Jump to content


The Republican Utopia


Recommended Posts


Yeah, I'll pass on DeSantis for president if this is what he's going to try to sneak into American laws.

 

This is prayer time in public schools. It's absurd that this would be a law.

 

Florida governor signs new bill requiring K-12 public schools to hold moment of silence each day

All K-12 public schools in Florida will hold a moment of silence at the start of the day starting next school year, according to a bill signed into law Monday by Gov. Ron DeSantis.

 

According to the law, which was HB 529 in the Florida legislature, principals of each public school shall require teachers in first-period classrooms in all grades to set aside at least one minute but not more than two minutes daily for the moment of silence. Teachers may not make suggestions as to the nature of any reflection that a student may engage in during the moment of silence, the law states. A period of "silent prayer or meditation" was optional for school districts in the state prior to the new law.
 
"It's important to be able to provide each student the ability every day to reflect and be able to pray as they see fit," the Republican governor said before signing the bill at the Shul of Bal Harbour in Surfside, Florida. "The idea that you can just push God out of every institution and be successful, I'm sorry our founding fathers did not believe that."
  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Yeah, I'll pass on DeSantis for president if this is what he's going to try to sneak into American laws.

 

This is prayer time in public schools. It's absurd that this would be a law.

 

Florida governor signs new bill requiring K-12 public schools to hold moment of silence each day

All K-12 public schools in Florida will hold a moment of silence at the start of the day starting next school year, according to a bill signed into law Monday by Gov. Ron DeSantis.

 

According to the law, which was HB 529 in the Florida legislature, principals of each public school shall require teachers in first-period classrooms in all grades to set aside at least one minute but not more than two minutes daily for the moment of silence. Teachers may not make suggestions as to the nature of any reflection that a student may engage in during the moment of silence, the law states. A period of "silent prayer or meditation" was optional for school districts in the state prior to the new law.
 
"It's important to be able to provide each student the ability every day to reflect and be able to pray as they see fit," the Republican governor said before signing the bill at the Shul of Bal Harbour in Surfside, Florida. "The idea that you can just push God out of every institution and be successful, I'm sorry our founding fathers did not believe that."

He's working on his bucket list for his 2024 presidential run.  He can now place a check mark by the Evangelical Vote :facepalm:

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Yeah, I'll pass on DeSantis for president if this is what he's going to try to sneak into American laws.

 

This is prayer time in public schools. It's absurd that this would be a law.

 

Florida governor signs new bill requiring K-12 public schools to hold moment of silence each day

All K-12 public schools in Florida will hold a moment of silence at the start of the day starting next school year, according to a bill signed into law Monday by Gov. Ron DeSantis.

 

According to the law, which was HB 529 in the Florida legislature, principals of each public school shall require teachers in first-period classrooms in all grades to set aside at least one minute but not more than two minutes daily for the moment of silence. Teachers may not make suggestions as to the nature of any reflection that a student may engage in during the moment of silence, the law states. A period of "silent prayer or meditation" was optional for school districts in the state prior to the new law.
 
"It's important to be able to provide each student the ability every day to reflect and be able to pray as they see fit," the Republican governor said before signing the bill at the Shul of Bal Harbour in Surfside, Florida. "The idea that you can just push God out of every institution and be successful, I'm sorry our founding fathers did not believe that."

You would pass on him anyways so nothing is new here. The one minute isn’t forced prayer or even suggested prayer time. 

  • Plus1 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment

11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

"silent prayer or meditation" was optional for school districts in the state prior to the new law.

 

Looks like it was a thing before, but now is codified. If the kids want to pray, pray. If they want to meditate, meditate. If they want to close their eyes and cat nap, cat nap. 

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

 

Looks like it was a thing before, but now is codified. If the kids want to pray, pray. If they want to meditate, meditate. If they want to close their eyes and cat nap, cat nap. 

 

If they want to do none of those things, in the presence of others who are praying, they still have to be there. And DeSantis SPECIFICALLY cited God in his announcement today.

 

Let's not pretend this is anything other than pushing religion into classrooms. C'mon, man. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

So this is actually been a thing  (sort of, with maybe a little difference) at a lot of schools for a few years now.  Go Yogi program is pretty popular (as in popular that it is used, not really followed by the students), it is not really prayer based, though I suppose some might pray but it is more about reflection and mindfulness, meditation and relaxing or learning to let some stress go and be mindful.

 

With that said, most students just put their head down on their desk or keep dicking around on their iPad.

 

The idea of a few moments to relax and reflect is nice but from what I have seen it is not really all that popular.  

 

With that said part II, if some kid wants to pray before a math test, good luck to you, never helped me!

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment
Just now, teachercd said:

So this is actually been a thing  (sort of, with maybe a little difference) at a lot of schools for a few years now.  Go Yogi program is pretty popular, it is not really prayer based, though I suppose some might pray but it is more about reflection and mindfulness, meditation and relaxing or learning to let some stress go and be mindful.

 

With that said, most students just put their head down on their desk or keep dicking around on their iPad.

 

The idea of a few moments to relax and reflect is nice but from what I have seen it is not really all that popular.  

 

With that said part II, if some kid wants to pray before a math test, good luck to you, never helped me!

 

Was it optional or codified by law?

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

30 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Yeah, I'll pass on DeSantis for president if this is what he's going to try to sneak into American laws.

 

This is prayer time in public schools. It's absurd that this would be a law.

 

Florida governor signs new bill requiring K-12 public schools to hold moment of silence each day

All K-12 public schools in Florida will hold a moment of silence at the start of the day starting next school year, according to a bill signed into law Monday by Gov. Ron DeSantis.

 

According to the law, which was HB 529 in the Florida legislature, principals of each public school shall require teachers in first-period classrooms in all grades to set aside at least one minute but not more than two minutes daily for the moment of silence. Teachers may not make suggestions as to the nature of any reflection that a student may engage in during the moment of silence, the law states. A period of "silent prayer or meditation" was optional for school districts in the state prior to the new law.
 
"It's important to be able to provide each student the ability every day to reflect and be able to pray as they see fit," the Republican governor said before signing the bill at the Shul of Bal Harbour in Surfside, Florida. "The idea that you can just push God out of every institution and be successful, I'm sorry our founding fathers did not believe that."

Yeah...that's just bad all the way around.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

 

If they want to do none of those things, in the presence of others who are praying, they still have to be there. And DeSantis SPECIFICALLY cited God in his announcement today.

 

Let's not pretend this is anything other than pushing religion into classrooms. C'mon, man. 

 

As long as the "pray" part is optional, and "reflection" or "mindfulness" are also options, let's not pretend it's a big deal. 

  • Oh Yeah! 1
Link to comment
Just now, DevoHusker said:

 

As long as the "pray" part is optional, and "reflection" or "mindfulness" are also options, let's not pretend it's a big deal. 

 

If it's "not a big deal" then why did DeSantis cite "pushing God out" while signing this into law. 

 

If he'd have signed this same law, but required the kids to use a mat and face Mecca, there would be one hell of a different reaction here. 

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment

What this is going to turn into is teachers taking attendance and asking kids to get silent and kids messing around on their devices and chatting and sleeping for 2 minutes.  

 

Then teachers will b!^@h about it, because well, that is what teachers do.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If he'd have signed this same law, but required the kids to use a mat and face Mecca, there would be one hell of a different reaction here. 

That would be a different law because this one we are discussing doesn’t require any sort of prayer of attempt to pray or do anything religious.   Which of course you know, so not understanding why such a dumb example was used in your post 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...