The Republican Utopia

21 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Bernie was a terrible messenger. He said the same things over and over in debates. Same spiel weve heard a million times. Did not explain his ideas so normal people could understand. 

Bernie wasn't the best but he wasn't terrible either. Part of his appeal was his consistency over decades, so people trusted him, even people who were opposed to him knew Bernie was going to do what he said. Having the same spiel over and over reinforced that consistency. I wish he'd some some things differently, but it might have undercut his image of consistency.

10 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Bernie wasn't the best but he wasn't terrible either. Part of his appeal was his consistency over decades, so people trusted him, even people who were opposed to him knew Bernie was going to do what he said. Having the same spiel over and over reinforced that consistency. I wish he'd some some things differently, but it might have undercut his image of consistency.

You can change your message to make it so more people understand without changing the overall goal. For example, I dont ever remember him refuting Biden when Biden would say MFA costs 35 trillion over 10 years. I dont remember Bernie saying well our current system will cost 50 trillion over 10 years. Its small things like that which could get people to have a lightbulb moment. Instead all they hear is how expensive MFA is. 

Or start calling insurance premiums a private tax. Change the narrative. 

2 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

You can change your message to make it so more people understand without changing the overall goal. For example, I dont ever remember him refuting Biden when Biden would say MFA costs 35 trillion over 10 years. I dont remember Bernie saying well our current system will cost 50 trillion over 10 years. Its small things like that which could get people to have a lightbulb moment. Instead all they hear is how expensive MFA is. 

Or start calling insurance premiums a private tax. Change the narrative. 

Good points.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Good points.

Kara Eastman here in Omaha is taking tips from Kyle Kukinski on how to message MFA and other progressive policies and she won her primary in a landslide. She is running a great canpaign against Bacon. Going on the attack and joking about what he will call her before he even says it. Making easy to understand memes and MFA videos. This is how more progressives need to message. If they do, they will win more because their policy proposals are already popular. 

She made this bingo card directly after primary and posts it to his tweets anytime he says this stuff. Its brilliant!

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Kara Eastman here in Omaha is taking tips from Kyle Kukinski on how to message MFA and other progressive policies and she won her primary in a landslide. She is running a great canpaign against Bacon. Going on the attack and joking about what he will call her before he even says it. Making easy to understand memes and MFA videos. This is how more progressives need to message. If they do, they will win more because their policy proposals are already popular. 

She made this bingo card directly after primary and posts it to his tweets anytime he says this stuff. Its brilliant!

That's a pretty good idea.

I hope she wins. Biden will help in Omaha. It would be nice to finally have someone who will work for things that help the city and state instead of just a safe WASPY Republican who just talks about muh freedoms and tax cuts.

• Plus1 1

WTF is this garbage?  An elected official should not be trafficking in religion.  

Three days of fasting, prayer to begin Monday, July 20

As the number of people infected with COVID-19 continues to rise, Governor John Bel Edwards is asking the community to participate in three days of fasting and prayer.

“I know it’s a little bit unusual,” Edwards said during a press conference held on Thursday, July 16. “This will be a spiritual diet and exercise that I, as a Catholic Christian, believe is very important anyway.”

The three-day period will begin on Monday, July 20.

“We’ll be doing lunch fasting for those three days, and certainly praying as well. Praying for the people of Louisiana. Praying for those who are sick. Praying for those who care for those who are sick. And certainly for the families of those who have passed on.”

Edwards encourages people of all faiths to participate, saying this is not just a call to action for fellow Catholics.

“God’s people have turned to fasting and prayer throughout their journeys of faith to remind themselves of their dependence on God, to focus on his grace and to seek deliverance during times of great trial and tribulation,” said Bishop Michael G. Duca of the Diocese of Baton Rouge, in a press release. “May our prayers include all those who have been stricken by the virus, those who care for them and those whose livelihoods have been threatened by this vile pandemic. May the Holy Spirit guide researchers and scientists in their search for a vaccine. We also pray for those who have died from the virus. May they have eternal rest in the company of the angels and the saints.”

10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

WTF is this garbage?  An elected official should not be trafficking in religion

Knapp - got to disagree wt you on this one.  He isn't trafficking in anything.   He did say 'all faiths' not just his own. He's not trying to establish a state religion (although I would bet Catholic is the leading faith profession in that state)  It is nice to see a bit of humility in recognizing that the problem is bigger than what he can solve.  Prayer can bring clarity that perhaps will help him as governor and others to better serve their state during this crisis.   The call to prayer by govt officials (national, state and local) has occurred regularly during a national crisis.  It is ingrained in our society.    Washington, Lincoln, FDR, Truman, Reagan, GWB, Obama - all publicly voiced their request for prayer.   

• Plus1 1
Just now, TGHusker said:

Knapp - got to disagree wt you on this one.  He isn't trafficking in anything.   He did say 'all faiths' not just his own. He's not trying to establish a state religion (although I would bet Catholic is the leading faith profession in that state)  It is nice to see a bit of humility in recognizing that the problem is bigger than what he can solve.  Prayer can bring clarity that perhaps will help him as governor and others to better serve their state during this crisis.   The call to prayer by govt officials (national, state and local) has occurred regularly during a national crisis.  It is ingrained in our society.    Washington, Lincoln, FDR, Truman, Reagan, GWB, Obama - all publicly voiced their request for prayer.   

This is a religious act being suggested in hopes of divine intervention.  This is an overt act of religion. Doesn't matter if it's for any specific religion or not. It's completely out of bounds for an elected official.

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I saw a Don Bacon ad yesterday that made me wonder if he's nervous. It was all about how bi partisan he was and how he'll work with people from both sides on health care.

Hopefully Eastman pushes back on that.

Bacon's party's current position on healthcare is "we want to take yours away and replace it with ????"

6 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Hopefully Eastman pushes back on that.

Bacon's party's current position on healthcare is "we want to take yours away and replace it with ????"

Ya, it's pretty ridiculous to hear from the GOP what they're gonna do in the future about health care when they had control and only tried to reduce coverage.

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Ya, it's pretty ridiculous to hear from the GOP what they're gonna do in the future about health care when they had control and only tried to reduce coverage.

They've been governing for 3.5 years and Trump claims “we’re signing a health-care plan within two weeks, a full and complete health care-plan."

Yeah, and I've got some beachfront property in Grand Island for sale if anyone's interested.

• Plus1 1