The Republican Utopia

2 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Unironically, yes, many of them, particularly actual Republicans, are.

It might suck to hear that, but let's call a spade a spade instead of just pretending white grievance isn't a central theme connecting particularly rural Rs.

Hey buddy, I’m on your side here.  Keep it up and go string into 2022 with it.  I think it’s great.  

• Plus1 2

53 minutes ago, nic said:

Agreed. But immigration is a federal problem. Need to have good policy so they don’t have to rush the border. I don’t like part. No country should have that happen.

Immigration reform is really hard, bordering on impossible. The border security part is easy because most people agree on that. Republicans want to be more hardline on that aspect than Democrats.

But the stuff that would actually address factors affecting immigration positively and resolve some of the problems are unpopular and politicians aren't willing to stick their necks out to fix them because they're selfish. 

That last part is the case with a lot of modern problems the government could address.

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Hey buddy, I’m on your side here.  Keep it up and go string into 2022 with it.  I think it’s great.  

Got any more genius prognostication you'd like to share with us bud?

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Didn't say any of that. So either check your reading comprehension or stop putting words in my mouth.

Nor did I say that you said any of that.  It’s what the Democrat candidate for Gov ran on and it seems other Dems having gotten the memo that it didn’t work.  About that reading comprehension thing..

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Nor did I say that you said any of that.  It’s what the Democrat candidate for Gov ran on and it seems other Dems having gotten the memo that it didn’t work.  About that reading comprehension thing..

If your point is McAuliffe ran a poor campaign, I agree.

Not sure a lot of Dems are going to rush to replicate his performance.

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

To be fair, your party doesn't have to do anything (or develop a policy platform) to win in 2022.

While you're busy grappling with the overwhelming scientific consensus that Humans are causing climate change, the rest of the Republican Party can win by saying and doing nearly anything. They can do that for another 12-16 years in the Senate at least. 

9 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

To be fair, your party doesn't have to do anything (or develop a policy platform) to win in 2022.

While you're busy grappling with the overwhelming scientific consensus that Humans are causing climate change, the rest of the Republican Party can win by saying and doing nearly anything. They can do that for another 12-16 years in the Senate at least. 

To your point, Dems have a much harder row to hoe.

With the way the federal government works today, it's much harder to successfully be the party of good government helping people. To their enduring credit,  they're doing a good job bungling it. But they've got a lot more diversity of thought on their side that is harder to whip into successful votes.

They need to get something positive passed but quasi-Rs like Manchin and Sinema are perfectly fine dragging their feet and waiting to slim down the final bill so they can campaign on being the reason it was smaller and more fiscally responsible.

And they also have COVID fatigue and the typical anti-incumbancy fervor in an off-year election working against them. Meanwhile many of the economic problems and COVID spikes cropping up are largely the result of the anti-vax morons completely out of their control.

Tough time to be a D.

34 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

With the way the federal government works today, it's much harder to successfully be the party of good government helping people. To their enduring credit,  they're doing a good job bungling it. But they've got a lot more diversity of thought on their side that is harder to whip into successful votes.

They need to get something positive passed but quasi-Rs like Manchin and Sinema are perfectly fine dragging their feet and waiting to slim down the final bill so they can campaign on being the reason it was smaller and more fiscally responsible.

And they also have COVID fatigue and the typical anti-incumbancy fervor in an off-year election working against them. Meanwhile many of the economic problems and COVID spikes cropping up are largely the result of the anti-vax morons completely out of their control.

Tough time to be a D.

Many of the issues you bring up are true, a multitude of factors go into their failures last night and into their looming disaster in 2022.

But issues like education polarization, continued identity polarization and demographic shifts point to much deeper issues for Democrats than policy or facing a difficult midterm cycle. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Ok:thumbs

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Immigration reform is really hard, bordering on impossible. The border security part is easy because most people agree on that. Republicans want to be more hardline on that aspect than Democrats.

But the stuff that would actually address factors affecting immigration positively and resolve some of the problems are unpopular and politicians aren't willing to stick their necks out to fix them because they're selfish. 

That last part is the case with a lot of modern problems the government could address.

Your right. I think it will take a super majority to get anything done.

1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

Tough time to be a D.

Here's a pretty accurate take: 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, nic said:

Your right. I think it will take a super majority to get anything done.

Which seems functionally impossible at this point.

So I think it's more likely the two sides continue kicking the can back and forth forever in whichever direction is convenient for the short term and the fairly widely agreed upon common sense fixes never get done.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

While we're at it, has your party decided if the elections last night were stolen or does that only apply when you lose? 

Why are you asking me?  I’ve long said I was tired of Trump talking about the election once his December lawsuits failed.  

• Plus1 1