The Republican Utopia

8 hours ago, knapplc said:

Ask me why I'll never vote Republican again.

Go ahead. Ask me.

So, let me get this straight. They cancelled the flight and stranded migrants at a remote hotel to play a joke on the media?

The same media that is keeping us informed on what is going on?

And…..Desantis is spending $12 million of Florida’s money to do this in another state on an issue that isn’t affecting his state. 

And….people think he would be a great president. 

Do I have this right?

And this is all supposed to convince us we should vote for him and other republicans?

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, let me get this straight. They cancelled the flight and stranded migrants at a remote hotel to play a joke on the media?

The same media that is keeping us informed on what is going on?

And…..Desantis is spending $12 million of Florida’s money to do this in another state on an issue that isn’t affecting his state. 

And….people think he would be a great president. 

Do I have this right?

And this is all supposed to convince us we should vote for him and other republicans?

I caught a little bit of Michael Smerconish on SiriusXM when we were driving back home last night. I like him because he goes to great lengths to entertain views and arguments legitimately from across the spectrum at face value and is pretty honest about evaluating them rather than just presenting them uncritically or giving only one view. Would recommend. I definitely get headaches listening at times but it's got to be good to be exposed to stuff I don't agree with.

His take is this stuff is clearly a stunt using humans as pawns - but nonetheless it is important to call attention to the problems with our immigration process.

What do we make of this take?

Personally I strongly disagree with the last bit. There are much more effective ways to go about fixing the problems, if that's the actual concern, than trolling blue states by manipulating migrants. For DeSantis trolling the libs is the whole goal.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Personally I strongly disagree with the last bit. There are much more effective ways to go about fixing the problems, if that's the actual concern, than trolling blue states by manipulating migrants. For DeSantis trolling the libs is the whole goal.

That's just it.  This doesn't have anything to do with fixing immigration.  If it did, Republicans would be promoting an idea of how to fix it.  But, to this date, nobody has.  Not Republicans or Democrats.  This is nothing more than a political stunt that's costing Floridians 12 million and using humans as political pawns.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's just it.  This doesn't have anything to do with fixing immigration.  If it did, Republicans would be promoting an idea of how to fix it.  But, to this date, nobody has.  Not Republicans or Democrats.  This is nothing more than a political stunt that's costing Floridians 12 million and using humans as political pawns.  

I think there have been solutions that each side has presented, some good some not so good.  They just don’t want to work together.   And one side actually sees it as an issue and one side doesn’t seem to care. 

• TBH 1
17 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I think there have been solutions that each side has presented, some good some not so good.  They just don’t want to work together.   And one side actually sees it as an issue and one side doesn’t seem to care. 

I'm pretty sure both sides have talked a lot about fixing immigration so your comment about one side not caring is pretty hollow.

The only thing I have heard from one side is building a wall.  Meanwhile, people being stopped at the border are high right now.  So, if one side doesn't care, they wouldn't be being stopped.  That argument from Republicans is tired and worn out.

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 1