The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Both parties are responsible for the debt, but one party makes government debt out to be a boogeyman (it isn't).

It comes down to: what are you comfortable raising the debt for? Republicans tend to raise the debt for tax cuts, benefiting certain businesses and typically for the wealthy. 

Democrats raise the debt for social spending, but often inefficiently. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Both parties are responsible for the debt, but one party makes government debt out to be a boogeyman (it isn't).

It comes down to: what are you comfortable raising the debt for? Republicans tend to raise the debt for tax cuts, benefiting certain businesses and typically for the wealthy. 

Democrats raise the debt for social spending, but often inefficiently. 

Agree. I thought it was a useful graph showing how, regardless of the party of the President, it has been steadily rising for 30 years. 

21 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/majority-trump-voters-believe-time-160443147.html

Good, frankly I'm tired of the money-sucking red states. We can send them a bill for all the pay federal dollars they've received in excess to what they've paid in. 

You peaked my curiosity. Are you talking about not paying federal income taxes, or how much federal money each state gets? I would almost think that the amount of federal money a state get depends on which party is in power at the federal level.

2 hours ago, nic said:

You peaked my curiosity. Are you talking about not paying federal income taxes, or how much federal money each state gets? I would almost think that the amount of federal money a state get depends on which party is in power at the federal level.

I'm referring to the federal taxes states pay compared to what they receive in federal money.

It should come as no surprise that red states get more in federal money than they pay (states like California and New York subsidize states like Kentucky and Alabama)

https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/carroll/opinion/cc-op-zirpoli-050620-20200506-7ya7okjfk5btdpysnrnrfouyz4-story.html.

I think it's time those states pick themselves up by their bootstraps. Furthermore, when we have two countries, we should build a wall around the blue states to keep the poor red staters out. We can round them up with guys on horseback and send those leeches back to the states they came. 

We can set up a repayment plan for all the federal money they've sucked up, the interest on which can be marginal. 

• Plus1 2