The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Let me get this straight. 

Putin hacked the server to help him win. Now he thinks the republicans should be able to just look at the server from the DNC. 

here’s an idea, ask your BFF in Russia what’s on it. 

That was so nuts I didn’t even know he was talking about the DNC server. I thought he was talking about a server at a restaurant.

It's gone beyond issues of accountability, Democracy, verifiable facts, and our supposedly precious U.S. Constitution.

It's a culture war, and it only works in black or white.  It's a zero sum game with millions of lives and dollars invested. 

So for core supporters to admit that Trump was a mistake is to french kiss Hillary Clinton in a transgender bathroom. 

I'm kinda not kidding. 

• Plus1 3
24 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's gone beyond issues of accountability, Democracy, verifiable facts, and our supposedly precious U.S. Constitution.

It's a culture war, and it only works in black or white.  It's a zero sum game with millions of lives and dollars invested. 

So for core supporters to admit that Trump was a mistake is to french kiss Hillary Clinton in a transgender bathroom. 

I'm kinda not kidding. 

Yep.  This is why Trump's campaign can make so much money on something as stupid as plastic straws.

It makes me nervous where this will eventually take us.  

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Another glorious moment in the GOP's race war.

A section from the article is copied below that digs deeper.  Some basic facts:  the guy has been here since age 3, he served in the military - not pushing papers but 2 tours of Iraq.  He suffered a brain injury.  He self-medicates wt alcohol and commits crimes and was sentenced to jail.  The govt failed to provide adequate care for him after he was discharged per his family.

To me 3 things standout:  1.  He's been here since age 3.    2. He is an honorable discharged vet.   With these 2 alone I have to pause and think we are abandoning those who have 'proven' their citizenship by serving.  

3. The govt has some responsibility to take care of those who serve. He is responsible for the crimes, but based on the story, those crimes appear to be linked to PTSD after serving.   There needs to be some accountability here. Don't abandon those who fought wars on our behalf and take responsibility for post war issues that affect those who serve.  This is like abandoning the KURDS but in a more personal up close way - we are abandoning one who has proven to be one of our own.  Someone once said that 'Bad theology is a hard task master."  The same is true of bad policy whereby we live by the letter of the law and not the spirit - causing us to abandon, run over and damage others to preserve our ideologically pure policy.    I hope the last sentence in the quote below doesn't play out in this case.

Segovia-Benitez served two tours in Iraq before he was honorably discharged in 2004, a year after he suffered a brain injury. The veteran also received a number of decorations for his service during his time in the military, according to NBC News.

But after he was discharged from the military, Segovia-Benitez began to self-medicate with alcohol, his family said, which led to trouble with authorities. He ended up serving time in prison for a variety of crimes, including assault with a deadly weapon and injuring a spouse, for which he received an eight-year prison sentence. 

Segovia-Benitez’s family members have said that while they do not condone his criminal actions, they believe the government failed to provide adequate care for him after he was discharged.

Brandee Dudzic, executive director of the group Repatriate our Patriots, told ABC News that Segovia-Benitez wasn’t diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder until 2011, seven years after he was discharged from the military. 

His lawyer told the Phoenix New Times that his team is still working on his case and hopes “that ICE will correct this problem and allow him to come back to fight his case.”

"What would certainly be horrible would be if he were kidnapped or killed in El Salvador before that,” Petty said while expressing concern that Segovia-Benitez, who doesn’t speak Spanish fluently, could be targeted in El Salvador.

"Gangs target former U.S. military," he told the paper. "They'll kidnap a person, they may hold a person for ransom, they may torture an individual."

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

A section from the article is copied below that digs deeper.  Some basic facts:  the guy has been here since age 3, he served in the military - not pushing papers but 2 tours of Iraq.  He suffered a brain injury.  He self-medicates wt alcohol and commits crimes and was sentenced to jail.  The govt failed to provide adequate care for him after he was discharged per his family.

To me 3 things standout:  1.  He's been here since age 3.    2. He is an honorable discharged vet.   With these 2 alone I have to pause and think we are abandoning those who have 'proven' their citizenship by serving.  

3. The govt has some responsibility to take care of those who serve. He is responsible for the crimes, but based on the story, those crimes appear to be linked to PTSD after serving.   There needs to be some accountability here. Don't abandon those who fought wars on our behalf and take responsibility for post far issues that affect those who serve.  This is like abandoning the KURDS but in a more personal up close way - we are abandoning one who has proven to be one of our own.  Someone once said that 'Bad theology is a hard task master."  The same is true of bad policy whereby we live by the letter of the law and not the spirit - causing us to abandon, run over and damage others to preserve our ideologically pure policy.    I hope the last sentence in the quote below doesn't play out in this case.

Yeah, I saw all that about his criminal past and the brain injury. It seems like they don't want to take care of a Veteran who has served honorably, so they're grasping at the loophole that he never completed citizenship paperwork and exiling him to a country he's never been to for all practical purposes.

Frankly, this is monstrous, and only the shadiest kind of person would think this is justified.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Yeah, I saw all that about his criminal past and the brain injury. It seems like they don't want to take care of a Veteran who has served honorably, so they're grasping at the loophole that he never completed citizenship paperwork and exiling him to a country he's never been to for all practical purposes.

Frankly, this is monstrous, and only the shadiest kind of person would think this is justified.

Agreed.  Imagine any of us -  we''ve lived our whole life in the USA,  we get rounded up by ICE, we are then sent to a country --- we get sent to the airport in Romania and we are told to 'survive'.  and by the way - avoid the thugs that will come after you because you aren't from Romania.     Good Lord (and I mean that literally - the Lord is good and He expects us to walk in Justice, Mercy and Humility- Micah 6:8) - if this is what it means to vote GOP, I won't have any of it.  If we are to choose either a hard nose boarder stance or treating the 'strangers among us' (non-citizens) with mercy and justice, I'm going to stand with the Biblical and ethical standard of mercy and justice.  And this person was not a stranger among us - he was one of us- unofficially but most assuredly one of us by commitment, service and longevity of life here.  You know we have common law marriages - maybe we need common law citizenship. That may be the Dreamer act but it makes no sense to treat long term residents as 'aliens' .  Maybe I'm getting more sensitive as I age or maybe it is hearing God's heart in this - mercy and justice should be the rule of thumb.  This deportation shows none of it.   My God - I think I'm becoming a Democrat!! :ahhhhhhhh:D