The Republican Utopia

15 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Why is it necessary for the state government to mandate this silent 1-2 minutes?

Why is it necessary for the state government to mandate anything the schools do?

Stay out of what we do, if you are not in education if you don't have a background in the field, stay out.  Period, it is so simple.

Trust me, no teacher wants more s#!t piled on their plate.  

If I taught in Florida, this is how I would handle this "Okay, guys, so we have 2 minutes of silence at the start of first period, as long as you are quiet, I don't really care what you do"

Then I would quickly start checking Huskerboard.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

all the way through high school...i can imagine the prayers said there..."dear god...-please let me score with mary jo sugarlips tonight"  and when their heads are bowed down in that moment of silence they will be checking out some things that are not spiritual in nature.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Stay out of what we do, if you are not in education if you don't have a background in the field, stay out.  Period, it is so simple.

You've said this many times on here and I don't know if you're 100% serious.

But, I'm 100% against your statement.

Sorry, but you work for the community and the community should have say in what you do.

Your statement is like an employee saying his boss should stay the f#&% out of his job.  Well...that's not how it works either.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Why is it necessary for the state government to mandate anything the schools do?

If I taught in Florida, this is how I would handle this "Okay, guys, so we have 2 minutes of silence at the start of first period, as long as you are quiet, I don't really care what you do"

How many two minutes breaks a day do you get already?

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

BECAUSE how will the US voters know you're the candidate for Jesus, if you don't do dumb s#!t like this????? This is just a DeSantis publicity thing for presidency. If you want religion in your kid's school, send them to religious school and stop giving public school teachers unnecessary s#!t to do. Not rocket science. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You've said this many times on here and I don't know if you're 100% serious.

But, I'm 100% against your statement.

Sorry, but you work for the community and the community should have say in what you do.

Your statement is like an employee saying his boss should stay the f#&% out of his job.  Well...that's not how it works either.

I am serious and I am right.

You want to serve on a school board?  Have a background in education.  It is a simple ask and it makes sense.

Is there a fireman board?

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

How many two minutes breaks a day do you get already?

I get 45 two minute breaks every other day.  Not counting passing periods.

We are on block schedule, 4 classes per day, 90 minutes each.  One day I teach 3 classes with one 90 minute break and lunch. The other day I teach all four classes, with like a 25 minute lunch

Holy f#&% this party has gone off the rails.  They're literally honoring a traitor who has supported the use of a military coup to keep their Dear Leader in power.  If Republicans haven't jumped ship by now what are they waiting for?  The only honest answer I can come up with is they are perfectly fine going down the road of an authoritarian dictatorship. 

• Plus1 2
Just now, teachercd said:

I am serious and I am right.

You want to serve on a school board?  Have a background in education.  It is a simple ask and it makes sense.

Is there a fireman board?

No, Not everyone that's on the city council has a city administration degree.  Not everyone on the area economic development board has that degree.  

The only way you are going to have what you want is if ex teachers are on the board.  You know what?  None of them want anything to do with it anymore.

Well....we disagree.  Thing is, it's not going to change and I guess teachers are just going to have to deal with it.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

No, Not everyone that's on the city council has a city administration degree.  Not everyone on the area economic development board has that degree.  

The only way you are going to have what you want is if ex teachers are on the board.  You know what?  None of them want anything to do with it anymore.

Well....we disagree.  Thing is, it's not going to change and I guess teachers are just going to have to deal with it.

Yeah, we will have to keep making sure we "follow" all the nonsense :)

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

What this is going to turn into is teachers taking attendance and asking kids to get silent and kids messing around on their devices and chatting and sleeping for 2 minutes.  

Then teachers will b!^@h about it, because well, that is what teachers do.

This!

We have a 10 minute Homeroom to say the Pledge and listen to 30 secs of announcements.

That 9 minutes of idle time is the longest stretch of my dsy by far.  Mandating two minutes of “quiet time” was in no way recommended by someone who has actually taught in a classroom.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This!

We have a 10 minute Homeroom to say the Pledge and listen to 30 secs of announcements.

That 9 minutes of idle time is the longest stretch of my dsy by far.  Mandating two minutes of “quiet time” was in no way recommended by someone who has actually taught in a classroom.  

Dude...Homeroom is horrible (thanks to all the amazing school board members that think it is a great idea)

We did away with it except for like once a week.  We just do announcements at the start of the day and end of the day.  Before we had HR every single day and I think it was 15 minutes but I can't remember for sure.  All I know is it was like pulling teeth to get kids to use that time for anything other than screw around time.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Dude...Homeroom is horrible (thanks to all the amazing school board members that think it is a great idea)

We did away with it except for like once a week.  We just do announcements at the start of the day and end of the day.  Before we had HR every single day and I think it was 15 minutes but I can't remember for sure.  All I know is it was like pulling teeth to get kids to use that time for anything other than screw around time.

Thank god for cell phone addictions. My Homeroom is like a methadone clinic for these kids!

Ooh. Ooh!  I could spend two minutes thanking god for that!!!!

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This!

Do you have Pledge deniers?  

I have had two, I think, maybe three.  They sit when the pledge starts.  No one says anything or does anything and I just stand there, not caring what they do.