The Republican Utopia

The last few pages got me pondering this again. What has gone so horribly wrong in this country that we have so many complete whackadoos in elected office and so many people that eagerly vote for them? Seriously.

My first thought was to place a lot of blame on our schools and education system but that doesn’t begin to explain it. There are too many people I went to school with that had basically the same teachers and education I did yet many of them are just as crazy and willingly vote for some of these Rs. Next thought is social media, Facebook and the like with all the targeted misinformation. But once again it does not affect everyone the same.

Really any attempt to explain how so many go off the deep end would be appreciated. These crackpot conspiracies and illogical actions have to have a source, a reason, some type of explanation. The R party is so utterly bats#!t there has to be an explanation.

• Fire 1
6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

The last few pages got me pondering this again. What has gone so horribly wrong in this country that we have so many complete whackadoos in elected office and so many people that eagerly vote for them? Seriously.

My first thought was to place a lot of blame on our schools and education system but that doesn’t begin to explain it. There are too many people I went to school with that had basically the same teachers and education I did yet many of them are just as crazy and willingly vote for some of these Rs. Next thought is social media, Facebook and the like with all the targeted misinformation. But once again it does not affect everyone the same.

Really any attempt to explain how so many go off the deep end would be appreciated. These crackpot conspiracies and illogical actions have to have a source, a reason, some type of explanation. The R party is so utterly bats#!t there has to be an explanation.

The powerful systems have reached a critical level of understanding/efficiency on what tools work and how to use them to successfully co-opt our deepest instinctual habits and we're hopeless to resist.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Lorewarn said:

The powerful systems have reached a critical level of understanding/efficiency on what tools work and how to use them to successfully co-opt our deepest instinctual habits and we're hopeless to resist.

But we’re not all hopeless to resist. Some successfully identify and avoid the crazy. There has to be something specific to some people that makes them more vulnerable and willing to embrace the stupid.

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Anyone blaming our school system are just being lazy. 

It has more to do with 24 hours “news” media that is actually party propaganda, and social media.  

People get tied to a party.  That party tells them the other party is evil and out to destroy America.  Those people then consume nothing other than media that reinforces that. 

They then vote for people who act like the social media idiots they listen to because they think that’s normal. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Anyone blaming our school system are just being lazy. 

It has more to do with 24 hours “news” media that is actually party propaganda, and social media.  

People get tied to a party.  That party tells them the other party is evil and out to destroy America.  Those people then consume nothing other than media that reinforces that. 

They then vote for people who act like the social media idiots they listen to because they think that’s normal. 

I get that but it doesn’t explain why some people get sucked into it and others don’t. I used to watch Fox news and used to listen to Rush. I gave them up because it became nonsensical and I was able to see what they were actually doing. I was pretty far right. So how was I able to turn away from it? Why can’t/don’t others?

I’ll agree that it is not our education system but some people are definitely lacking analytical skills they should’ve learned and should be able to apply later in their life.

I agree that it is basically brainwashing but I haven’t heard a good explanation why some people are able to avoid it while others are not.

14 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I get that but it doesn’t explain why some people get sucked into it and others don’t. I used to watch Fox news and used to listen to Rush. I gave them up because it became nonsensical and I was able to see what they were actually doing. I was pretty far right. So how was I able to turn away from it? Why can’t/don’t others?

I’ll agree that it is not our education system but some people are definitely lacking analytical skills they should’ve learned and should be able to apply later in their life.

I agree that it is basically brainwashing but I haven’t heard a good explanation why some people are able to avoid it while others are not.

I don’t understand it either.  I was the same way.  Ditto head.  Fox News every night.  I was able to get out of it.  

Maybe it has to do with life experiences.  Maybe you and I had something along the way that woke us up.  

I seriously think mine was my father.  I basically lost my relationship with my dad because he was so far down this rabbit hole and things he was believing just weren’t true. I started realizing where he was getting those ideas. I then started questioning what I was believing and where I was getting my info.  

Then I realized it was all a bunch of BS. And…..that’s why I’m so angry towards the whole thing. I’m pissed at people who have taken the conservative side of America and bastardized it to something that shouldn’t even be considered conservative.  But, because it’s Republican….so many vote for it. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Studies have shown that people who are susceptible to Qanon and what now appears to be the current and future state of the Republican Party,  are actually the most fearful of the world the way it is straight up.  They may present some outward don't give a f#&%ness but na.   They feel less afraid and more in control when they have a boogie man that some "strong man" will slay.  Much more comforting for them than to realize that a lot of what the world has to offer is f#&%ed up.  

Obviously you're willing to face the world the way it is and carry-on.  Cult followers like the Qanoners are broken and the fascist playbook, as cited by Zinke above, is like a banky, warm milk and cookies to them.  It soothes their anxiety and helplessness in some weird way.

As far as our elected officials like Zinke go.  He's a fraud.  He's slinging his bulls#!t for a place at the oligarch's table.  It's all a grift. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don’t understand it either.  I was the same way.  Ditto head.  Fox News every night.  I was able to get out of it.  

Maybe it has to do with life experiences.  Maybe you and I had something along the way that woke us up.  

I seriously think mine was my father.  I basically lost my relationship with my dad because he was so far down this rabbit hole and things he was believing just weren’t true. I started realizing where he was getting those ideas. I then started questioning what I was believing and where I was getting my info.  

Then I realized it was all a bunch of BS. And…..that’s why I’m so angry towards the whole thing. I’m pissed at people who have taken the conservative side of America and bastardized it to something that shouldn’t even be considered conservative.  But, because it’s Republican….so many vote for it. 

Sounds like we are similar in many ways. I just go through spells like this where I’m just amazed. It seems so easy to see through the BS yet so many can’t do it.

• TBH 1
34 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Studies have shown that people who are susceptible to Qanon and what now appears to be the current and future state of the Republican Party,  are actually the most fearful of the world the way it is straight up.  The may present some outward don't give a f#&%ness but na.   They feel less afraid and more in control when they have a boogie man that some "strong man" will slay.  Much more comfortingly for them than to realize that a lot of what the world has to offer is f#&%ed up.  

Obviously you're willing to face the world the way it is and carry-on.  Cult followers like the Qanoners are broken  and the fascist playbook, as sited by Zinke above, is like a banky, warm milk and cookies to them.  It soothes their anxiety and helplessness in some weird way.

As far as our elected officials like Zinke go.  He's a fraud.  He's slinging his bulls#!t for a place at the oligarch's table.  It's all a grift. 

I actually think I have a pretty good grip on why so many politicians embrace the crazy. Plain and simple, it works for them. Politicians, either party, tend to be the slimiest among us. They’ll do and say anything that gets them elected and that keeps their election coffers full. So whack jobs like MTG etc. are not all that surprising. Although they constantly give us reasons to wonder WTF. “Supposed plane at the Pentagon”….apparently MTG didn’t see the news coverage on 911.  Not sure how she can imply a plane didn’t hit the Pentagon or that it’s all some sort of conspiracy….except that it plays well with her desired audience, somehow.  The people that vote for these politicians though…that’s who I blame for the current conditions.

32 minutes ago, commando said:

i think one of our "conservative" friends here can translate that for us

There was some talk of phasing out gas stoves from what I hear. I think it has to do with the build up of CO that is inevitable since they leak, and the fact that most aren't vented outside.