The Republican Utopia

Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

On the ground combat, or not, I can't imagine masculinity, or whatever comes with that, not being preferred in a military setting.

Both.

Dude, the NG guys are the best, talk about not doing much at all.

I can still remember years ago, when I was a kid, we say three national guards at a park, they were playing cards in the middle of the day.  It was like glorified Boy Scouts.  

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Dude, the NG guys are the best, talk about not doing much at all.

I can still remember years ago, when I was a kid, we say three national guards at a park, they were playing cards in the middle of the day.  It was like glorified Boy Scouts.  

You mean heros! :rolleyes:

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Russia's ad was akin to Nebraska pushing out a pump up video of 250+ lb dudes deadlifting twice their body weight and yelling at the ceiling while snorting lines of pre-workout and eating a 40 oz. steak.

It doesn't matter. We had those kinds of videos during the Riley era and then we all saw what happened on Saturdays.

That said, I get what Cruz and others are taking issue with. It's about image, and that particular ad runs in pretty stark contrast to what the military is at its very nature: deadly and dangerous. But, whatever commercial our country is running to try and boost recruiting doesn't really impact their ability to do their jobs. People who want to train to become elite special forces are out there, just as much as there's someone out there who will excel at being a behind-the-scenes mechanic or intelligence operative. And the people who don't belong or can't do the job will get weeded out as they always have.

Why would a US Senator give a rat's patootie about some other country's propaganda?

Why that country?

Why now?

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

On the ground combat, or not, I can't imagine masculinity, or whatever comes with that, not being preferred in a military setting.

Both.

With the not on the ground combat, I'd prefer intelligence over masculinity or athleticism/strength. Although this could probably be a really long debate. Do we want soldiers to be robots or do we want them to have a conscience? Is masculinity synonymous with not having one? I.e. not caring what you're having the drone shoot (you don't need muscles for that so I'm wondering what the masculine part is). You can't have people who are going to care so much they don't do their jobs but it'd be nice if it was some fraction of every country's soldiers' thoughts.

23 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

With the not on the ground combat, I'd prefer intelligence over masculinity or athleticism/strength. Although this could probably be a really long debate. Do we want soldiers to be robots or do we want them to have a conscience? Is masculinity synonymous with not having one? I.e. not caring what you're having the drone shoot (you don't need muscles for that so I'm wondering what the masculine part is). You can't have people who are going to care so much they don't do their jobs but it'd be nice if it was some fraction of every country's soldiers' thoughts.

My post was made under the assumption of intelligence being the top preferred trait. Intelligence being equal, I'd prefer masculinity paired with it over non-masculinity, every time.

• Plus1 2
55 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

My post was made under the assumption of intelligence being the top preferred trait. Intelligence being equal, I'd prefer masculinity paired with it over non-masculinity, every time.

I agree if we're talking soldiers in general. When recruiting soldiers you should want people who are physically fit and strong and athletic and smart. Men are stronger and faster but we've already decided we will basically take anyone who signs up and can pass the tests.

That said I'd take fat geniuses for some areas of the military over fit morons. In others I'd take fit morons. I'm not sure if that's what you mean with masculinity (physical strength) - are you talking strong big dudes? Or lack of empathy? I don't really think lack of empathy is masculine, but if soldiers aren't on the ground I'm not sure why I'd prefer masculinity over any other trait, unless it has to do with seeing the enemy as people.

21 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Cruz thinks our military is going to turn into pansies and become emasculated if diversity is promoted, which got me to thinking...

How masculine and physically tough does a military need to be today to win? We can kill people while sitting at a computer or holding a remote control now. We will probably always need specialized troops that are in peak physical condition but there is also room for people who are just extremely smart.

1)  Why is diversity considered a weakness rather than a strength?

2) Should the guy who fled to Cancun when his state was freezing be offering this critique? 

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is a strange conversation.  

5 hours ago, ZRod said:

I concur.

Most philosophical conversations are. Why does someone sitting in a room pressing buttons to kill people need to be masculine and what does that word mean in this context? I think it's entertaining to think about.