The Republican Utopia

I can't help but think that spending 40 years on Death Row violates a person's 6th Amendment right. I understand the plain language only allows for a speedy trial, but surely it's not impossible to connect that to sentencing and the execution of that sentence. 

In most first-world countries that man would not only not be executed, he'd have been released from prison by now. But, of course, most of our peer countries attempt actual rehabilitation of criminals. 

• Plus1 1

I might be in the minority here, but I have zero problem with a person being in jail for life for murdering 8 yr olds girls.   I don’t care what any other country would or wouldn’t do:dunno.

That $&^%# had his chance at life, the little girl didn’t.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I might be in the minority here, but I have zero problem with a person being in jail for life for murdering 8 yr olds girls.   I don’t care what any other country would or wouldn’t do:dunno.

That $&^%# had his chance at life, the little girl didn’t.  

You're not in the minority.  However, it sure could cost less.

17 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m fine with life w/o parole instead of DP if that’s cheaper. May be even better if that life sentence really really sucks 

Cheaper

Guy spends life in sucky prison thinking about it

Society doesn't have to make decisions to kill people and Republicans can take a step to prove they are actually pro-life

Sounds like a win, win, win situation.

• Plus1 2

Maybe this is a dumb question, but if states are going to be cool with having the death penalty, why not kill them the day they get sentenced? After a month? After a year? A decade max to leave a reasonable amount of time for appeals if they were wrongly convicted?

5 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

why not kill them the day they get sentenced?

Everyone has a right to an appeal.

After a month?

Judicial system is so backed up even the initial appeal probably wouldn’t have been heard by then 

A decade max to leave a reasonable amount of time for appeals

This seems pretty reasonable 

• Plus1 1