The Republican Utopia

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Admittedly I know and understand very little about this deal. It seems to be highly political and an attempt to punish Disney for being gay friendly and not kissing Desantis’ butt. IDK, maybe I have that wrong? But I’ve been to Disneyworld a few times. I spent a full week, mostly at Epcot while my wife was at a seminar. And I can easily say that whole area is really strange and I cannot think of another place in the US where a private company controls everything the way Disney does. Personally I don’t think it extremely wise or healthy to have a company wield that much power over things that local, county and state governments are usually responsible for.

The bolded wasn't an issue until the last few months, despite it being in place in 1967. So, yeah, it is political and without any real substance.

Disney (objectively) benefits from the charter. Florida benefits (objectively) from Disney. Quite a few of the reasons how and why have been outlined in this thread if you're interested (by the way, I'm not saying that with snark. Just letting you know there are some recent posts/articles outlining the charter here if you're interested).

16 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Again, this could go on about any thread. Just wondering:

America's heavy lean towards autocracy and nationalism isn't just an American thing. It's a global thing. Big drama demagogues are assuming the populist mantle and wielding political power across western democracies, along with the full-on kleptocracies they've enjoyed in developing nations. Lots of disinformation and blaming "the other" in common.

Correct. I would argue our electoral structure makes it a lot easier to pull off. Republicans are slowly turning the country into their own personal version of Wisconsin - where Republicans receive fewer votes but Dominate the state House, Senate and Judiciary. American democracy is uniquely unable to defend itself against the a hoard of zealot Republicans.

In 2018, for example, Democrats won 53% of the popular vote compared to 44.75% for Republicans. That huge popular vote victory allowed Dems to cut into the SUPERMAJORITY Republicans enjoyed. Post election, the state Assembly was 64% R, 36% D. They're going to try to do this with the whole country.

19 hours ago, knapplc said:

This is just shameful. 

Florida is no longer a 50/50 state, just like Iowa and Ohio. They're long gone. Democrats have pursued aggressive gerrymanders on California and New York, so I'm not sure this Tweet is fair.  

Of course, one party is actually serious about ranked choice voting and banning gerrymanders and the other is trying to figure out how how maximize the authoritarian elements of their party to seize power.

11 hours ago, Enhance said:

Some reasons are outlined in the article. Some have also been posted here, some in direct response to you that I know you received a notification about. So you either haven't read them or have ignored them. Both are your problem to solve if you're actually interested in a conversation.

This banal cat and mouse game you like to play here with your fellow board members isn't going to work on me, particularly when you've asked some variant of 'why is this bad for Disney' and potential reasons as to why have literally been outlined.

The article you posted was quite frankly not helpful in its assessment.   Anytime one talks about “best case/worse case” scenarios and I’m told the best case is unknown but the worst case is $2 billion in debt, well quite frankly that’s laziness from a person who already has their mind made up on the issue.   Best case isn’t anymore unknown than the worst case, because they can get the bean counters to get an estimate of property tax revenue that will now come into the state coffers, sales tax revenue that is no longer being lost due to tax breaks  that will come into the coffers, control over the regulatory environment for new construction, etc…but the journalist didn’t want to do the legwork and have a complete story. 

There are reasons why Disney wants this special charter, and trading its debt for the charter doesn’t seem to be a win for Disney, which tells me that the tax breaks Disney gets and that the State would now be getting must be substantial.  

So all that said, I prefer to ask the questions that are important to a situation like this and get answers to those questions verse having a predetermined outcome in mind and give one sided data to support that opinion.   It’s not a me problem that you don’t understand this, and not a “cat and mouse game” whatever that actually is.  

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

The article you posted was quite frankly not helpful in its assessment.   Anytime one talks about “best case/worse case” scenarios and I’m told the best case is unknown but the worst case is $2 billion in debt, well quite frankly that’s laziness from a person who already has their mind made up on the issue.   Best case isn’t anymore unknown than the worst case, because they can get the bean counters to get an estimate of property tax revenue that will now come into the state coffers, sales tax revenue that is no longer being lost due to tax breaks  that will come into the coffers, control over the regulatory environment for new construction, etc…but the journalist didn’t want to do the legwork and have a complete story. 

There are reasons why Disney wants this special charter, and trading its debt for the charter doesn’t seem to be a win for Disney, which tells me that the tax breaks Disney gets and that the State would now be getting must be substantial.  

So all that said, I prefer to ask the questions that are important to a situation like this and get answers to those questions verse having a predetermined outcome in mind and give one sided data to support that opinion.   It’s not a me problem that you don’t understand this, and not a “cat and mouse game” whatever that actually is.  

Read the thread I posted.