The Republican Utopia

12 minutes ago, funhusker said:
33 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

But @admo feels the need to respond to @knapplc every time he opens his?

I could be wrong, but I haven’t noticed @admo respond every time.  

16 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I could see your point if you all stayed silent.  But the fact that you guys are apparently involved in this conversation since you both are now replying to the topic, it does make it strange that you don't want to continue to voice your condemnation.    :dunno

No not really.  I’m replying to you about why I think admo appropriately responded to someone trying to troll (in my view).  

Just cause TFI is infatuated with Greene’s idiocy doesn’t mean everyone is required to high five him for every post.   Her idiocy is already established and has been commented on.  It’s kinda like the Squad.  Their idiocy is established so why post about it everyday expecting everyone to agree with the post within a certain timeline or it’s considered “telling”?  

• Plus1 2

33 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The groovy thing about a political party is that you're not tied to them. If you self-identify as a Republican, but you realize they no longer fit your beliefs, you can just walk away.

Lots of us have done it. As @BigRedBuster says, it's liberating.

Sincerely,

A Former Republican

Yes it is.    And Mitt had something to say about it over the weekend

I've got morons on my team.'

I think many of us have seen that so much of the GOP has moved into the 'moron' phase as it has sold out to the cult of personality.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/i-ve-got-morons-on-my-team-mitt-romney-republican-utah-senator-blasts-fellow-gop-for-attending-white-nationalist-event-and-supporting-vladimir-putin/ar-AAUo2K6?ocid=entnewsntp

Republican Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah on Sunday blasted his fellow GOP members who attended a White nationalist event and those who support Russia President Vladimir Putin as the country invades Ukraine.

"Look, there is no place in either political party for this White nationalism or racism. It's simply wrong ... it's evil as well," Romney told CNN's Dana Bash on "State of the Union." "(Rep.) Marjorie Taylor Greene and (Rep.) Paul Gosar, I don't know them, but I'm reminded of that old line from the 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid' movie where - where one character says, 'Morons, I've got morons on my team.' And I have to think anybody that would sit down with White nationalists and speak at their conference was certainly missing a few IQ points."

The comment from Romney follows criticism from Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney, a Republican, of Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia and Paul Gosar of Arizona for speaking at the America First Political Action Conference that took place in Orlando, Florida and was organized by White nationalist Nick Fuentes. Illinois Rep. Adam Kinzinger, also a Republican, criticized Greene and Gosar. Greene spoke at the event in person and Gosar, who attended the same conference last year, appeared through pre-recorded remarks.

"As Rep Marjorie Taylor Greene and Rep Paul Gosar speak at this white supremacist, anti-Semitic, pro-Putin event, silence by Republican Party leaders is deafening and enabling," Cheney tweeted Saturday. "All Americans should renounce this garbage and reject the Putin wing of the GOP now."

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The groovy thing about a political party is that you're not tied to them. If you self-identify as a Republican, but you realize they no longer fit your beliefs, you can just walk away.

Lots of us have done it. As @BigRedBuster says, it's liberating.

Sincerely,

A Former Republican

As a former Republican many years ago I can say that this is so very much true.  

• Plus1 1

What's telling is that there's been more pushback of Cheney, Kinzinger, Romney over the years from our resident GOP cheerleaders than there has been for the moron MAGAs Romney refers to.  Think of it.   More pushback for those wanting to investigate the attack on our democracy than for those who are openly courting the white supremacists if not being full-blown white supremacists themselves.  Where's the party's leadership on this? AWOL.

• Plus1 5
18 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I wasn’t comparing the far right or far left of anything? I simply agreed that the Rs have managed to overly simplify their goals to a few points and keep the messaging simplified. The Ds have been far less politically  successful within their own ranks. It’s pretty impossible for our government to function as intended when absolutely anything the other side comes up with is successfully demonized by the whole of one party. Did I mention, our system is beyond broken.

Not sure why I quoted you. It was just a jumping off point for other posts in the thread. 

15 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

What's telling is that there's been more pushback of Cheney, Kinzinger, Romney over the years from our resident GOP cheerleaders than there has been for the moron MAGAs Romney refers to.  Think of it.   More pushback for those wanting to investigate the attack on our democracy than for those who are openly courting the white supremacists if not being full-blown white supremacists themselves.  Where's the party's leadership on this? AWOL.

In Moscow, hoping his generals don't assassinate him.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
13 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Yeah. There is a very small minority of elected Republicans willing to call out the party's extremism, and they get treated like traitors and threatened with primary challenges by the party establishment. I hear the chatter, and presume it also takes place behind closed doors, but I do not see Republicans stepping up in public to provide an off-ramp for the party. 

For those you "left the Republican party," do you still vote Republican? Do you participate in any primaries? One issue we have here in America is the whole system is built for two party rule. So the extremes of both sides hold too much sway as far as who makes it through the primary and into the general election. 

In Nebraska, you almost have to be registered R to have any impact on statewide politics.