The Republican Utopia

8 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

If Trump is as rich as he says he is couldn't he just pay for the wall himself?

Oh man, can you imagine the Hitler/Stalin comparisons if he did personally fund the wall?? "He is so racist that he basically funded the entire thing himself!! Blahhh!"

I'm not sure of how much free cash flow Trump (or anyone) has sitting in their bank account, but it would be cool if he donated his Presidential income toward the Go Fund Me thing for a month or two.

6 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Lindsey Graham: "If we undercut the president, that’s the end of his presidency and the end of our party."

If standing up to Trump means it's the end of the party, maybe the party should end.

IMO, the end of their party occurred in 2016 when they allowed him to hijack the party and toss all of their supposed values out the window. It is a slow, kicking-and-screaming end that will hurt everyone along the way, but the eventual end nonetheless.

• Plus1 1

I think the issue with the wall is more about who is funding it. It doesn't matter if Mexico pays for it, or the taxpayers. There are other principles at stake, such as the idea of this wall being irrational and ineffective, a symbol of fear-mongering and racism, and the fight over it being so childish and unpresidential.

If it was really about funding, finding $5 billion for a pet project is not that big of a deal in the whole scheme of things for an annual budget that tops $4 Trillion.

• Plus1 2

"Speaker (Nancy) Pelosi's refusal to negotiate on funding for a border wall/barrier -- even if the government were to be reopened -- virtually ends the congressional path to funding for a border wall/barrier," Graham said in a statement. "It is time for President Trump to use emergency powers to fund the construction of a border wall/barrier."

I think Graham is worse than Trump for enabling him. Emergency funds should be used for emergencies. People with lower crime rates in America than Americans are not an emergency. They may not even be a negative.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

"Speaker (Nancy) Pelosi's refusal to negotiate on funding for a border wall/barrier -- even if the government were to be reopened -- virtually ends the congressional path to funding for a border wall/barrier," Graham said in a statement. "It is time for President Trump to use emergency powers to fund the construction of a border wall/barrier."

I think Graham is worse than Trump for enabling him. Emergency funds should be used for emergencies. People with lower crime rates in America than Americans are not an emergency. They may not even be a negative.

WTF?!?

Hey Graham, the Senate voted 100-0 to fund the budget and not the wall.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

What is wrong with Iowa?

I lived in his district growing up. He’s only really been super open with his views for the past couple election cycles... gee, I wonder what changed? Anywho, I’ll tell you that district is overwhelmingly rural and white and cultural conservatism runs deep in that neck of the woods. To the point of a lot of them don’t hear about or outright look the other way at his awful views and vote for the R.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I lived in his district growing up. He’s only really been super open with his views for the past couple election cycles... gee, I wonder what changed? Anywho, I’ll tell you that district is overwhelmingly rural and white and cultural conservatism runs deep in that neck of the woods. To the point of a lot of them don’t hear about or outright look the other way at his awful views and vote for the R.

I currently live in this district and in a rural community. Your points are spot on. This is a place where people still openly drop racial slurs and talk about minorities like they are the plague without any backlash. I’ve lived in many rural areas throughout the Midwest.  This is by far the most pro-trump/racist I have ever been around.