, they have such a strong majority in both houses of Congress, and control of the Presidency, that they can now actually start advancing and passing all this legislation. And with such a small Democratic minority, who's going to stop them? They can literally pass any law they want. And if Trump gets to fill 2 SCOTUS seats, with judges who look to the bible to figure out what the law is, these are nominations that could literally roll back civil rights to what they were in 1850. This is it, people. We're in the dystopian future right now.

There have always been those who push for the most extreme version of a given policy. Think healthcare. Right now, for the Democrats, a public option may be a popular rallying cry. That's still less extreme than say, Bernie's full blown single-payer Medicare for All. Or gun control. There are those who want sensible gun control policies. There are those who want to ban guns outright. And going in the other direction, there are those who would legalize RPGs and LMGs for the public tomorrow if they could.

I think the point the others were making is that most Republicans would say they don't support those things. The extremists almost always find themselves in such thin company that they almost never have the numbers to push through radical policy.

If they do, there's usually pushback rather quickly. Think about how quickly people grew unhappy with the NSA spying program, or the backlash to the Muslim ban. Eventually people that push such policies pay the price at the ballot box. Look how quickly Pence or McCrory's approval ratings dropped in IN or NC when they passed religious liberty laws.

That said, I share your skepticism of the current GOP. Here is a piece you may like that argues that Trump is not the ultimate threat - it is the GOP that needs to actually do their job and act as a check instead of a meek rubber stamp.

Almost everything Trump can do through EOs or even legislation the GOP passes can be undone, if it is bad enough. I'm much more concerned with the Supreme Court, as you are. If he gets Gorusch and can replace a retiring liberal justice with another conservative, the balance of the court will be wrecked for a generation. That will be very, very detrimental to non-conservative policy.

That's the kick in the crotch. What I said wasn't extreme. What I said, everything, has been articulated by various Republicans over the years.

Some Republican leaders and politicians support or want some of those things. Some others want others. No, that isn't extreme.

What is extreme, and is what you did, is implying that all Republicans want all of those things. Forget being in the ballpark of that being accurate - that's not even playing the same sport.

Granting that a number of the items seem to almost border on hysteria, I do wonder how much longer those "other Republicans" can get to claim to be on one side while nonetheless finding ways to condone, permit, or prop up the Bannon crowd.

I mean:

House Republicans blocked a Democratic effort to vote on a resolution slamming the White House for its International Holocaust Remembrance Day statement that did not specifically mention Jews.

http://www.jta.org/2017/02/08/news-opinion/united-states/republicans-block-house-vote-on-resolution-slamming-white-house-holocaust-statement

(I'm not sure what the source is; I just tried finding how many Republicans came out in condemnation of the WH statement that completely washed out the overt and specifically anti-Semitic nature of the Holocaust).