The Republican Utopia

9 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Republicanism is a hell of a drug.

Not really surprising if you think about it.  There is a sizable chunk of Republicans that proudly wave the Confederate Battle Flag.  Does it really say that much if they Think Trump is a better President than one they supported a war against?

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Care to tell us what you think a "sizeable chunk" is? I live in Hillbilly country, and I can't tell you the last time I seen a Confederate flag.

It was a tongue in cheek comment.  But if we want to discuss it, “waving” was probably not the correct term.  

But I would be very confident in saying at least 25%-50% of GOP voters don’t view the flag negatively.  

As far as “not seeing them”, I live in West Omaha and could walk you to 2 houses that display them and a handful of trucks in our school parking lot with stickers in the window.   

2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Care to tell us what you think a "sizeable chunk" is? I live in Hillbilly country, and I can't tell you the last time I seen a Confederate flag.

Really? I see at least one daily in Biloxi, MS and no I'm not talking about the one that is on their state flag

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

It was a tongue in cheek comment.  But if we want to discuss it, “waving” was probably not the correct term.  

But I would be very confident in saying at least 25%-50% of GOP voters don’t view the flag negatively.  

As far as “not seeing them”, I live in West Omaha and could walk you to 2 houses that display them and a handful of trucks in our school parking lot with stickers in the window.   

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I live in Lincoln and I saw one last week.

Lincoln, and Omaha are two pretty big cities.... Also, not viewing it negatively, and putting it on display are two very different things.

From my point of view it's pretty simple. It's an enemy flag. The only part of the whole "Confederate flag" thing I took any kind of issue with was when they started removing statues. The statues displayed were often of people who were from, and fought for the states they're displayed in....And when saying I took issue is probably overstating it some. What I mean is, if it was up to me in some bizarro (to borrow a Bo Pelini reference) world to leave them, or take them down, I would of left them.

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Really? I see at least one daily in Biloxi, MS and no I'm not talking about the one that is on their state flag

Well, my god.... It's Mississippi, I'd hope you'd see one!

I live in the Ozarks/Mark Twain area. It's pretty backwoods-y, and I honestly don't think I've seen one in a couple years, not since it was in the news a lot.... And even then, you might occasionally see some dumb s#!t with one hanging off the bed of his truck, but not many.

9 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

From my point of view it's pretty simple. It's an enemy flag. The only part of the whole "Confederate flag" thing I took any kind of issue with was when they started removing statues. The statues displayed were often of people who were from, and fought for the states they're displayed in....And when saying I took issue is probably overstating it some. What I mean is, if it was up to me in some bizarro (to borrow a Bo Pelini reference) world to leave them, or take them down, I would of left them.

So you don't know the history of those statues, when they were erected, or why.

That'd be a really good thing for you to research before giving them any kind of pass.

13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So you don't know the history of those statues, when they were erected, or why.

That'd be a really good thing for you to research before giving them any kind of pass.

I've read about them, and their correlation with Jim Crow. Like I said, it doesn't really bother me, or concern me that they're taken down. I just look at them as historical relics, but I understand that others see it differently

26 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I've read about them, and their correlation with Jim Crow. Like I said, it doesn't really bother me, or concern me that they're taken down. I just look at them as historical relics, but I understand that others see it differently

I view them that way too, and think they should be moved to a museum (if they weren't). 

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Well, my god.... It's Mississippi, I'd hope you'd see one!

I live in the Ozarks/Mark Twain area. It's pretty backwoods-y, and I honestly don't think I've seen one in a couple years, not since it was in the news a lot.... And even then, you might occasionally see some dumb s#!t with one hanging off the bed of his truck, but not many.

That's fair. Never saw one living in KC and we traveled Missouri a bit