The Republican Utopia

15 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I've never understood the Republican support for Israel. I mean, I'm fine with them being an ally, and I surely wouldn't trade them for Palestine, but the treatment of Israel as basically an extension of our own country has always been really strange to me

On the one hand, there's a first world appreciation for Israel as the kick-a$$ military force in the Middle East, who knows how to speak the Western language better.  If you're anti-Muslim you can get over your anti-Semitism pretty quick.

And of course Israel buys a s#!t ton of weapons from the U.S. And wealthy American Jews make very large campaign contributions. 

But the biggest shift to a pro-Israel platform among conservatives the last couple decades has been the Evangelical Christian influence within military and rightwing circles.  Biblical prophecy contends that Israel/Jerusalem must be protected in order to ensure the return of Jesus and the beginning of the Rapture. 

You could always ask the candidate you voted for. They probably won't give you this answer, though, cause it sounds like they're advocating for the End Times.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/05/14/half-of-evangelicals-support-israel-because-they-believe-it-is-important-for-fulfilling-end-times-prophecy/

19 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I've never understood the Republican support for Israel. I mean, I'm fine with them being an ally, and I surely wouldn't trade them for Palestine, but the treatment of Israel as basically an extension of our own country has always been really strange to me

It doesn’t make sense. 

Im fine supporting Israel in the region. But, we should also be criticizing then when they deserve it. AND, there are times when they deserve it. 

If we did that, maybe Arabs wouldn’t hate us so much. 

• Plus1 1