The Republican Utopia

"Blame" is a harsh word. What are we going to do, haul BRI up in front of a tribunal and shine spotlights in his face?

The biggest thing I want those who voted for Trump to do is... not do it again. That's the end of the recrimination. We're not naming names, we're not blaming you. Just don't vote for that kind of candidate ever again. It looks like, from the last couple of days, BRI has swung around. I'm super happy with that.

I don't super appreciate being called out like that, especially when I wasn't part of that conversation, but what I've written above is the extent of that.

Knap - as a former HuskerBoard Mod: 1) Would it be a violation of the rules or a bannable offense if someone were to hope, out loud or via social media, for Russians to hack the forum to release the names of all those that voted for Trump? 2) Is there a virtual equivalent of the Spanish Inquisition on this forum that exists outside the woodshed?

I am asking for a friend, so...

"Blame" is a harsh word. What are we going to do, haul BRI up in front of a tribunal and shine spotlights in his face?

The biggest thing I want those who voted for Trump to do is... not do it again. That's the end of the recrimination. We're not naming names, we're not blaming you. Just don't vote for that kind of candidate ever again. It looks like, from the last couple of days, BRI has swung around. I'm super happy with that.

I don't super appreciate being called out like that, especially when I wasn't part of that conversation, but what I've written above is the extent of that.

Knap - as a former HuskerBoard Mod: 1) Would it be a violation of the rules or a bannable offense if someone were to hope, out loud or via social media, for Russians to hack the forum to release the names of all those that voted for Trump? 2) Is there a virtual equivalent of the Spanish Inquisition on this forum that exists outside the woodshed?

It would be a bannable offense to actually hack HuskerBoard. It would probably not be a bannable offense to recruit others (Russian, Anonymous, NSA, etc) to do that for you, but it is not recommended. Everything is handled on a case-by-case basis, and if the Mods in their collective wisdom determine you've crossed the line, it's adios muchacho.

I'm not sure about a virtual equivalent of the Spanish Inquisition outside the Shed. If it exists that would be... unexpected. :D

This is why I don't like one party being completely in control of anything.................good lord. :facepalm:

...didn't you vote for this?

This comment right here is the perfect example of what is wrong with this part of the board. Knapp, take note as we discussed this before.

Yes, I voted for Trump, I did not vote for republican control of every facet of our government. To assume I'm okay with this is an unfair assumption and pretty juvenile to say the least. Personally, I prefer to not have our government or our courts to lean conversative or liberal and this is a perfect example of that. DO NOT start trying to point the finger at me for this.

jt-yaaaassss.gif

It's day 5 of a 1,460 day term. It's a little early to start getting out the pitchforks and going after people who voted for him.

Right now, I don't like what I'm seeing. But, none of us know how this is going to turn out. I'm very skeptical right now....but......

I'm basically seeing it the complete opposite as you. It's ONLY day 5 and he's already shown his intentions to do more harm than anyone ever should in all 8 years of their 2 terms.

I think people are underestimating how harmful his comments on the illegal voting and media are. Just because you are smart and reasonable doesn't mean there aren't thousands/millions believing it all.

I bet there is some, such as your self, that feel the exact same way a lot us did 2008. Being told that the president is going too "fundamentally change the country" was unsettling at best. I know its hearsay now but it wasn't as bad as I had imagined.

I bet there is some, such as your self, that feel the exact same way a lot us did 2008. Being told that the president is going too "fundamentally change the country" was unsettling at best. I know its hearsay now but it wasn't as bad as I had imagined.

And I'm sure a LOT of people voted for Trump as the opposite of Obama. But the problem with this is, Obama never ran on a platform of fundamentally changing America. His 2008 platform was:

Obamacare

Medicaid expansion

Immigration reform

Repealing Don't Ask/Don't Tell

Closing Guantanamo

Ending the Iraq war

Reining in Wall Street

Repeal the Bush tax cuts

Two-state solution to the Israel/Palestine problem

Reforming Washington (which every president has run on since Washington)

He also promised to have the most open & transparent administration in history (which he failed at utterly) and promised to hold government to a higher ethical standard.

