The Republican Utopia

Sorry if this has been shared already, but given the GOP narrative that tries to paint blue states/cities as having such horrible murder problems, the results of this study were curious.

The Red State Murder Problem

The six states with the highest per-capita murder rates all voted for President Trump in 2020 — as did 8 of the top 10.

"Republicans seem to do a much better job of talking about stopping crime than stopping crime," said Jim Kessler, Third Way's EVP for policy, and an author of the report. Third Way looked at the 2020 murder rates in the 25 states that voted for Donald Trump, compared to the 25 states that voted for Joe Biden:

In Trump states, the rate was 8.20 murders per 100,000 residents. In Biden states, the rate was 5.78 murders per 100,000 residents.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
47 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Sorry if this has been shared already, but given the GOP narrative that tries to paint blue states/cities as having such horrible murder problems, the results of this study were curious.

The Red State Murder Problem

Interesting article and good read.   I can’t speak to many of the states but I can speak to KS, MO and OK.  

Highest rate of violent crime and murders in KS happen within a few blocks of Quindero and 7th st (inner city).  Same issue with Wichita.   MO problem centers are a square mile around Troost and maybe 60th, ironically very close to one of the richest parts of KC metro and an inner city section of St. Louis.   

Tulsa and OKC  is spread out a bit more, but the general theme exists in that the inner city poor sections of the cities account for an outsized number of the murders.  Not sure what the total takeaway is but it gives more context than looking at entire states or even entire cities.   

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Interesting article and good read.   I can’t speak to many of the states but I can speak to KS, MO and OK.  

Highest rate of violent crime and murders in KS happen within a few blocks of Quindero and 7th st (inner city).  Same issue with Wichita.   MO problem centers are a square mile around Troost and maybe 60th, ironically very close to one of the richest parts of KC metro and an inner city section of St. Louis.   

Tulsa and OKC  is spread out a bit more, but the general theme exists in that the inner city poor sections of the cities account for an outsized number of the murders.  Not sure what the total takeaway is but it gives more context than looking at entire states or even entire cities.   

But, almost all states have bad inner cities and rural areas.

• Fire 1

42 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Ya, and..

And what?  Further study of this would be interesting.

But, you made a comment that states like Kansas are heavily weighted by murders in a relatively small area in bad inner cities.  I'm saying that almost all states have those areas with large rural areas.  That's it.  It would be interesting to know what's different about Kansas in those areas compared to other states.

• Fire 1
14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And what?  Further study of this would be interesting.

But, you made a comment that states like Kansas are heavily weighted by murders in a relatively small area in bad inner cities.  I'm saying that almost all states have those areas with large rural areas.  That's it.  It would be interesting to know what's different about Kansas in those areas compared to other states.

Not much is different and that’s my point.  Most urban areas have a relatively small area that accounts for much of the violent crime.  The more densely populated those areas are doesn’t actually mean the corresponding murder rates will go up.  But it could be a reason that leads to a smaller murder rate per person.

The best questions/answers would be how to lower the violent crime rates in those inner city areas.   

You live in NE it sounds like.   Where are most of the states murders happening?  

• Plus1 4

35 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

The Lt. Governor of Idaho who's also running for Governor this year.

FN8jwX_UcAAPxpU?format=jpg&name=large

What a load of BS.  She knew who he was and what the group is that she was speaking at.  If she didn't, then that should send a big red signal up to voters.  I don't care if it's young "conservatives".  It's a white nationalist group.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

IMO the per capita element of the study is what makes its findings more engaging. It's not a perfect measurement method, but it does add some more objectivity to the results. I think we can all safely assume more populated areas generally equal more murders, and those densely populated areas tend to be blue, but the study does point that "Only 2 of America’s top 100 cities in population are located in these high murder rate states. And not a single one of the top 10 murder states registers in the top 15 for population density." It would be an obvious structural flaw to the study to just try to look at states vs. cities and not take into context the cities themselves.

My big takeaway from this study, more than anything else, is that murder (and gun violence, which I assume was a major cause in many of them) is a national problem that probably doesn't behoove itself to partisanship despite the best efforts of some of our elected officials. So, if we hear a GOP senator talking about how 'bad' some city like Chicago is, maybe we can point to their state and say "maybe you should worry about your own stuff?" Similarly, if a liberal senator starts trying to dunk on these red states for their murder problems, maybe we should encourage them to worry about fixing the areas where those problems happen.

• Plus1 2
15 hours ago, Enhance said:

IMO the per capita element of the study is what makes its findings more engaging. It's not a perfect measurement method, but it does add some more objectivity to the results. I think we can all safely assume more populated areas generally equal more murders, and those densely populated areas tend to be blue, but the study does point that "Only 2 of America’s top 100 cities in population are located in these high murder rate states. And not a single one of the top 10 murder states registers in the top 15 for population density." It would be an obvious structural flaw to the study to just try to look at states vs. cities and not take into context the cities themselves.

My big takeaway from this study, more than anything else, is that murder (and gun violence, which I assume was a major cause in many of them) is a national problem that probably doesn't behoove itself to partisanship despite the best efforts of some of our elected officials. So, if we hear a GOP senator talking about how 'bad' some city like Chicago is, maybe we can point to their state and say "maybe you should worry about your own stuff?" Similarly, if a liberal senator starts trying to dunk on these red states for their murder problems, maybe we should encourage them to worry about fixing the areas where those problems happen.

Yes, it's a national problem.  One way to look at it is that you're just as unsafe living in Alabama as you are a place Illinois that includes Chicago.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, it's a national problem.  One way to look at it is that you're just as unsafe living in Alabama as you are a place Illinois that includes Chicago.

No you can’t look at it that way.  You are safer living in Naperville than in parts of Birmingham.   You are safer living in small town Alabama than in South side Chicago.  Depends on where you live.  

• Plus1 2