The Republican Utopia

31 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

@teachercd do teachers get to pick and choose what historical topics they cover in classes?

I think Lorewarn's point was that in his education there were a lot of very important historical events skipped over.  I know there was in mine as well - shouldn't' there be some curriculum standard about what is taught?  And shouldn't all those examples be taught?

In Nebraska there are standards for each subject at each grade level.  Those standards (topics) need to be addressed by the appropriate teachers/classes.  Most districts make public the standards taught in the district and have "curriculum cards" available on their websites.  If it isn't on the district website just google "(name of state) education standards", you'll likely see everything you are asking about.  Unless you try to look up standards for Texas or Mississippi....:lol:

As an Middle School Industrial Tech teacher (aka Shop) I don't even get to teach "what I feel like".  Not only is what I teach laid out by the district, I'm supposed to teach those topics within the same week of the other middle schools in my district.  However, we do get input in our curriculum every 7 years.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

@teachercd do teachers get to pick and choose what historical topics they cover in classes?

I think Lorewarn's point was that in his education there were a lot of very important historical events skipped over.  I know there was in mine as well - shouldn't' there be some curriculum standard about what is taught?  And shouldn't all those examples be taught?

Yep, there are curriculum standards. 

On 1/24/2022 at 12:55 PM, funhusker said:

In Nebraska there are standards for each subject at each grade level.  Those standards (topics) need to be addressed by the appropriate teachers/classes.  Most districts make public the standards taught in the district and have "curriculum cards" available on their websites.  If it isn't on the district website just google "(name of state) education standards", you'll likely see everything you are asking about.  Unless you try to look up standards for Texas or Mississippi....:lol:

As an Middle School Industrial Tech teacher (aka Shop) I don't even get to teach "what I feel like".  Not only is what I teach laid out by the district, I'm supposed to teach those topics within the same week of the other middle schools in my district.  However, we do get input in our curriculum every 7 years.

So if there are gaps in topics one would need to approach the district and inquire?  Or are there nation wide criteria that are "MUST TEACH"? to ensure that all states, districts etc have the same topics - is it possible that a Nebraska kid might learn about the Tulsa Race Massacre and a kid in Idaho in the same grade may not?   (apologies if I'm not totally understanding and you already explained it)

57 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

So if there are gaps in topics one would need to approach the district and inquire?  Or are there nation wide criteria that are "MUST TEACH"? to ensure that all states, districts etc have the same topics - is it possible that a Nebraska kid might learn about the Tulsa Race Massacre and a kid in Idaho in the same grade may not?   (apologies if I'm not totally understanding and you already explained it)

I'm sure there are "gaps".

For example, in NE one of my objectives is for students to be able to read a ruler to 1/16 of an inch.  Some teachers in the state may just ask students to complete a worksheet where they measure the length of a line on a piece of paper.  And some of us will ask a student to cut a board to a certain length using a band saw.  Our district does the same assessment, called DCA's: District Common Assessments. 

We are both meeting the same objective, but one of us is definitely more in depth and engaging.

In History, an example of an objective might be to relate past events to current events.  I'm sure it's up to the teacher to choose what past event the kids are trying to relate to.

• Plus1 1
On 1/25/2022 at 3:13 PM, funhusker said:

I'm sure there are "gaps".

For example, in NE one of my objectives is for students to be able to read a ruler to 1/16 of an inch.  Some teachers in the state may just ask students to complete a worksheet where they measure the length of a line on a piece of paper.  And some of us will ask a student to cut a board to a certain length using a band saw.  Our district does the same assessment, called DCA's: District Common Assessments. 

We are both meeting the same objective, but one of us is definitely more in depth and engaging.

In History, an example of an objective might be to relate past events to current events.  I'm sure it's up to the teacher to choose what past event the kids are trying to relate to.

Oh an kids don't go to school 24 hours a day for an entire year...so like sometimes it is hard to go super in depth with every freaking topic in the world.  

If only there were people at home that claimed to be super passionate about certain topics that would take the time to teach their kids about those topics...imagine such a world

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

Lol..

I had to figure out what Maus was and why it was banned. Funny how when something is banned it becomes more popular. Dr Seuss books last year for example. People downloaded “Baby Its Cold Outside” when it was criticized. Heck, the minute I heard Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Charlie Brown Christmas specials came under fire, I immediately bought and watched them with the kids. I probably didn’t miss them before someone decided they were bad. Every time changing gun laws are in discussion, everyone goes out and buys more. Maybe we should try reverse psychology.

With Maus it sounds like some language and some nudity, but yet the same folks will get angry when Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer or To Kill a Mockingbird  are removed from the reading list. I read an article that claimed Maus was banned by holocaust deniers (suppression of history), but those folks exist on both sides of the political spectrum. 

• Plus1 1