None of this is remotely like what Trump ran on. If you were afraid Obama was going to "fundamentally change the country" you were listening to his political opponents and not the man himself.

Trump, meanwhile, told you exactly what he was going to do. He's now doing it, and people are like, "This is what we felt like with Obama." But it's not close to the same comparison.

• Fire 5

Yeah, well, Obama's first week consisted of things like closing gitmo, banning torture, raising ethical standards in the White House through stricter lobbying policies, signing memorandas regarding energy independence and higher fuel efficiency, and signing the fair pay act.

So I'd say those of us feeling this now have about an infinitely more rational reason to do so than you ever did.

• Fire 1

It would be a bannable offense to actually hack HuskerBoard. It would probably not be a bannable offense to recruit others (Russian, Anonymous, NSA, etc) to do that for you, but it is not recommended. Everything is handled on a case-by-case basis, and if the Mods in their collective wisdom determine you've crossed the line, it's adios muchacho.

I'm not sure about a virtual equivalent of the Spanish Inquisition outside the Shed. If it exists that would be... unexpected. :D

I wasn't actually expecting a response as it was more tongue-in-cheek but thank you! :)

Somewhat seriously, I really do hope people that voted for a candidate AND are now somewhat disgusted by that continue to learn from it. Large scale, I just don't see that happening... One problem with Populism is that eventually we actually end up in the extreme case.

What did you imagine, out of curiosity, and why?

I figured the Bill of rights to be decimated i.e. speech, guns, due process etc., government control over personal property and the like. The rhetoric the dems were throwing with the help of main stream media and hollywood. It had seemed as if Obama was going to have carte blanche with his agenda, and the "right" could pound sand

And I'm sure a LOT of people voted for Trump as the opposite of Obama. But the problem with this is, Obama never ran on a platform of fundamentally changing America. His 2008 platform was:

• Fire 1

Yeah, well, Obama's first week consisted of things like closing gitmo, banning torture, raising ethical standards in the White House through stricter lobbying policies, signing memorandas regarding energy independence and higher fuel efficiency, and signing the fair pay act.

So I'd say those of us feeling this now have about an infinitely more rational reason to do so than you ever did.

He never closed gitmo...

I figured the Bill of rights to be decimated i.e. speech, guns, due process etc., government control over personal property and the like. The rhetoric the dems were throwing with the help of main stream media and hollywood. It had seemed as if Obama was going to have carte blanche with his agenda, and the "right" could pound sand

Wow, that's fascinating.

My own perspective was a "meh." I don't think I really grasped the significance of what had happened, and I was young and not particularly engaged in politics. I was glad Obama had won.

Looking back and knowing what I know now, it would have been a time of celebration. I had shrugged at so much of what had happened in the Bush era. I wonder if I would have contributed to the feeling of crazy rhetoric being thrown around.

I really can't see it being that crazy in retrospect, however. There were the bailouts early on, a path Bush had started on and which perhaps weren't aggressive enough under Obama either. The other major plank of his first term was healthcare. I understood it little at the time, but am now glad we at least tried to catch up with the rest of the developed world. Status quos can be so hard to change.

Of course, the irony is that today the threats directed at speech, etc, aren't even oblique. The rhetoric of the new administration through their campaign and ongoing is unprecedented from either party. Obama '08 is probably more comparable to Bush '00.

I recall the rhetoric over Obama/Dems & 2nd Amendment issues. Outside of massively unfounded propaganda, I do not recall anything Obama actually said in his campaign to justify his wanting to dismantle any of the other Amendments. What specifically made you believe the bolded?

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Speech, and the Press

Amendment 2 - The Right to Bear Arms

Amendment 3 - The Housing of Soldiers

Amendment 4 - Protection from Unreasonable Searches and Seizures

Amendment 5 - Protection of Rights to Life, Liberty, and Property

Amendment 6 - Rights of Accused Persons in Criminal Cases

Amendment 7 - Rights in Civil Cases

Amendment 8 - Excessive Bail, Fines, and Punishments Forbidden

Amendment 9 - Other Rights Kept by the People

Amendment 10 - Undelegated Powers Kept by the States and the People

• Fire 1